Heroes IV Extracted sounds

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Heroes IV Extracted sounds

Unread postby MAN_ticore » 16 Oct 2017, 15:10

Hello.
Recently I tried to get sound effects from homm 4. It doesn`t seems to be much of a problem, I used mh4 and ResEdit for that, both work just fine, and unpack all of them, but the thing is - I cannot play these sounds. The music files(main menu, city themes etc.) is working, but all of the other - creature sounds, magic effects and all of that seems like corrupted files. I cannot play them in any player(windows media, MPCH, quick time player etc.), I tryied to use a few converters - all I get is error either "empty" sound, also cannot open them in Sone vegas.
So, the questions is - is there a way to make them work? Maybe I`m using wrong programm to extract them? Or maybe I`m the only one who has this problem?
As an example to get these sound files, you can download them from this topic - seems that sounds was working correctly for those users https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/7/14707

And sorry for bad english.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Heroes IV Extracted sounds

Unread postby Karmakeld » 16 Oct 2017, 21:42

That sounds odd. I just tried extracting the file sound.Voice_Over.Chaos A.h4d with mh4. It extracted it as mp3 and the file could play just fine in Windows Media Player. I tried it with one of the Creature sounds (vampire.die) and though it extracts it as mp3 as well, I can't play that one in Media Player. However I can open the file in Audacity. The file is 0,7 seconds long but it seems the lower (right?) track is just static noise (well trying to play/mute either side of the track, doesn't make a difference). Image But with other files, it doesn't recognize them. I'm pretty sure I had extracted some Ghost sound some time ago, but don't recall which program I used. H4Unpacker also failed for me.
Audacity suggested trying downloading some Mffpeg plugin.
Perhaps you can find this old post useful..? https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 63#p109463
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MAN_ticore » 18 Oct 2017, 18:45

Alright, so I find the solution (kind of)
Wierd thing - when you use ResEdit to extract sounds one by one, it automaticly convert each of them as *.wav files, but when you try to extract the whole folder "sound" each of sound files come out with *.mp3 extension and most of them will give error when you`ll try to play them.
*.wav files are not perfect tho, they have wierd speed and pitch shift, and overall it`s kind of a pain in the bum to extract them one by one from each folder, but hey, at least they work.

Just to be sure - I used this version of ResEdit
And thanks Karmakeld

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 18 Oct 2017, 19:08

I'm sorry I don't recall what program I used, but glad you found a way. And like you, I extracted single files, but didn't think that was important.
I also found that H4Unpacker extracts as mp3 giving error.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Oct 2017, 19:49

They are not MP3s, nor are they WAVs. They are raw audio files. You need to import them into Audacity using Import → Raw Data... and then choosing Signed 16-bit PCM Big-Endian Mono 22050 Hz (these settings are almost literally the inverse of what Audacity guesses they should be).

MAN_ticore
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MAN_ticore » 23 Oct 2017, 14:26

Nice, it`s really worked. Thanks, GreatEmerald

Just a note for anyone who would do that in the future - maybe it`s just for me, but importing raw file worked properly only with those files with *.mp3 extension. When I tried to do that with *.wav (sounds that I unpacked one by one), I got earraped. It was just really loud and bass-boosted sound.

fightknightHERO
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fightknightHERO » 27 Oct 2017, 08:15

if you managed to extract the files would you mind sharing a link of em?
those SFX would make a fine SMS tune...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Oct 2017, 08:45

You can use H4Unpacker.

Finding some of the sounds may be a bit of a challenge, though: it looks like many of the spells had quite different names during development (and perhaps there were spells that never made it into the game altogether).

radmutant69
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radmutant69 » 12 Feb 2018, 14:38

Hello there!

I don't know if it's still needed or not but I just extracted all (or most of the) H4 sounds in a
playable mp3 format. (Well I'm not sure I really extracted all but I tried to do that :D)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Feb 2018, 20:37

Ah, welcome to CH radmutant69 :D

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 12 Feb 2018, 21:02

Karmakeld wrote:Ah, welcome to CH radmutant69 :D
Indeed :D

radmutant69
Leprechaun
Leprechaun