Stuck on Heroes VI's 3rd Haven campaign mission "Tempt Not a Desperate Man".

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
S-Phi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Stuck on Heroes VI's 3rd Haven campaign mission "Tempt Not a Desperate Man".

Unread postby S-Phi » 17 Feb 2018, 20:06

Hi all,

I'm having a blast playing Heroes VI again, and I've come to notice the AI is much more balanced than before. However, I'm having some trouble with Haven's 3rd mission, where you must fight the Tide Legions (Sanctuary) in order to defend imperial territory. The game starts fairly simple: you get a companion with a horrible skill placement and you are to rush to your first town. I do so, establish myself there (upgrade a couple of units) and then I go on to capture one or two forts to the east, not worrying about the Moon Discs too much either.

Eventually, I get the first offensive, which desperately tries to avoid my main force, instead trying to capture whatever unprotected fort I've left behind. In doing so, I have to leave the fort in question and chase after whatever trout is leading their army. I take a few losses due to chain lightning and what's not, and I immediately try to restore myself. Two things can happen:

a) No other hero appears, I can get some units back up.
b) Another hero appears, capturing whatever's on his way and killing my main army. Defeat is nearly guaranteed at this point. Usually this is 2-3 weeks in.

Assuming option A happens, I manage to get some units and perhaps I even dare capture the easternmost city, which is almost always immediately attacked by an enemy hero. I hardly survive the battle, having restored just a bit of my army before the fight. I need another week or so to replenish. Just then, the AI often sends another hero to take care of the forts, leaving me with just two cities, one of them unprotected.

I just can't seem to keep up with the AI. I'm dodging every enemy hero like a bullet after another, barely making it past every offensive. I can't properly expand because enemy heroes, though humble really, seem like doomstacks in comparison. My recruitment pace seems completely eclipsed by an enemy that has more heroes, more units, more towns, more forts, more resources (especially blood crystals!) and overall more edge over me.

What can I do?

Cheers.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Re: Stuck on Heroes VI's 3rd Haven campaign mission "Tempt Not a Desperate Man".

Unread postby Pol » 17 Feb 2018, 21:16

This may work for you.

I remember starting it several times, until I was able to secure the "starting" area. The rest took a long time but it was easy.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

S-Phi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Stuck on Heroes VI's 3rd Haven campaign mission "Tempt Not a Desperate Man".

Unread postby S-Phi » 17 Feb 2018, 21:18

Pol wrote:This may work for you.

I remember starting it several times, until I was able to secure the "starting" area. The rest took a long time but it was easy.
Yeah, I've read that guide, along with CelestialHeavens', but I can't seem to get past the first waves. They either definitively weaken me or progressively undermine me until I'm the easiest prey. Do you perhaps remember the general moves you took when you started the mission? There must be a way to endure the first few weeks.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 17 Feb 2018, 22:17

I evaded them for a while (like if you would play blind man's buf), having a speed advantage. Then there was one battle in a pass, which I won.

Kinda, for me, that was quite a few years ago.

Also, game may be changed a little with patches. All these walkthroughs were written before the game was fully patched.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

S-Phi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby S-Phi » 18 Feb 2018, 00:58

Pol wrote:I evaded them for a while (like if you would play blind man's buf), having a speed advantage. Then there was one battle in a pass, which I won.

Kinda, for me, that was quite a few years ago.

Also, game may be changed a little with patches. All these walkthroughs were written before the game was fully patched.
Just came back from completing the level. It took a total of 3 hours. I exploited a strange bug in the AI where he would move back and forth and got 1-2 weeks to build up, then I realized they were coming from down below (there was a city which was ideal for spawning and sending out heroes). I allowed the Naga to take out the easternmost city while I took down this "enclave" city, only accessible by boat. Clearly, as they can walk on water, they had an easy ride into my territory. After taking it out, the Naga had taken such a hard blow they spent the rest of the match defending, shielding themselves behind the cities that fell one by one.

Also, angels are damage sponges, holy shit.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”