Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 28 Aug 2018, 08:07

theseraph1 wrote:well this certainly looks interesting, big fan of all three. can you freely travel from continent to continent? or is it a "beat one, then move onto the next" type situation?
You pick your start continent. Once you meet certain conditions (I think it's either level 10 or learning the Town Portal spell -- maybe both), you'll receive a note in the next chest you open. That note will lead you to meet an individual who will tell you how to move between continents and give you a rather fun reason to do so.

There are certain "high magic" spots in each continent where casting Town Portal will instead open up a continent selection screen. In addition, higher level magic shops and higher level monsters can drop a "Dimension Door scroll" that allows continental travel from any location.

So, once you reach level 10, you basically get to roam around as you will -- provided you can meet the conditions above. (Hint: park a Lloyd's Beacon at a "high magic" spot and you can really move about at will :D )

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Aug 2018, 16:00

theseraph1 wrote:well this certainly looks interesting, big fan of all three. can you freely travel from continent to continent? or is it a "beat one, then move onto the next" type situation?
Both actually, depends on you. In certain spots specific points on all three continents, casting your Town Gate spell get's upgraded to Dimension Door. There are also scrolls of dimension door, and a few hidden locations that transport you without casting Town Gate.

The enemies scale on the continents that you haven't started in.

Also everything is easily changeable, the author gives you textfiles which you can easily edit and change anything you want, any parameter, etc.
For example - you are limited in character creation depending on where (when, technically,... spoiler I guess! :D) you start. In Enroth (MM6) you can have I think Dark Elves and Minotaurs, but not the other races that would (according to a subjective view of the author, if I remember correctly) get killed immediately by townsfolk. There is a character creation table text file where you can check which races / classes can appear as options for character creation. I'm planning on going wild! Also you can easily modify classes, etc.
Templayer wrote:I read all the 39 pages. Took me about 10 hours. I have a few notes there and there. Let me go through it.
1. Documentation - some people keep asking the same questions over and over. How are you not insane from it at this point I do not know. You have a lot of patience, I guess. :D
Case and point, I guess! :D :D :D
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Templayer
Devil
Devil

Unread postby Templayer » 28 Aug 2018, 16:02

lightbringer23 wrote: You pick your start continent. Once you meet certain conditions (I think it's either level 10 or learning the Town Portal spell -- maybe both), you'll receive a note in the next chest you open. That note will lead you to meet an individual who will tell you how to move between continents and give you a rather fun reason to do so.

There are certain "high magic" spots in each continent where casting Town Portal will instead open up a continent selection screen. In addition, higher level magic shops and higher level monsters can drop a "Dimension Door scroll" that allows continental travel from any location.

So, once you reach level 10, you basically get to roam around as you will -- provided you can meet the conditions above. (Hint: park a Lloyd's Beacon at a "high magic" spot and you can really move about at will :D )
Oh, when I've refreshed the page I did notice the guy asking for this answer, but I didn't notice there was now a new page with somebody who has already answered it. Oh, well.
MMMerge Tracker (= Info + Paint Tracker + Missing Features + Suggestions):
https://goo.gl/ui24Bz
Anybody can view or suggest edits.

Dedicated MMMerge Forum (Bug Tracker included): shorturl.at/lryAF

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 30 Aug 2018, 03:58

Well, this was surprising. Just looted a Blaster off of a Supreme Titan on Hermit's Isle. Never seen Blasters as loot before.

alexseevdenis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby alexseevdenis » 30 Aug 2018, 04:40

Machine translation:

Really weird. How many were killed by titans and dragons, this is not met.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 30 Aug 2018, 12:45

Dear Community. I loved to play these games on the computer. But now I would like to play Might and Magic Merge on my android phone with "ExaGear RPG". Did someone try it already? Or do someone know another possibility? I ask, becaouse maybe I am not the only one who would like to play it on a mobile device with android. For controlls I have a BT controller and some things would also work with touchscreen.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 31 Aug 2018, 05:49

So, finally got around to beating Enroth (M&M6) as well. I also got the "Save the Goobers" quest completed. I have now beaten all three "games/worlds" (Enroth, Antagarich, and Jadame) on one save, yet Verdant doesn't seem to be recognizing that i've beaten Antagarich (M&M7) for the Evil side. When i ask either Verdant or the Seer about "Hint" in Antagarich, they both tell me to take the Oscillation Overthruster to Kastore, even though i've already done so.
I really want to check out that new dungeon added with this mod that i keep reading about, but this quest credit bug is getting in the way.
Last edited by Daedros on 31 Aug 2018, 05:52, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 31 Aug 2018, 11:28

lightbringer23 wrote:@Echo -- I love (love) the map changes you made for your MM8 Monstrous Modling. I'm curious as to whether you think it's possible for your map changes to be added to the Merge -- for an individual user, of course, not for the Merge writ large.

I'll have to investigate it further, but I don't gather that Rodril's Merge makes a whole lot of map content changes to MM8. If the files are separated out, and I think they are, I might be able to simply swap in some of Echo's within the Merge. Please disabuse me of the notion as necessary, of course xD

So I just downloaded MMArchive and I'm exploring pulling apart LOD files and putting them back together. I'm going to see if I can take some of the things I really liked from Echo's mod and splice them into what Rodril's merge.

@Echo
If I understand your Modling correctly, I think I can achieve your hand-placed map changes by extracting the appropriate .blv and .odm files in your games.lod and replacing their counterparts in the Merge's game.lod. I don't think there's really anything else in EnglishT.lod that would affect this. Heh, imagine Merge bolstered monsters with your map placement xD

Edit: Upon further review, there's more to games.lod than blv and odm files. Fortunately, both Echo's and the Merge's games.lod archives have the same files within them. Let's see if I can simply swap archives wholesale.

Edit2: I do see that the Merge has LUA scripts for several of the areas in MM8. No clue if your map placements and changes would affect those scripts. Well, I guess that's what playtesting is for. :D
If it works out, absolutely send me the files! :) I would have no clue how to do it myself.
If you manage to get it to work, please let me know by Private Message, I might not notice it here.

Also, editing maps is a lot of fun, I'd 100% encourage you to do that too so we can have even more new stuff to play with ^^ If I had more time back then, I'd have done it a more meticulous and thought out way, but yeah, at best my changes introduce some chaos into the play :-D

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them.
lightbringer23 wrote:Continuing my Echo Monstrosity and Merge tests. I just did a fly around of the outdoor maps with my existing lvl48 Jadame party after swapping in Echo's Games.lod files.

HOLY COW I forgot how epic her map repopulations are! Apparently the new Games.lod caused all of the maps to respawn. Incidentally, Merged Boosting kicked in too. I used the default mapstat.txt that comes with the merge, so the base stats of the monsters is as in the merge.

Maps were swarming with all kinds of foes. Dire wolves packs swarming around ratman and dark dwarf camps in Ravenshore, rows of Centaurs lining the canyon walls in Alvar raining down arrows, mercenary camps all over the place guarding valuables, dragons flying around Regna Island. SO much fun!

So, if anyone is interested in doing so, it seems to be very viable to take the games.lod file from Echo's MM8 Monstrosity Modling and swap it wholesale with the Merge's games.lod -- even in an existing save game. I can't guarantee some issue won't arise -- and it's epic hardcore re-balancing -- but I was able to load and fly around all 9 outdoor maps without incident. I'm SO glad I got this to work.

Incidentally, I also feel quite justified in my plans to amp up artifact stats xD
I want those artifacts too once you make them! :-D

Curiously, cause I don't remember - are creatures actually mixed after you ported the maps? As in, are there phoenixes flying around the gogs etc or was that a part of monsters.txt? I remember I really wanted to get some creatures to be more common cause the designs were so cool and they were way too rare :D (coatls, phoenixes)
lightbringer23 wrote:Quick followup that I don't have a solution for at the moment:

Echo did some cool retexture work in Ironsand and Shadowspire. I haven't figured out how to add those textures -- simply adding them in to bitmaps.lod or 00 patch bitmaps.lod doesn't work, and replacing bitmaps.lod entirely is a disaster.

@Echo, if you can give me a little guidance about how to apply your retextures from your separated (dismembered) modling, I'd appreciate it.

Monstrosity Modling Merge idea is still completely playable. Echo's maps expect those textures, and in the lack seem to default to the kind of brown cracked earth found in Enroth. It's a little jarring in Shadowspire :O Not pretty, but entirely cosmetic.
I don't quite remember how all the files here operate, but I fear it might be a bit different with the merge. Not sure, haven't yet had the time to get into it :<

Bascially, when it comes to textures, to replace them you also need to add a palette. But absence of the palette should cause some weird grainy barf textures, not a lack of changes, so, sadly, I'm not sure how to work around it in the merge.

I was using MMArchive, simply putting the changed textures in there (as I recall it's skies, all/most terrains, escaton's crystal and Shadowspire buildings) and then also putting in the proper palettes as additions (1 palette per set of bmps, for instance 1 palette for roads, 1 palette for the cystal, 1 palette for grass etc). And it worked. But do keep in mind, I barely knew what I was doing :D Just so happened to find a way that worked.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help :(
Last edited by Echo on 31 Aug 2018, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 31 Aug 2018, 21:26

Again, no spacesuits in light ending.

I repainted the books (From MM7).
https://yadi.sk/d/CHVjcdE33apu92
Last edited by kristal on 03 Sep 2018, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Sep 2018, 10:22

I had a simple idea on how to temporarily implement MM6 and MM7 unique armors.

MM6 unique armors use the T5 armor sprites anyway, so you can just assign those to the MM8 ones without changing them.
- For Hareck's Leather - take the sprites of the Regnan Leather and put a red filter on them - simple yet effective. For added difficulty and effect, you could omit the white places on the armor.
- For Yoruba, take a Dark Knight Plate or a Dragonning Plate and put a yellowish filter on them, ez pz

This could be a workable solution unitl the graphics from MM7 and MM8 are properly integrated (which might be a long time, but worth waiting for IMO)
Last edited by Xfing on 01 Sep 2018, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 01 Sep 2018, 12:03

With Bartholomew Hume, the dialogue for completing Master promotion overwrites the dialogue option for Initiate, so you can't promote anyone to initiate if you complete the Master quest.

With William Lasker, no dialogue appears when the Spy quest is given.

No dialogue appears for the Hero quest in Erathia either.

Rebecca Devine's dialogue option for giving the Priest of Light quest remains, so there are two dialogue options after getting the quest. If you click the first one again after completing the quest, she will give the quest again and it will remain in your log. The first one should probably be removed after she gives the quest. Speaking of the quest, it improves reputation by 50... shouldn't it be 5?

Going back to Harmondale from the Arena drains 5 food and takes 9 days. It should take 4 days without consuming food. Travel from Bracada to Evenmorn Island and back should take 1 day. It takes 3.

Seven League Boots appear but there are no graphics for them. Maybe disable them until the sprite is done?
Last edited by Phobos on 01 Sep 2018, 13:36, edited 5 times in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 02 Sep 2018, 06:13

On one of my saves (Dragon protagonist), only about 8 random hirelings will appear in Training Halls/Inns. Cathy (Priest), Evelyn (Vampire), Ivan (Priest), Santos (Dark Elf), Dwane (Necromancer), Alaine (Cavalier), Yves (Troll) and Alice (Druid). I've never seen any other Hirelings appear in that save, so no Monks, Rangers, Paladins, etc. I have hired Evelyn and Alice, and yet they still appear sometimes in Training Halls, despite me already having them at the Adventurer's Inn.
On another save (Monk protagonist), all random hirelings seem available.
Is the list of available random hirelings generated only once, when you create a new game? If so, that could explain why the Dragon save only get's 8 random Hirelings, it's an older save.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 Sep 2018, 23:30

Hello. Patch link have been updated, few bugs have been fixed and base for mm67-alike npc hirelings have been added, details below.
Bug with mm7 ending should be fixed now. If you playing light side, speak with Resurectra again and check chests, wetsuits should appear. If you playing dark side and Verdant does not recognize ending of mm7 story, only way is to use debug console to repair save game, sorry. Open it with ctrl+f1 and execute this code with ctrl+enter:
Party.QBits[783] = true
I've added three lines to Class.txt from EnglishT.lod, so reapply localization files if you use them.
@Roor add new lines to Class.txt of spanish localization, please.

After this update you will be able to hire npc on streets of major towns (everywhere in Enroth, in Steadwick, Avlee, Deyja, Harmondale and Pierpont in Erathia and in Ravenshore, Alvar and Balthazar's lair in Jadam). There are two kinds of hirelings: 1st is classic npc followers from mm6/7, at current moment only few of them working (healers, spellcasters, cooks) and their texts are not localizated; 2nd is peasants - these will join in main frame of your party as active players with class "Peasant", skill teachers can promote them to any first step of other advanced classes (even to vampires). Peasants are always level 1 with 0 exp, with only four skills. Also you can start game as peasant, just why not. I hope it will solve problem with party customization.
Daedros wrote:Is the list of available random hirelings generated only once, when you create a new game?
No, but maximum amount of random hirelings is 8. There are not enough room in roster.txt to make more, but unlike classic players, random ones are not permanent, they will disappear within three days, if you'll dismiss them in any unconcinious state, or if you won't hire them for year and total value of their items less than 15000 gold.
Phobos wrote:Seven League Boots appear but there are no graphics for them. Maybe disable them until the sprite is done?
I have not disabled boots yet, but where have you found them? Issues with promotion topics should be fixed in this update.
I did not have time to fix issue with enchantments, and item details from previous post. Traveling in Nighon caves should work correctly now and fighting with monsters should not cause appearing of debug console anymore.
kristal wrote:Again, no spacesuits in light ending.
I repainted the books (From MM7).
https://yadi.sk/d/CHVjcdE33apu92
Bug with ending should be fixed now. Thanks. I've added "NPC professions.txt" into "Data\Tables" folder, it have a bit diffrent structure than mm6 one, but similar enough. Only few effects of having npc in group were rescripted for now. Index of NPCText.txt can be used instead of actual text in "Text" field.

I'll try to fix other bugs listed above in next update, thanks for announcing them.
Last edited by Rodril on 03 Sep 2018, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 04 Sep 2018, 03:05

Rodril wrote: If you playing dark side and Verdant does not recognize ending of mm7 story, only way is to use debug console to repair save game, sorry. Open it with ctrl+f1 and execute this code with ctrl+enter:
Party.QBits[783] = true
Even with that code, Verdant doesn't seem to recognize that the quest is finished.

Edit: Nevermind. I just had to pass through the corridor in Castle Gloaming after inputting that code for Verdant to recognize the quest was complete.
Last edited by Daedros on 05 Sep 2018, 10:31, edited 4 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Sep 2018, 07:54

GrayFace wrote:
Xfing wrote:Oh, and the recovery time for blasters still doesn't work properly. It still displays as 30 - Haste or not - but even without Haste, appears to functionally be at 5 (or somewhere around that - very fast in any case). In original MM7 (with Grayface's patch of course), the standby recovery rate for the blaster for any character would be around 20, getting smaller with more points in the Speed stat. It would settle at 5 only when Haste is in play.
That's because I didn't account for blasters in MM8 patch.
I was wrong, my patch for MM8 does check for blaster when displaying the recovery time info, so it should work.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 05 Sep 2018, 19:28

Rodril wrote: Bug with ending should be fixed now. Thanks. I've added "NPC professions.txt" into "Data\Tables" folder, it have a bit diffrent structure than mm6 one, but similar enough. Only few effects of having npc in group were rescripted for now. Index of NPCText.txt can be used instead of actual text in "Text" field.

I'll try to fix other bugs listed above in next update, thanks for announcing them.
Great! Thank you very much for the development of Might and Magic!
How to edit peasants? For example, I want to translate the text and to hire Lizardmen peasant.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 06 Sep 2018, 11:05

So i got the Runaway Chaos, and yet i can't enter the middle area in the Breach at all. I assume that is the Uneasy Origin Matter. It repeatedly repels me no matter how i try to enter it.

Edit: Nm. Found that the "Mine" isn't actually blocked off.
Last edited by Daedros on 06 Sep 2018, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

majaczek
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby majaczek » 06 Sep 2018, 13:26

I cant get damn pilo stones from dragons :(
is there a cheatcode to reset clanker's lab?

dsage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dsage » 06 Sep 2018, 14:12

Made an account to thank you for the amazing work you've done in getting all of this working. It feels like I'm playing an entirely different game!

I'd also like to report a bug on my end. I just got Arch Druid and spent some time making potions of pure stats for each of my party members. However, while the other potions worked without issue, none of my party members can drink Pure Speed and act like they've all had one already. I reloaded to before I had them drink any of the other potions thinking maybe that was the issue, but even having them try to drink the Pure Speed potions first doesn't work.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 06 Sep 2018, 17:29

I can't remember where I got the Seven league boots... could have been a random drop or chest! :D

Return to “Might and Magic”