Limits on artifacts/relics in MM7/8 and how they are handled

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Limits on artifacts/relics in MM7/8 and how they are handled

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jul 2013, 21:06

Could someone explain how those are handled? In my latest playthrough of MM8 I've managed to colect practically everything except say 2 items, (Crown of Final Dominion and Staff of the Swamp seem to be the only ones I've missed). Where to look for them? Monsters do not drop them anymore and they don't appear in places artifacts or relics otherwise would. Do I need to check out other "hard chests", ones I haven't yet found any relics in?

And in MM7, I know that the restriction on the artifacts is much higher, you can get like 13 before they stop dropping. So is there any way to get more after that?

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 05 Jul 2013, 22:10

Did you check the vault of time? Some places contain artifacts you can't find on bodies or Dungeons

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 05 Jul 2013, 22:24

Yes, there is a limit of Artifacts in both games.

The raw count goes up until you reach the cap. After that the only places you can get extras are from places where they are set ahead of time (Obelisk Chests, Clanker's Amulet, Megadragon Sandals, Eclipse, etc). If you get these items before you have reached the cap, they count against the cap (effectively reducing the number you can get in a game).

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 06 Jul 2013, 00:00

Spoilerish,

Did you check the tree in Ravenshore and the rock in Ironsand?

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2013, 16:58

Variol wrote:Spoilerish,

Did you check the tree in Ravenshore and the rock in Ironsand?
Yeah. And the back of the Ogre Fortress in Alvar and the open crate in the Ravage Roaming barbarian fortress :D
Arret wrote:Yes, there is a limit of Artifacts in both games.

The raw count goes up until you reach the cap. After that the only places you can get extras are from places where they are set ahead of time (Obelisk Chests, Clanker's Amulet, Megadragon Sandals, Eclipse, etc). If you get these items before you have reached the cap, they count against the cap (effectively reducing the number you can get in a game).
Oh. That's interesting. So if I, say, neglected artifacts like the Noblebone Bow, Ring of Planes, Eclipse, Glomenthal and the Vault of Time, I could theoretically get all of them? I really haven't missed many of them this playthrough. Wyrm Spitter is another I remember now, so that makes 3 of them.

MM7 is much tougher in that regard and hence multiple playthroughs are required to discover most of these items.

EDIT: Just checked and it turns out I miss 5 level unique items this playthrough. This doesn't seem to really be much! Finality, Fleetfingers, Wyrm Spitter, Staff of the Swamp, Crown of Final Dominion.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Re: Limits on artifacts/relics in MM7/8 and how they are handled

Unread postby Xfing » 06 May 2018, 10:45

Ok, a little necro for this:
- You can get all unique items in MM8. Instead of a hard cap, the game attempts to cap the number you get by pre-placing them in locations you're not expected to reach before they respawn, like the Dragon Caves.
- Once an area where a unique item is placed respawns, the item is lost forever. The Dragon Caves can have like 3-4 of them in their treasure hoard and it only takes 6 months for the area to respawn after you first enter it. Therefore, entering only while knowing Invisibility is recommended, otherwise you'll most definitely be missing out on at least several uniques.
- In MM7 there is a cap for unique items to stop appearing after you've obtained a certain number, be it from pre-placed areas like the dragon hoard in the Land of the Giants, or chests. You can still get more of them in chests with guaranteed uniques, such as those in Colony Zod or Clanker's Lab.
- In MM6 there is no cap at all, as far as I know, though it may be the same as it is in MM7. No pre-placed uniques in this game though, so it's all either chests or loot from dragon corpses.

NotABroom
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NotABroom » 05 Jun 2018, 15:55

Xfing wrote: - In MM6 there is no cap at all, as far as I know, though it may be the same as it is in MM7. No pre-placed uniques in this game though, so it's all either chests or loot from dragon corpses.
MM6 handles it the same as MM7 does. There are some uniques though. Some amulets and rings are hidden in the obelisk chest and then there is the dagger Mordred. Pretty sure you can get all of these uniques twice, if they happen to be part of the randomly spawning ones.

Can those limits be modded btw? Might be especially interesting for the MM6-8 merge.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jun 2018, 16:31

NotABroom wrote:
Xfing wrote: - In MM6 there is no cap at all, as far as I know, though it may be the same as it is in MM7. No pre-placed uniques in this game though, so it's all either chests or loot from dragon corpses.
MM6 handles it the same as MM7 does. There are some uniques though. Some amulets and rings are hidden in the obelisk chest and then there is the dagger Mordred. Pretty sure you can get all of these uniques twice, if they happen to be part of the randomly spawning ones.

Can those limits be modded btw? Might be especially interesting for the MM6-8 merge.
No such limits in that merge. After a certain point you stop finding Jadamean uniques in chests, but you'll still be finding them from dragon loot. I've even gotten items with no proper sprites as of now, such as Hareck's Leather etc. You will get repeat items in that merge too - I've gotten 3 or 4 instances of many uniques from MM6 and 8 for example.

Return to “Might and Magic”