Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
baliame
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby baliame » 10 Mar 2018, 08:13

Hey,

This is a great project and I'm loving it so far.

I'm in a total love-hate relationship with scaling. On one hand, it's kind of annoying in MM6 where the game just tended to dump 50 relatively easy things on you which suddenly becomes kind of nightmarish, on the other hand it was nice to see that I moved on to Emerald Isle and wasn't completely facerolling. If there's one thing though, the additional spell type of scaling is a bit of a bullshit. It caught me totally off-guard that thieves from MM7 suddenly started using rock blasts and fireballs and ice sprays en masse. I'm honestly not sure if I like it. Giving them stronger abilities is fine but giving EVERYTHING AoE blasts may be a bit much.

Here's a few things I noticed that have been problematic:

- There's a lot of herbs spawning with 0 power, which means it's effectively useless without an alchemy skill.
- MM6 goblinwatch gives you an MM6 empty bottle, which cannot be used for alchemy. Similarly, free havens sewers is full of MM6 potion pickups that don't work at all.
- Tularean Forest GM Identify Item trainer crashes when I highlight my (MM6-promoted) arch mage.
- On-character art for Sun Cloak (that's from MM7 I believe) is missing. This may be specific to the model of Talimere.
Last edited by baliame on 10 Mar 2018, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 11 Mar 2018, 16:03

Hi,

i just noticed, that i cant invite any NPCs in my (mm6-style) party, unless they are part of a quest (Free Haven, Temple, Cannibal Prisoner, Melody Silver, etc.).
Is that wanted this way, cause its a mm7/8 based mod, or is that an unwanted glitch?

Justl

edit: archdruid quest mm6 - in mm6 you saw a timetable when it was full moon - with the new engine you cant see that. is it possible to reduce the quest to just "visit the temple at midnight"?
solved: any moontime midnight seems to suffice
Last edited by justl on 31 Mar 2018, 16:59, edited 2 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 12 Mar 2018, 18:57

The town portal fountain of White Cap that grants a one-time +5 Endurance boost and kills the drinker doesn't seem to work for me (the Might fountain seems to provide the boost just fine). I wonder what's causing this. Could it be the fact that my characters arrived from Antagarich? I remember being able to use it if everybody was created in Enroth. Could it be because they drank from the +2 Endurance well in Avlee? I don't think they've reached a stat cap for the well; they only have 15 Endurance.

There seems to be a new issue with town portal coordinates, at least in Enroth. Sometimes I don't end up near the central fountain when I use the spell but emerge in the same coordinates that I occupied on the map where I cast the spell. This has only occurred when the Fly spell is in effect, but I don't know if that's a requirement.

EDIT: I think the above thing only happens when I'm moving as I cast the Town Portal spell, i.e. when I'm holding down the forward key in the air. Or turning.

Another peculiar thing: Fire Aura sometimes inexplicably fails, but when I move the weapon to another person's inventory, the spell can suddenly work on it. This seems to happen more in dungeon areas and characters in slots 3-5, but I'm really not sure about the circumstances. For example, in Bootleg Bay, the spell works fine, but in Temple of Tsantsa, it fails when certain characters are holding the weapon. Maybe it has something to do with paper-doll coordinates?

In Temple of Tsantsa near coordinates x = 1976 y = -2356 some monsters are spawning inside the wall and seem to prevent passage. Fortunately, there are other routes to take.

There are MM6 potions in chests in the Hall of the Fire Lord. There is an MM6 plate armor in a chest in Warlord's Fortress near the room with the Discharge Papers.

The secret door in Gharik's Forge next to the lever puzzle lava room isn't opening. I'm pretty sure it should be activated by hitting the upper northeast lever at the exit point of the room.

MM7 Alacorn Wands of Acid are using the wrong spell, I think Recharge Item?

The treasure room in Dragoon's Keep in Free Haven has urns instead of bags of gold on the table.

There is a bunch of MM6 yellow Energy potions in the sewers behind an openable passage on the way to where the prince of thieves is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=195toj ... CEYtDhAODd

There are MM6 Rejuvenation potions in Castle Darkmoor: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QBQlg ... EoXcjxFXse

I've received MM6-MM7 Artifacts and Relics when exchanging golden pyramids and crafting stalt-laced ore, such as two Guinevere rings. Maybe that shouldn't happen?

Bonuses to magic skills from artifacts are stacking nicely but perhaps a bit too much when equipping multiple artifacts. Wearing two Guineveres and an amulet of Light Magic gives a boost of +25 to the skill at level 10, which seems like a lot - maybe an artifact's boost should be calculated as +50% of the base skill level instead of +50% of the boosted skill level? I think this is what MM6 originally did. Or maybe two of the same artifacts shouldn't stack together?

Monster scaling is doing a good job of increasing difficulty, but I feel low-level monsters such as scaled-up rats shouldn't be quite so challenging for high-level characters to defeat. Perhaps an upper limit could be introduced so that monsters cannot exceed 200-300% of their normal maximum HP or something like that? Damage could still increase further. Progress in the monster-infested Enroth is especially slow if all of the supposedly weak monsters take multiple hits to bring down. I think this would keep the challenge and might provide more sense of progress.

This mod is incredibly immersive, it's like living my childhood games again in a fresh, new package. Thank you so much for the work you're putting in this :)
Last edited by Phobos on 19 Mar 2018, 08:39, edited 18 times in total.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 16 Mar 2018, 17:33

Phobos wrote:
EDIT: I think the above thing only happens when I'm moving as I cast the Town Portal spell, i.e. when I'm holding down the forward key in the air.
Yep, I've seen the same thing (only when I am flying--or hovering--as the case may be.) Town portal in Enroth is buggy like this in the original game--no problems with it unless I'm in the air...;)
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 16 Mar 2018, 21:40

for those who want to start mm6 style with more race/class-options - download those files:
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb ... hp?id=3023
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb ... hp?id=3021

edit the name and delete the " mychange" in it. put them in data\tables of your mod

can second that:
Phobos wrote: There are MM6 potions in chests in the Hall of the Fire Lord. There is an MM6 plate armor in a chest in Warlord's Fortress near the room with the Discharge Papers.

The secret door in Gharik's Forge next to the lever puzzle lava room isn't opening. I'm pretty sure it should be activated by hitting the upper northeast lever at the exit point of the room.

MM7 Alacorn Wands of Acid are using the wrong spell, I think Recharge Item?

The treasure room in Dragoon's Keep in Free Haven has urns instead of bags of gold on the table.

There is a bunch of MM6 yellow Energy potions in the sewers behind an openable passage on the way to where the prince of thieves is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=195toj ... CEYtDhAODd

There are MM6 Rejuvenation potions in Castle Darkmoor: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QBQlg ... EoXcjxFXse
one wand of light (dont know if its 6 or 7, its a complete green one) also made sparks instead of light bolt.

edit: in the warlords castle in silver cove, there is an old (mm6 style) plate armor in the first room after the big hall with the firebasins

edit2: Gorgon dungeon in blackshire - the chest just at the beginning contains old mm6 flasks

edit3: dragon rider caves - found mm6 style plate armor there and a relic from mm7

edit4: any one else has problems with the circus? nicolai is gone, and the circus is at neither of the 3 destionations it should be
solved ... seems the circus isnt anywhere between december and march - in april its appearing again and nicolai too
Last edited by justl on 31 Mar 2018, 16:01, edited 7 times in total.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)

Dess
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dess » 25 Mar 2018, 00:54

Does anyone know the answer to these questions:

1. If I make a monk and then move on to the MM6 and MM8 maps with him, is there a way for him to increase his skill in those continents?

2. If I make a party and start in MM6, are there armsmaster and grandmaster trainers there?

3. Is there a fast way of having a party of MM7 classes start in New Sorpigal? I tried to get a level 5 party there by rushing through the rescue dwarves quest but the ship in Tularea sadly only sails to ravenshore, which means I have to get to regna from there?

At any rate this mod is almost like a dream come true, I have been wanting to play through MM6 with armsmaster knights since MM7 came out.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 25 Mar 2018, 08:51

Dess wrote:1. If I make a monk and then move on to the MM6 and MM8 maps with him, is there a way for him to increase his skill in those continents?
Everything can be increased but Unarmed and Dodging. You also have to promote him on the MM7 continent.
Dess wrote:2. If I make a party and start in MM6, are there armsmaster and grandmaster trainers there?
You have to visit the other continents for those (ID Monster as well).
Dess wrote:3. Is there a fast way of having a party of MM7 classes start in New Sorpigal? I tried to get a level 5 party there by rushing through the rescue dwarves quest but the ship in Tularea sadly only sails to ravenshore, which means I have to get to regna from there?
You could aqcuire a scroll of Dimension Door (a new high-level traveling spell), which seems to randomly appear in the magic shops of Bracada and Deyja. This lets you teleport to Enroth or Jadame.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 01 Apr 2018, 13:01

Hello, patch link have been updated. Aside of recent bugfixes, few things have been added:
implemented main part of cross-continet quests (except one that involves new maps);
weather effects and monster bolsterizer can be toggled/adjusted through in game controls menu - do not remove/rename gamefiles anymore;
magic guild have been added to Regna;
stories of other continents will start in more senseful way now.
Some adjusts were made in artifacts, skills should not be boosted too much from now, thanks.
It is not april fool's joke.

edit:
New quests are compatible with old savegames, but may look a bit distracting: some events may happen right away and some maps will require refill for quest items to appear.
Toggling/adjusting bolster will take effect after changing map or loading saved game.
Last edited by Rodril on 01 Apr 2018, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 01 Apr 2018, 15:36

Wow, amazing work! I must start playing at once :D

I talked to V. in Antagarich, she was a lot of fun! And now the continent-hopping makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to further dealings with her, and can't wait to see her picture! Should I be able to talk to her again? She won't reappear.
Last edited by Phobos on 01 Apr 2018, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 01 Apr 2018, 17:23

hi,

found this error when using amok (axe with fire damage) in mm6 (before april 1st patch) - is it solved after that?
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...- Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:563: attempt to index field 'Monster' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
...- Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua: in function 'Special'
...- Day of the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\ExtraArtifacts.lua:200: in function 'v'
Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

local variables of 'Special':
(*temporary) = (function: 0x04e015a8)
(*temporary) = 6
(*temporary) = 15
(*temporary) = 7
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = (table: 0x04779238)
(*temporary) = 5363754
(*temporary) = 266
(*temporary) = 10
(*temporary) = "attempt to index field 'Monster' (a nil value)"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by justl on 01 Apr 2018, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 01 Apr 2018, 21:09

justl wrote:found this error when using amok (axe with fire damage) in mm6 (before april 1st patch) - is it solved after that?
No, have not noticed. Fixed now, reapply latest update, thanks.
Phobos wrote:I talked to V. in Antagarich, she was a lot of fun! And now the continent-hopping makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to further dealings with her, and can't wait to see her picture! Should I be able to talk to her again? She won't reappear.
She should appear soon. Spoiler for tests: She have to appear in one of main towns (Sorpigal, Harmonadale, Alvar) except one from your first continent and give you item to contact her again.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 02 Apr 2018, 09:18

Rodril wrote:
justl wrote:found this error when using amok (axe with fire damage) in mm6 (before april 1st patch) - is it solved after that?
No, have not noticed. Fixed now, reapply latest update, thanks.
sorry, meant splitter - amuck was the other axe in my inv, got them confused

edit 1:
the obelisk puzzle in mm6 only gives out "worthless" junk - some beginner spellbooks and scrolls - no artifacts, etc. - guess thats not wanted this way?
Last edited by justl on 02 Apr 2018, 10:30, edited 2 times in total.

Da3000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Da3000 » 03 Apr 2018, 06:52

After you install the update, you receive an error every time you download the game. The game was started first.

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
...f the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\Quest_CrossContinents.lua:353: array index (1778) out of bounds [1, 1777]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1342: in function '__index'
...f the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\Quest_CrossContinents.lua:353: in main chunk

arguments of '__index':
t = (table: 0x0e48a1c8)
a = 1778
v = nil

local variables of '__index':
aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
u4 = (table: 0x044328d8)
GetPtr = (function: 0x044341e8)
obj = (table: 0x050082b8)
o = 66885968
assertnum = (function: 0x043eb9f0)
error = (function: 0x043f7d68)
type = (function: builtin#3)
SetLen = nil
low = 1
GetLen = (function: 0x05054378)
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
tonumber = (function: builtin#17)
beyondLen = nil
f = (function: 0x04431578)
format = (function: builtin#91)
sOutOfBounds = "array index (%s) out of bounds [%s, %s]"
tostring = (function: builtin#18)
tostring2 = (function: 0x04425708)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...f the Destroyer\Scripts\Global\Quest_CrossContinents.lua:353: array index (1778) out of bounds [1, 1777]

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 1778
v = nil

aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 66885968
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 1778
v = nil

aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 66885968
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 1778
v = nil

aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 66885968
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 1778
v = nil

aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 66885968
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil

stack traceback:

arguments of '__index':
a = 1778
v = nil

aorig = 1778
a1 = 1777
n = 1777

upvalues of '__index':
ptr = nil
o = 66885968
SetLen = nil
low = 1
lenP = nil
lenA = nil
count = 1777
size = 8
_index = nil
_newindex = nil
beyondLen = nil
>

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 03 Apr 2018, 07:49

Hello. I suppose you are using russian localization, it have not been updated to actual version yet. Either remove all files started with "RUmm" from "Data" folder (localization will be lost), or remove "Quest_CrossContinents.lua" and "Quest_SavingGoobers.lua" from "...Scripts\Global" folder (Cross continent quest won't work then). I'll update it soon, but new text will stay in english, I hope, someone will eventually translate them.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 04 Apr 2018, 10:59

Dragon skill does not seem to be properly adding AC for the Dragons/Great Wyrms right now, it's not adding any AC at all. Anyone remember how much AC the Dragon skill gave per point?
Blazen Stormlance is starting off as a Lvl 50 Cavalier, and he can't be promoted to Champion by Jadame's Charles Quixote (Blazen used to start as a Lvl 50 Champion in base M&M 8)
It's not letting me make a Monk in the Might and Magic 7 start (Enroth).
"Alliances" in Jadame don't seem to be working. What i mean, is that when you ally with a faction (whether it's the Wererats in Ravenshore, or the Dragons of Garrote Gorge during the Alliance quest) the NPCs of that factions will still attack you on sight.
Is there still a total Artifact cap? It would really suck for there to be an Artifact cap, with all the Artifacts that are now available with the merge.
When i load my old, pre-merge saves (Lvl 255 Nosferatu), the Classes are all messed up (most show as "null"), and all the info in the Journal is missing, from Current/Completed Quests, Trainer Locations, etc.
Any way to change Regeneration to act like it did in M&M 7? In M&M 8, Regeneration is incredibly weak, both the spell, and the skill. 10 points in Regeneration and Grandmaster, only to regenerate 5 Hitpoints like every 30 seconds, really underwhelming.
With the Health scaling of NPCs/Enemies in the game, the Armageddon spell quickly loses effectiveness.
Last edited by Daedros on 04 Apr 2018, 13:18, edited 6 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 04 Apr 2018, 15:32

liches in castle darkmoor can drop black mm6 style potions
also i can remember from original mm6, that the crystals lying on the ground (as grafic) could be pried up somehow (i dont know exacts ...) back then, is this functionality removed in the mod?

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 04 Apr 2018, 21:36

So, after thinking about how weak Regeneration is in M&M8, i'm wondering if it's possible to make Regeneration (spell, skill, and item property) regenerate a percentage of Max Health? Like Normal/Item Regeneration regenerates 1% Max Health every tick, Expert regenerates 2% Max Health per tick, Master regenerates 3% Max Health per tick, and Grandmaster regenerates 4-5% Max Health per tick. This would make the War Troll a viable tank alternative to the Champion, because while the Champion focuses on mitigating incoming damage, the War Troll focuses on regenerating it, and therefore could easily regenerate between fights on his own.
Also, i'm wondering if it would be possible to add a SP Regeneration ability to the Meditation skill? Like Normal Meditation/Item SP Regen regenerates 1% Max SP per tick, Expert Meditation regenerates 2% Max SP per tick, Master Meditation regenerates 3% Max SP per tick, and Grandmaster Meditation regenerates 4-5% SP per tick. This is on top of Meditation adding directly to the SP pool. This would help alleviate the problems that spell casters have when they run into hordes of monsters that have massive HP pools to burn through because of monster scaling.

Also, is there a "permanent" way to reduce your characters Age? I can't quite remember if M&M 6 had one, i remember that some of the older M&Ms did. It would be awesome if Rejuvenation Potions could "permanently" reduce your characters age by like 5. So if you're like Age 50, you can drink 5 Rejuvenation Potions, and go back to Age 25. Would also be great if Age affected Liches and Vampires/Nosferatus differently than other characters. High ages should actually increase a Lich's Intellect and Endurance, while increasing the Strength, Endurance and Speed of a Vampire/Nosferatu. The older they get, the more powerful they become.
Last edited by Daedros on 04 Apr 2018, 21:48, edited 3 times in total.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 05 Apr 2018, 06:06

mm6 has a fountain of youth, its in the hermit isle map, if i remember correctly.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 05 Apr 2018, 07:19

Dervish Chevron is now a Lvl 50 Priest (used to be a Lvl 50 Priest of the Sun in base M&M 8) and Stephen in Murmurwoods cannot promote him to Priest of the Light.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 05 Apr 2018, 19:31

justl wrote:liches in castle darkmoor can drop black mm6 style potions
also i can remember from original mm6, that the crystals lying on the ground (as grafic) could be pried up somehow (i dont know exacts ...) back then, is this functionality removed in the mod?
there is one room in castle darkmoor, where you can find black potions of rejuvenation - sadly they are mm6 style (red circle)

Return to “Might and Magic”