GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ripley Riley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.0 [Sep 21, 2015]

Unread postby Ripley Riley » 06 Jun 2018, 16:32

I have installed the patch, or so I think, but I'm not sure it was successful...
1. Downloaded the patch from here: https://grayface.github.io/mm/#GrayFace-MM7-Patch
2. Ran MM7 Patch v2.0.exe
3. Next
4. Next
5. Next
6. Clicked yes to create a new folder
7. Next
8. Install
9. Finish

No errors, but I do not see anywhere I can confirm the patch is in place. I also can't locate a .ini file in the Might and Magic 7 directory.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 07 Jun 2018, 03:51

Have you tried installing Grayface's patch as an administrator? (Right-click the patch executable > run as admin)

Ripley Riley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ripley Riley » 08 Jun 2018, 14:49

I did. No change.
This may be a dumb question, but where should I be extracting the patch to?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 16 Jun 2018, 07:01

Sorry for the late reply. Just fyi, I don't have any Might & Magic games installed at the moment, as I'm currently in the process of getting a new PC, but I'll still try to recall what I remember. In my case, It didn't matter where I extracted the patch to, if you mean taking the executable out of the zip/rar file. I"m pretty sure once you ran the patch executable, it auto-detects where MM7 is installed and patches it automatically. I think one of the ways that you can confirm the patch is in place is by checking the DATA folder and seeing if you have any files in there starting with "00patch" or something similar to that.

If it's not patching, then I really don't know how you could fix it, other than making sure you installed MM7 via administrative mode and installing the patch via administrative mode.

Also, if no .ini file is showing up, I think you have to run MM7 at least once before it generates. Maybe you didn't run the MM7 install executable as an admin? I recall my Dad having problems with his game because he didn't do that, but once he went back and did that, everything worked.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know if you managed to solve your problem, and if so, how?
Last edited by Anubis on 16 Jun 2018, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 01 Jul 2018, 08:26

Xfing wrote:Also, I know this is pretty much common knowledge right now, but do you think you could fix the permanent zombie portrait bug/exploit? When your entire party dies once you have zombies in your party, after getting the "go back to the land of the living" screen, those characters will keep their zombie portraits forever.
Never heard of it before! Added to the list.
Grimples wrote:The additional keybindings dont work like they do in M&M6 & i have no idea where the keybindings are saved.
In the registry. They're configured right in the game's Options.
ark1890 wrote:Hello GrayFace, I would like to ask is it possible to implement the playback of WAV files in your patches for MM6-MM8 (alongside with mp3). I would like to get the best possible quality of music. I know that I can play music from a CD, but using of the ripped WAV files is much more convenient. Thanks.
Great idea! This would also solve issues with music looping. It's funny how I got used to WAVs being way too huge to be used for songs back in the day and now they're peanuts.
Sinatar wrote:Is there a workaround for the music not looping with this patch? I've tried to find something online but have had no luck.
Different encoding options. In particular, constant bitrate and probably some other limitations. These should probably work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/brp17dzrcs1r1 ... c.rar?dl=0
If there is a better mp3dec.asi file compatible with MM version of mss32.dll somewhere, that would be perfect.
Macros the Black wrote:Is it possible to slow down walking when in turn-based mode? I assume there should be a way to limit the speed right? I think we're supposed to be able to take 5 individual steps instead of just leaping in one direction.
Sure, that would be possible to fix. Added to the list.
Last edited by GrayFace on 01 Jul 2018, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.1 [Aug 7, 2018]

Unread postby GrayFace » 07 Jul 2018, 19:18

Version 2.1
<< MM6 - MM8 >>
[+] High resolution rendering in Hardware 3D in 32 bit color mode. 32 bit color is supported in windowed and borderless modes. Can be turned off by adding "SupportTrueColor=0" to INI. You can specify RenderMaxWidth and RenderMaxHeight options to limit maximum rendering resolution if you experience problems with FPS. Hidden options ScalingParam1 (3 by default) and ScalingParam2 (0.2 by default) control crispness of UI scaling.
[+] BorderlessFullscreen option makes the game run in your standard resolution, stretched to full screen (with black borders when needed). Set it to 0 to disable.
[+] WindowWidth and WindowHeight options control window size in windowed mode. Value of -1 means calculate automatically based on aspect ratio.
[+] Movies are smoothly stretched to any window size. To turn off in old full screen mode, add "SmoothMovieScaling=0" to INI, for windowed mode add "CompatibleMovieRender=0" (not recommended!).
[+] Custom SND and VID archives that work just like custom LOD archives.
[+] TurnBasedSpeed (for monsters' turn) and TurnBasedPartySpeed (for party turn) can help you speed up the combat.
[+] When switching from mouse look to 'standard mode' the mouse would start at screen center if over 10 seconds have passed since last switch. Otherwise it will return to its last position. Number of seconds is controlled by hidden MouseLookRememberTime option.
[+] While right mouse button is pressed the mouse look is now deactivated, letting you easily check active spells, current time or perform an action by pressing left mouse button while still holding the right button. Set MouseLookWhileRightClick=1 to keep mouse look active.
[+] PlayMP3 option now supports WAV files in Music folder. WAVs always loop properly.
[+] Another approach to fixing chests: now chest contents are reordered to make most valuable items be put into the chest first. This can be disabled by setting FixChestsByReorder=0.
[+] Black potion isn't wasted if it has no effect.
[+] Infinite view distance in dungeons (monsters don't disappear when they are too far).
[+] FixInfiniteScrolls hidden option controls corresponding fix.
[-] Fixed problems with timers: timer countdown was reset if you visited the location before the timer period passes; in MM6, upon revisiting the map late into in the game, wells could be used a huge number of times; in MM8 timers not related to refill were working differently than in other games. Add "FixTimers=0" to INI to disable the fix.
[-] My bug: *.evt and *.str weren't loaded correctly from DataFiles.
[-] Monsters are unlikely to jump from a bridge into lava now. Hidden "MonsterJumpDownLimit" controls the height from which they won't jump (500 by default).
[-] Jumping height reduced a bit, because the party started jumping too high after movement rounding fix. Also, "FixMovement=0" hidden option added that returns vanilla movement.
[-] Blasters and some spells couldn't target rats.
[-] Crash with sprites with scale too small (happens with MM6HD).
[-] Town Portal wasting player's turn even if you cancel the dialog.
[-] EVT commands couldn't operate on some skills.
[-] Crash on exit.
[*] Some options made 'hidden' to reduce INI clutter.
<< MM6, MM7 >>
[-] My bug: crash when loading custom LOD archives. (don't know how it even worked at all!)
[-] Out-of-bounds memory read in buy dialog when no player is active.
[-] Shops were buying blasters.
<< MM7, MM8 >>
[+] Mipmapping in D3D, controlled by "MipmapsCount" option. Value of 3 is optimal. Bigger values lead to less flickering at distance, but reduce resolution too much. Set to 1 to disable, as it was in original game. Set to -1 to generate a lot of mipmaps.
[-] There's was a small semi-transparent black contour around sprites and sea shore in Hardware 3D mode.
[-] Broken but unidentified items were green instead of red if you go to a shop to repair them.
[-] Casting Telepathy spell or stealing from a monster used to prevent you from finding random items in its corpse.
[-] Light gray blinking in full screen (not on every system).
[-] Arcomage crashing, hanging.
[-] Loading game while in movement phase of turn based mode leading to inability to cast spells.
[-] Monsters summoned by other monsters had wrong monster as their ally.
[-] The game was using "asynchronous" mouse handling incompatible with mouse look of the patch if "D3D Device" = 1 in the registry. Hidden "DisableAsyncMouse" patch option controls this.
[-] items.txt: now special items accept standard English "of ..." strings. This should fix them missing their attributes in some localizations.
[-] Shops were unable to fix some artifacts.
[-] Lava was hurting players in air.
[-] Pressing Alt+Tab during the win movie 'breaking' the game.
[-] Memory leak in mipmaps generation code.
[*] ReputationNumber option now shows positive values for good reputation. It showed negative values before, just like it's represented internally in the game.
<< MM7 >>
[-] My bug: Axe skill adding damage at expert level instead of master.
[-] GM Staff ignoring Armsmaster bonus to Damage.
[-] Taledon's Helm not increasing Light Magic.
[-] My bug: Palettes were messed up in Avlee.
[-] My bug: FixChests=1 was broken - event execution was stopped after the chest is opened.
[-] Monsters summoning wrong monsters (e.g. Archmages summoning Sylphs).
<< Fixes in maps >>
[+] Now quest for Champion promotion accepts Lord difficulty arena victories as well as Knight.
[-] The Titans' Stronghold, The Breeding Zone, The Tidewater Caverns, Barrow II (d09, d10, d17, mdk03): Better handling of chests with quest items.
[-] The Wine Cellar (d16): Exit door hint changed from "Leave the Vampire Family House" to "Leave the Wine Cellar".
[-] Celeste (d25): Central fountain only worked once.
[-] Nighon (out10): Warlocks were killing 2 peasants. Half of training building door not clickable.
[-] Harmondale (out02): Beacons weren't shown fired up after reloading.
[-] William Setag's Tower, The Hall of the Pit (mdt10, t04): "Door" was set as hint for chests.
[-] Barrow II (mdk03): Rat was often spawning in a wall.
[-] Avlee (out14): Flying rock at x:-15088 y:-4288.
[-] The Land of the Giants (out12): A well at coordinates x:14972 y:3968 was meant to cost 5000, but was usable without paying, thus becoming a cheat when used with Protection from Magic.
[-] Fixes of Black Phantom patch (with additional improvements):
- The Maze (d02): "Haldar's Remains" quest item was disappearing if not taken the first time the chest opened.
- Stone City (d24): when resting there was a chance of dwarves attacking the party.
- Emerald Island (out01): Anvil was called "Button". Autonote "2 points of permanent Luck from the well on the western edge of Emerald Island" wasn't used.
- Castle Harmondale (d29): Quest "0" no longer appears in Quest Log. Under some circumstances no human/elf/neutral flags were placed in the castle after delivering the artifact. Good/evil flags didn't always match the alignment. Golem was appearing before you complete the quest (and animate it) if you found all parts.
- The Wine Cellar (d16): Unique vampire possesing Vampire's Cape item wasn't appearing in the location. Now a Light path quest requires not just entering the Win Cellar, but killing this vampire as it was planned by developers.
- The Pit (d26): "Breeding Zone" entrance animation wasn't used.
- Colony Zod (d27): Archibald trial movie was played each time you exit the colony after killing Xenofex. Roland was giving the key each time you click on his cell.
- The Dragon Caves (mdt12): A dragon was often spawning inside a wall.
- Deyja (out05): guards of the northern town were always hostile.
- Texts Kastore was saying upon finding dark/light altar pieces were switched.
- Reward for Loren/Riverside Plans quests even when time runs out.
- Final quest wasn't removed from Quest Log upon completion of the game.
- Wrong autonote text for Identify Item Grandmaster (Tularean Forest instead of Avlee).
- William Lasker was calling the party "Rogues" in his greeting after promotion to Spy, now he says "Spies".
- Optional: NWC made a black Mega-Dragon monster with some interesting abilities, but the "Mega-Dragon" in The Dragon Caves (mdt12) was actually a red dragon with resistances set to 0 (thus, weaker than standard ones!). Not anymore.
- Optional: Now there are videos when you enter Tunnels to Eeofol or move between Nighon Tunnels and Thunderfist Mountain. These videos were unused before.
- Optional: Eastern tunnel of Thunderfist Mountain was leading the the western village and vice versa.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 07 Jul 2018, 19:33

Wow!
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Jul 2018, 13:42

Amazing fixes, many of which I mentioned myself! Glad to finally see them fixed. Let me renew my question about applying this to Rodril's merge, though. Is there a way to make it work?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 18 Jul 2018, 22:44

Xfing wrote:Amazing fixes, many of which I mentioned myself! Glad to finally see them fixed. Let me renew my question about applying this to Rodril's merge, though. Is there a way to make it work?
Rodril has converted all MM6 and MM7 events. If it was fully automatic, he can just reconvert the fixed ones, but if he did some stuff by hand, that would need to be redone.

chiyolate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chiyolate » 19 Jul 2018, 15:39

Ah thanks for fixing that!!
I was modding MM7 and was hugely disappointed to know that Armsmaster did not add damage to my monks when equipping a Staff.. Monks should be amazing now in my modded MM7 :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 20 Jul 2018, 07:00

chiyolate wrote:
I was modding MM7 and was hugely disappointed to know that Armsmaster did not add damage to my monks when equipping a Staff.. Monks should be amazing now in my modded MM7 :D
Speaking of which - do the "reduced recovery time" and "attack bonus" effects also apply as they should? They might, I don't remember, just making sure :P

chiyolate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chiyolate » 21 Jul 2018, 08:06

Xfing wrote:
chiyolate wrote:
Speaking of which - do the "reduced recovery time" and "attack bonus" effects also apply as they should? They might, I don't remember, just making sure :P
After checking my [patch 2.0] saved game, I can confirm yes it worked, reduced recovery time and attack bonus for the Staff worked properly in the old patch. Only the damage part was missing.. :)

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 21 Jul 2018, 11:13

Sorry, why are those patch topics titled "Aug 7, 2018"? Does Grayface come from future? :) :) :)

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Re: GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.1 [July 7, 2018]

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 12 Aug 2018, 03:07

Hi Greyface. Thanks for all your great work for these games.

I've been following both this and Rodril's merge. I'm very excited to see the Unarmed/Staff/Armsmaster fixes. If I understand this correctly, fixing the Armsmaster and GM Staff interaction should also fix the fact "of the Fist" doesn't add to damage if you have a staff equipped with GM Staff skill. It sounds like one issue with 2 different manifestations. Is this correct?

Also, Rodril's Merge uses MM8 as its base, and thus uses your MM8 patch. This GM Staff fix only exists in your MM7 patch. It would be highly useful in the Merge. Is there a way for me to "add" it to the properly patched Merge?
Thanks!

lightbringer23
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lightbringer23 » 13 Aug 2018, 07:41

tomchen1989 wrote:Sorry, why are those patch topics titled "Aug 7, 2018"? Does Grayface come from future? :) :) :)
Given the mighty sorcery that he creates with the Might and Magic games, I think we can safely say:

Yes. Yes he does.

:D
Last edited by lightbringer23 on 13 Aug 2018, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 09 Sep 2018, 02:02

Hey.

This is my first post here, so first let me say, how deeply I appreciate all the work you've done for this mm trilogy. This latest patch is amazing, always wanted to play mm7/8 in full HD (that said, am not a fan of how the game upscales in borderless window, compared to how gpu does it in fullscreen, especially for mm6, but eh, minor gripe).

I mostly want to bring to attention an easily reproducible crash in MM7 now. It crashes whenever you exit the ship in Tatalia. You can still get to the ship by using the jump spell around that area, but when you go to Tatalia by ship, there's nothing to be done.

Also, don't take this as a request or anything, just throwing out an idea, but would it be possible to widen the fov to widescreen? Seeing how you've managed to up the resolution and all.

Anyway, much love, going back to my countless playthrough of this game :D

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Sep 2018, 03:12

lightbringer23 wrote:Also, Rodril's Merge uses MM8 as its base, and thus uses your MM8 patch. This GM Staff fix only exists in your MM7 patch. It would be highly useful in the Merge. Is there a way for me to "add" it to the properly patched Merge?
Could you check that the problem is present in the Merge? There's very little chance NWC would've changed this in a game that doesn't use Unarmed at all, but still.
Novi wrote:This is my first post here, so first let me say, how deeply I appreciate all the work you've done for this mm trilogy. This latest patch is amazing, always wanted to play mm7/8 in full HD (that said, am not a fan of how the game upscales in borderless window, compared to how gpu does it in fullscreen, especially for mm6, but eh, minor gripe).
Try adding ScalingParam1 and ScalingParam2 to ini with values lower than 3 and 0.2 respectively to make the stretching more blurry and less pixelated.
Novi wrote: I mostly want to bring to attention an easily reproducible crash in MM7 now. It crashes whenever you exit the ship in Tatalia. You can still get to the ship by using the jump spell around that area, but when you go to Tatalia by ship, there's nothing to be done.
Ah, so that's how it's triggered! I've fixed it in my current version, but didn't know it can be reproduced like that. It's also strange that the bug didn't manifest itself before the last version of the patch.
Novi wrote: Also, don't take this as a request or anything, just throwing out an idea, but would it be possible to widen the fov to widescreen? Seeing how you've managed to up the resolution and all.
I thought about it and concluded that it would be too hard. There were high resolution projects (2nd was probably a continuation of mmtool's one) for MM7 that ripped apart the interface and increased the actual resolution the game works with and this would be a task similar to them.
Last edited by GrayFace on 09 Sep 2018, 03:48, edited 2 times in total.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 09 Sep 2018, 14:35

GrayFace wrote:Try adding ScalingParam1 and ScalingParam2 to ini with values lower than 3 and 0.2 respectively to make the stretching more blurry and less pixelated.
Ah, yes, I read through the patch notes but for some reason ignored that setting. I ended up with ScalingParam1=0.5, it looks much closer to what it was in fullscreen. Couldn't see ScalingParam2 make any difference though :D but thank you!

And good to hear that the crash is fixed. Will await the release.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Sep 2018, 15:33

Novi wrote:Couldn't see ScalingParam2 make any difference though
Oops! I wrote ScalingParam1 twice. If ScalingParam1 is set, it's read as 2nd parameter as well. Fixed in the next version.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 11 Sep 2018, 00:53

Great work on the MM7 patch! Love it!

I'll post bugs as I come across them. I was going to post about the Tatalia docks bug where you constantly crash over and over but it's already been pointed out.

Minor Bug: In Tularean Forest, when you talk to the tree for the "Heart of the Wood" quest, the message "tree69" is displayed instead of "The Oldest Tree" when you hover your cursor on it.

Bug (Inside Temple of Baa):
--> Green-robed Clerics of Baa - When damaging them, text reads "Acolyte of the Moon"
--> Blue-robed Clerics of Baa - When damaging them, text reads "Cleric of the Moon"
--> Red-robed Clerics of Baa & the High Priest of Baa - When damaging them, text reads "Priest of the Moon"

Bug: Misspelling -> Venemous Spider should be "Venomous"
Last edited by Anubis on 12 Sep 2018, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”