Tech Corner

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Tech Corner

Unread postby Pol » 06 Jul 2018, 06:38

Considering that you won't need MI accelaration and will have just one graphic card, you can safely go with B370 chipset.

So you can go from:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty% ... ming%20K4/
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-GAMING-PRO-CARBON

And if you wold like high end, with just everything, you may go with this:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty% ... ming%20K4/

Be careful about just USB-C and different memory supported freqs, RAM compatibility should be also checked by their sheet.

Edit1
Pondering about it again, C470 for a good price is a superior solution - because these board comes with a lil better LAN and sound - cuz they are more gaming oriented. As for brands AsRock, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte - it probably doens't matter so much. AsRock is usually cheapest with their Fata1ity line.
Last edited by Pol on 06 Jul 2018, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 06 Jul 2018, 17:45

That Fatality does not appear to support the RAM speed I selected. Is that a problem?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/5063 ... otherboard
http://www.microcenter.com/product/5074 ... Memory_Kit

What about this one? It listed extra features like Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth v5.0.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/5066 ... otherboard

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jul 2018, 08:41

As for the memory, it should work. There is G.Skill code translation:
https://www.gskill.com/en/faq/DRAM_Memory

So even, if not listed directly, there are similar G.Skill RAMs with same values. They begins with "F4-300" - like F4-3000C15Q-16GRR, yours is F4-3000C15D-16GVRB. Also check if they are not too high, seeing all these heatspreaders.

As for the second board, it looks better and the same apply for memory compatibility.

These sheets are old, I don't see any match here for higher freq., some lower ones can be found however.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 08 Jul 2018, 18:19

I bought the Acer monitor I posted earlier and should receive it next week. I saw the display model of the 49" Samsung and it was wide, but vertically it was a lot smaller than other monitors. Also 1080p. I didn't like it.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy all the parts. The video card I was looking at just went up $30 dollars :tsdown: so I might choose a different one.

Which is better:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4787 ... Video_Card

or

http://www.microcenter.com/product/5038 ... Video_Card

The computer parts cost about $950 + $150 fee for the store to build it :(. I paid $400 for the monitor. Total cost ~$1500.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 08 Jul 2018, 20:11

Costly, all the way! But this performance will last for several years.

Power Color one is better, let see the specs:

DisplayPort 4096x2160
HDMI 4096x2160
Board Dimensions 255mm*157mm*46mm
Minimum System Power requirement (W) 550W
Extension Power Connector One 6-Pin and One 8-Pin PCI Express Power connectors
Wide: Fully occupy three slots

Take care about physical dimensions, if all will fit. And I think that you have stronger PSU, right?

You may likely need some extra system cooler(s) to keep it cool. No idea, if they can advise you some, when assembling it. Ask them. ;)
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 08 Jul 2018, 21:34

This is my current power supply. Is it good enough?

https://www.evga.com/products/product.a ... G2-0750-XR

They told me everything will fit. Here is my case:

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/prod ... ctic-white

I will ask them about cooling. Thanks Pol! You're the best. ;)

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jul 2018, 05:20

Yes, that's more than enough power.

According a pic, there's one system cooler already. Ultimately they will see it when assembling. ;)

Edit1
Hmm, people says that prices of graphic card should go down, slowly - because mining fewer is over. As for other components, like RAM, especially seen within Europe, that story is quite the opposite.
Last edited by Pol on 09 Jul 2018, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Jul 2018, 22:01

I received the monitor a few days ago, but because my PC build isn't finished I can't try it out... I called store today and the guy who is supposed to be building it was not even working that day. ;| Hopefully, PC will be finished tomorrow and I can talk more about everything.

The stand is sturdy and the 32 inch screen and slim profile looks nice.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 13 Jul 2018, 03:51

Here is my PC naked and unpowered:

There's two things I'm not sure about.

I followed the steps to reactivate windows 10 after hardware change, but I get message that it can't reactivate.

I also downloaded driver for my monitor, but it has file extensions like .hlkx that I don't know what to do with. I'm not even sure if this is necessary, but I would like to get optimal view from my monitor and I'm not sure how.

EDIT: Activation problem was solved by contacting Microsoft and having worker take control of my computer (and maybe stealing all my files in the process). :embarrased:

Also, audio on monitor is worse than old monitor. Seems like I'll need to buy speakers in the future. :canthear:
Last edited by mr.hackcrag on 13 Jul 2018, 05:48, edited 2 times in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Jul 2018, 06:01

mr.hackcrag wrote:Here is my PC naked and unpowered:
I also downloaded driver for my monitor, but it has file extensions like .hlkx that I don't know what to do with. I'm not even sure if this is necessary, but I would like to get optimal view from my monitor and I'm not sure how.

EDIT: Activation problem was solved by contacting Microsoft and having worker take control of my computer (and maybe stealing all my files in the process). :embarrased:

Also, audio on monitor is worse than old monitor. Seems like I'll need to buy speakers in the future. :canthear:
From where, link? There should be also described installation procedure.

Hah, my first monitor had after time better speakers than a screen, that was very old AOC. Anyway, yes, that is to be inevitable, for a good sound you should have good wooden speakers, although they can be small, like mine. :P
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 13 Jul 2018, 06:50

Here is link:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/s ... t/7386?b=1

Monitor tends to be strong on blue side on default settings. I'm using HDMI connection instead of the DP that came with the monitor.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Jul 2018, 08:14

I see.

Go to the device manager, open properties for you monitor, click update driver and select the folder where you have it extracted. Confirm.

The installation file is having extension .inf, .hklx is some library.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 13 Jul 2018, 18:06

I did all that only to find out that it was already latest driver. ;|

When I compare images with my old monitor and this new one, although the new monitor looks better, it also doesn't look natural. I don't think the colors are authentic (online shopping for clothes might be a surprise now). 8|

I don't know if I should use Windows Calibration tool or just keep current settings. There are many different display settings that I don't know which is optimal:

sRGB
Rec 709
HDR
Standard
ECO
Graphics
Movie

The other downside to this monitor is that you can't use HDR and FreeSync settings at the same time. I don't know why they would make it like that.

Also a small change in viewing angle has noticeable changes on the screen.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 Jul 2018, 19:34

sRGB is the best for colors, and you can calibrate it here. According your description you have it likely oversaturated or with some color tint. Try some calibrating images/program to make it better.

Images like this (though for printer) can also help you.
https://www.custom-printed-cards.co.uk/ ... -Print.pdf

You should calibrate the monitor itself, from the menu - not windows tool, that's secondary.

Mmm, you probably now know why I recommended that DELL
. But don't worry, calibration can usually fix that. As for angle, that's light depending, sure more sensitive on curved panels.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 15 Jul 2018, 23:16

I don't quite understand what to do with that picture. :|

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Jul 2018, 08:14

Calibrate by eye, assuming that you don't have it as a print. There a skin tones, grey-shadow spiral and so on. If all of them will look natural, you are done!
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 20 Jul 2018, 02:18

I'm having a problem and not sure what is causing it. Sometimes, when I am playing a game, the monitor flickers to black screen.

The worst case of this was when I tried MTG Arena. While searching through card library, everything is fine, but when I play a match, the screen starts flickering every few seconds and eventually the screen turns completely green and I have to restart my PC to resolve it.

I am not sure if the problem is on because of my PC or Monitor, or it is problem with game and not on my end?

Any ideas?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 20 Jul 2018, 05:44

Can you test it wit your old monitor?

The problem sounds like a drivers (lcd/vga), but you need to confirm it before.
"We made it!"

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 21 Jul 2018, 00:13

Yes I can test it with my old monitor, but I'm lazy now and just decided to uninstall game instead. :P

I noticed another thing. When I connect monitor with Display Port included, I get different display options in my monitor compared to HDMI. For example Display Port as higher color depth setting and I think Pixel Format. The display port colors look more natural and less saturated similar to how my old monitor made images look.

I think it is because HDMI is old (bought it many years ago). However, when I connect with Display Port, I cannot select the HDR preset mode on the monitor. I don't know why.

So is the display port the superior way to connect my monitor or is HDMI? I'm so confused. :|

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 22 Jul 2018, 11:05

I learned that when I use the display port that game (which is still in beta btw) doesn't do any more screen flickering. That's strange. Maybe it had to do with the graphic settings that were being used when the HDMI was connected.

However, my PC fan is constantly running heavily when playing it and I don't think that's normal because it is not a graphically intense game. Should I be concerned about the fan constantly operating for a long time?

Return to “Campfire”