GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.1 [Aug 7, 2018]

Unread postby GrayFace » 28 Jul 2018, 21:45

Xfing wrote: What I'm getting at is that if I'm dual-wielding Snake in the Troll's left hand, my damage should increase by Snake's damage (3d4+12), as it does in the instances where this mechanic works properly. Instead, as I raise the Mace skill, the damage benefit from Snake is getting slowly negated. It should stay consistent, regardless of my Mace skill.
That's a quirk of MM mechanics, not a bug. Basically, only one weapon skill is used in all calculations and for damage/attack it's the 2nd weapon skill. For recovery time it's the one of slower weapon. Strange mechanic, but it can be more interesting than 2nd weapon always being beneficial.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 29 Jul 2018, 10:00

GrayFace wrote:
Xfing wrote: What I'm getting at is that if I'm dual-wielding Snake in the Troll's left hand, my damage should increase by Snake's damage (3d4+12), as it does in the instances where this mechanic works properly. Instead, as I raise the Mace skill, the damage benefit from Snake is getting slowly negated. It should stay consistent, regardless of my Mace skill.
That's a quirk of MM mechanics, not a bug. Basically, only one weapon skill is used in all calculations and for damage/attack it's the 2nd weapon skill. For recovery time it's the one of slower weapon. Strange mechanic, but it can be more interesting than 2nd weapon always being beneficial.
I suppose so, but then again, dunno - what's the point of the Troll having Master in Sword if he can't synergize between it and the mace at all?

Mortis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mortis » 29 Jul 2018, 12:35

Xfing wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
I suppose so, but then again, dunno - what's the point of the Troll having Master in Sword if he can't synergize between it and the mace at all?
For sword enchantments like vampirism, additional elemental (common swords) or light/dark (glomenthal/elsenrail) damages or special effects like your Snake slow :) . In addition I think that trolls after vampires are only reasonable class for wielding Hades sword in left hand due to his effect of Negative regeneration.

Allester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.1 [July 7, 2018]

Unread postby Allester » 20 Aug 2018, 23:37

Hey GrayFace! Long time

So I used your new updates, and then tried to run M&M8... only for my buttons to no longer work with the mouse AT ALL.

WINDOWED MODE
mm8.ini
[settings]
WIDTH: 1024
HEIGHT: 728

This is my screen settings, but now it seems like the new patch has forced the buttons BACK to their 640x480 positions and becomes unclickable... as well as now I can't click on my normal monitor without it 'clicking' other open apps. Could you look in to this please? It's making the game 100% unplayable in windowed mode and I need to see my twitch chat to keep in touch with my viewers while streaming, LOL! xP

FIXED: Noticed that I need to edit the "WINDOWIDTH=" part and remove "WIDTH" "HEIGHT" from settings!
Last edited by Allester on 20 Aug 2018, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 Sep 2018, 23:40

Hello. I have issue with new patch, but can not find it's reasons at the moment.
There is conditional jump at 0x47f0cd ("ja 0x47f707"), at some moment during map loading it changes to straight jump out of mm8.exe (jmp 0xXXXXXXX), according to stack, patch does this. Problem appears when patch changes jump into it's original form: it does not clear "nop" left after previous change, - "ja" require 6 bytes and in fact it is "ja 0x634", with uncleared nop at 6th byte of command it becomes "ja 0x90000634", what leads to game crash if jump is taken.
I could not reproduce this issue in original mm8 (first change has not happened), in mm678 I've added crutch at the moment. I wonder what happens there, could it be issue in patch or is it my mistake somewhere?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Sep 2018, 06:04

Thanks, it's my bug, here's the fix: https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension ... 6fe1032b79
Last edited by GrayFace on 05 Sep 2018, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 11 Feb 2019, 21:39

Is there a way to change the resolution of the game? I did not find an entry in the ini. If not, can I alternatively make the game fill the entire screen by stretching it?

Edit: To be precise, I am trying to get rid of the black bars on the sides of my screen. Is that possible? I should also mention that I am using DgVoodoo.
Last edited by NotABroom on 12 Feb 2019, 21:50, edited 3 times in total.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

2.1 & the High Res Mod

Unread postby EstelRandir » 17 Feb 2019, 00:33

On Win10, If you use both the GrayFace mod & the high res mod - there are major issues with the camera spinning while mouselook is enabled. I have "fixes". But the fixes involve the mouse being halfway unbound from the fullscreen boudaries on the bottom & right. I can live with that, but it is a bit annoying.

Is there anyway to make these two mods fully compatable for Win10?
Last edited by EstelRandir on 17 Feb 2019, 04:46, edited 3 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 17 Feb 2019, 07:20

I think you don't need high res mod for 2.1 version of patch. Just edit fields in mm8.ini:
WindowWidth=-1
WindowHeight=720
BorderlessFullscreen=1
Press "f4" to switch to fullscreen.

EstelRandir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby EstelRandir » 17 Feb 2019, 08:04

Rodril wrote:I think you don't need high res mod for 2.1 version of patch. Just edit fields in mm8.ini:
WindowWidth=-1
WindowHeight=720
BorderlessFullscreen=1
Press "f4" to switch to fullscreen.
I am not sure what the WindowHeight is supposed to do, but I cannot tell any difference between the default 2.1 patch and these values. The high res mod has a quite nice effect without having to upgrade all the game texture files. I think it is the best we will get until someone does an HD remake, if ever.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 17 Mar 2019, 09:39

Version 2.2
<< MM6 - MM8 >>
[+] Quick load key now works during the death movie.
[+] Game window is resizeable.
[+] StretchWidth and StretchHeight parameters specify the factors by which the game area gets stretched to reduce black bars on the sides. StretchWidthFull and StretchHeightFull parameters are used only if it makes the game occupy the whole screen.
[+] Now in Software rendering mode the view is always scaled linearly, which makes it less flickery.
[+] Data\MouseLookCursorHD.bmp is used for mouse look in 32-bit color mode if window is bigger than 640x480.
[+] Customizable mouse cursors: Data\MouseCursorArrow.cur and Data\MouseCursorTarget.cur are used if present.
[+] Patch now bypasses dgVoodoo DLLs if SupportTrueColor is not disabled.
[+] Minimaps zoom level is remembered always, not just outdoors as before.
[-] Fixed a crash found in Tatalia in MM7.
[-] Inactive characters couldn't interact with chests.
[-] Animated textures (via TFT) were animated incorrectly: first frame was longer, last frame was shorter.
[-] My bug: ScalingParam2 was read from ScalingParam1 entry.
[-] My bug: Mouse placed in the bottom-right corner was causing a crash sometimes.
[*] Smarter FixInactivePlayersActing: now you can select inactive characters, but they can't act.
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[+] Accurate sprites coordinates in D3D mode.
[+] Pixel-perfect mouse targeting in HD mode.
[+] Set TurnBasedWalkDelay to a value of your choice (e.g. 100) to be able to do individual steps in the walking phase of turn-based combat.
[+] Better water animation.
[+] MipmapsBase section in the INI controls how many mipmip levels matching textures can use. Smaller values lead to more mipmaps.
[+] Separate HDWTRCountHWL, HDWTRDelayHWL options for the NoD3DBitmapHwl=0 case.
[+] Hidden FixMonsterSummon option (1 - enabled by default).
[-] Some small cosmetic bugs fixed by changing pictures from icons.lod.
[-] Combination of IsWater and AnimateTFT facet attributes was causing texture change in D3D.
[-] Fixed a rare crash caused by a facet without a single vertex.
[-] My bug: Sparks effect was displayed incorrectly in the previous version.
<< MM8 >>
[+] "FixQuickSpell" hidden option you can set to 0 if you want to use the bug.
[-] In Software rendering mode water shore is no longer bumpy. Set NoWaterShoreBumpsSW=0 to disable this.
[-] Mass Distortion and Implosion spells wasted monsters' turn, but didn't work. Now they aren't used.
[-] 8 leftmost pixels of paper doll area didn't react to clicks.
[-] Monsters/items/effects weren't visible on the sides of the view outdoors.
[-] Party wasn't centered on the minimap.
<< Fixes in maps >>
[-] Castle of Air (d27) - 100k experience was given upon exiting the Plane of Air after getting the Heart of Air, so using Town Portal could lead to it getting skipping.
[-] Castle of Fire (d29) - same as above.
[-] Alvar (out03) - upon entering the Ogre Raiding Fort the party was facing in a wrong direction.
[-] Dagger Wound Islands (out01) - upon entering the Uplifted Library the party was facing in a wrong direction.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.2 [March 17, 2019]

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Mar 2019, 17:33

Ok, how do you enable a fully stretched view? StretchWidthFull and StretchHeightFull don't seem to be working for me.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 Mar 2019, 18:59

Xfing wrote:Ok, how do you enable a fully stretched view? StretchWidthFull and StretchHeightFull don't seem to be working for me.
They should. Set them to 2 for example.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 29 Mar 2019, 16:33

Hello,

just like in the mm7 patch thread, I'd like to post a couple bugs I noticed.

First was in a quest log right at the beginning of the game. I took all the quests on dagger wound, the log showed them correctly, but when I went through the abandoned temple and finished it, I opened up the list and noticed that some quests disappeared from the log. One reappeared after I clicked on another tab and back, next reappeared after I turned another quest in. The quests functioned as normal, just the log didn't display things correctly it seems.

Another minor visual bug I found is that hovering over certain spells in the spell book doesn't light them up (works on some, doesn't on others, playing in borderless window at 1080p btw).
Last edited by Novi on 29 Mar 2019, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 30 Mar 2019, 12:10

GrayFace wrote:
Xfing wrote:Ok, how do you enable a fully stretched view? StretchWidthFull and StretchHeightFull don't seem to be working for me.
They should. Set them to 2 for example.
Ok, will do!

BTW, a question just to you - since you are following the Merge topic: are you taking note of bugs reported there which were an issue with the core game and could be fixed just for the standalone games? There are certain such bugs reported in the merge thread every now and then instead of here, just because of how popular the Merge has gotten.

Another question: You've removed the spells that aren't working from the elementals (Imposion, Mass Distortion). Do you think it's even possible to fix the base game's code so that spells like this (hitscan, single target) could be made to work? The behemoth lookalikes in the Plane Between Planes also carry Paralyze, which likewise makes them waste a turn without working (unless you've already fixed it, just forgot to mention it in the patch notes). If this spell worked, to say it would be a big deal in terms of difficulty would be an understatement. The party would have to come prepared with "immune to paralysis" gear, otherwise they could get incapacitated in mid-flight in a few seconds if not invisible. I might have asked you that question before and you opted to remove the spells altogether, but obviously the desired long-term solution would be to get them to work somehow, if possible.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Apr 2019, 10:39

Xfing wrote:BTW, a question just to you - since you are following the Merge topic: are you taking note of bugs reported there which were an issue with the core game and could be fixed just for the standalone games? There are certain such bugs reported in the merge thread every now and then instead of here, just because of how popular the Merge has gotten.
No, I don't follow it, I only visit it occasionally.
Xfing wrote: Another question: You've removed the spells that aren't working from the elementals (Imposion, Mass Distortion). Do you think it's even possible to fix the base game's code so that spells like this (hitscan, single target) could be made to work? The behemoth lookalikes in the Plane Between Planes also carry Paralyze, which likewise makes them waste a turn without working (unless you've already fixed it, just forgot to mention it in the patch notes). If this spell worked, to say it would be a big deal in terms of difficulty would be an understatement. The party would have to come prepared with "immune to paralysis" gear, otherwise they could get incapacitated in mid-flight in a few seconds if not invisible. I might have asked you that question before and you opted to remove the spells altogether, but obviously the desired long-term solution would be to get them to work somehow, if possible.
Paralyze was disabled in the previous version, then people told me about other non-functioning spells. Do you remember blue balls Empress Medusas throw at you in MM6? That shows how Paralyze spell is supposed to look. Whether it should work as a proper spell on impact is unknown - that is, the spell you cast is temporary unlike the Paralyzed condition. So yes, in MM6 these balls don't do anything either, but they look cool, so I ruled against messing with them :)
A proper fix is only a question of effort vs benefit, that is, technically entirely possible.
Last edited by GrayFace on 07 Apr 2019, 11:07, edited 2 times in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 08 Apr 2019, 12:04

GrayFace wrote: Paralyze was disabled in the previous version, then people told me about other non-functioning spells. Do you remember blue balls Empress Medusas throw at you in MM6? That shows how Paralyze spell is supposed to look. Whether it should work as a proper spell on impact is unknown - that is, the spell you cast is temporary unlike the Paralyzed condition. So yes, in MM6 these balls don't do anything either, but they look cool, so I ruled against messing with them :)
A proper fix is only a question of effort vs benefit, that is, technically entirely possible.
Well, I don't remember if Paralyze was a castable spell by the party in MM6, but in MM7 and 8 it was instantly hitting, with no projectiles. So I presume the same was programmed for the plane guardians, that's why it's not working.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Apr 2019, 22:23

Xfing wrote:So I presume the same was programmed for the plane guardians, that's why it's not working.
No, they're not working in MM6 either. How they wanted to implement them is unknown, but only projectiles similar to MM6 would make sense. As for Implosion and Mass Distortion, these may be implemented almost without projectiles - that is, they still must not shoot through walls, so maybe a super fast invisible projectile would be the right call.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 08 Apr 2019, 22:40

GrayFace wrote:
Xfing wrote:So I presume the same was programmed for the plane guardians, that's why it's not working.
No, they're not working in MM6 either. How they wanted to implement them is unknown, but only projectiles similar to MM6 would make sense. As for Implosion and Mass Distortion, these may be implemented almost without projectiles - that is, they still must not shoot through walls, so maybe a super fast invisible projectile would be the right call.
Shouldn't they work like Medusa stone in MM7? A chance of applying the status on hit?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Apr 2019, 23:20

Novi wrote:Shouldn't they work like Medusa stone in MM7? A chance of applying the status on hit?
There's a Paralyze 'Bonus' and it works perfectly fine. However, Plane Guardians have Paralyze set as a spell.

Return to “Might and Magic”