Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
equs
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby equs » 11 Jan 2018, 12:36

Waffel wrote:About one inventory instead of five: it's really a problem since you need to carry all those potions for sustain and a HUGE Korbu's Coffin in addition. However, as you have only one character who can do almost every trick in this game and who needs only one set of armor and weapons, you save up so much gold that it is not even needed to loot every chest to the bottom. Although it's always good to have with you some gear for special cases and a place in your bag for artifacts that cost a fortune. Unluckily I'm not good enough at scripting for now. I wish I could offer anyting to solve this problem.
Maybe in single hero mode the four other heroes can be empty inventories. I mean only space for items and not a hero (like a dead hero but with the possibility to to execute a right mouse click - in dead characters inventory this is not possible)
Last edited by equs on 11 Jan 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 11 Jan 2018, 20:07

I've just completed entire saga, well @Rodril, good job :)
I've beat the game this way:
Traditional MM7 starter party (knight, thief, cleric, sorcerer) + hunter hired later -> Antagarich (to the moment of choosing judge) -> Jadame (to the moment of creating elemental key) -> Antagarich (Light path) -> Jadame -> Enroth.
My opinions:
- mm7 seems to be easier on mm8's engine (especially heroism part and 5'th character) - I've done every possible side quest before choosing a path, including statues and Haldars remains
- I must admit that the entire game after getting lvl ~30 is more than easy. Even adoptive power of monsters doesn't help too much. When you get vampiric weapon spell at GM then you are virtually invincible (yes, I've used option to change my wizard from mm7 to lich in mm8)
- one of the hard parts were when you enter the places with liches / queens' of death - they summon a lot of evil spirits' which could get you older- I've ended the game with age of about 60 because their attacks - btw - should the summoned ghosts (mm7) or air elementals (mm6) move so fast?
- I've ended entire saga with party on ~150lvl, I had a lot of fun, but adoptive monster strength algorithm should be more aggressive to get more fun

One more time - good job Rodril :) btw - maybe end of the entire game could be scripted to show some congratulations as in original games? :)
Last edited by nortonex on 11 Jan 2018, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 11 Jan 2018, 22:03

nortonex wrote:...I must admit that the entire game after getting lvl ~30 is more than easy. Even adoptive power of monsters doesn't help too much. ...
I have almost finished MM7 and MM8 and started without any item (left everything in tavern hero inventories) in MM6. My level is about 80, and without my cleric and her grandmaster body spell it would be nearly impossible. The first dungeon with bats and goblins was very hard. I mean when you are attacked by 15-20 creatures at the same time heroes with level 80 also can die. If I wouldn't use attack spells from my both elves and the lich and wouldn't regenerate the whole team with one spell by the cleric it would take weeks (ingame) to finish them all.

But you're right sometimes (especially in MM7 and MM8) I feel to strong. and the haste spell is absolute deadly with 5 characters. The enemies can't even move when my team shoot at them.

On the other side, I met the Angel on one of the Islands in New Sorpigal.... He killed my whole team many many times.
Or I have used the teleporter near castle Ironfist. It teleportet me in an area with baa guys and lizard mans. They almost killed me fast, because of many attacks at the same time.
Last edited by equs on 12 Jan 2018, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 12 Jan 2018, 23:29

equs wrote:
nortonex wrote:...I must admit that the entire game after getting lvl ~30 is more than easy. Even adoptive power of monsters doesn't help too much. ...
I have almost finished MM7 and MM8 and started without any item (left everything in tavern hero inventories) in MM6. My level is about 80, and without my cleric and her grandmaster body spell it would be nearly impossible. The first dungeon with bats and goblins was very hard. I mean when you are attacked by 15-20 creatures at the same time heroes with level 80 also can die. If I wouldn't use attack spells from my both elves and the lich and wouldn't regenerate the whole team with one spell by the cleric it would take weeks (ingame) to finish them all.

But you're right sometimes (especially in MM7 and MM8) I feel to strong. and the haste spell is absolute deadly with 5 characters. The enemies can't even move when my team shoot at them.

On the other side, I met the Angel on one of the Islands in New Sorpigal.... He killed my whole team many many times.
Or I have used the teleporter near castle Ironfist. It teleportet me in an area with baa guys and lizard mans. They almost killed me fast, because of many attacks at the same time.
Just a suggestion, but how invested are you in defensive spells, such as those offered in Light Magic...? I find them a great boon when facing lots of creatures trying to digest me for their evening meal--also, I've found that moving around when it's possible--to draw them off in following your party in small groups--then annihilating them--then returning to the main group to entice another small group to come after you--rinse and repeat--is a very effective way of killing off huge groups of monsters fairly quickly. But you are certainly right that if you get cornered by too many you can bend over and kiss yourself goodbye... :yes:
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 13 Jan 2018, 10:52

nortonex wrote:Some new small issues:
- Eric von Stromguard's second promotion quest lacks introduction text
Yeah, it does... The NPCTopic file of this version seems to be lacking some of the topics on the right column. The texts are there in the NPCTopic file that I uploaded, but maybe I messed something up? I only changed the text "Warrior Mages" to "Master Archers", though. I tried going back and forth between the old NPCTopic files and I can't seem to get the quest text to appear either way. Weird, because the other promotion texts are appearing normally to me... Or I wonder if this could have something to do with the key-giving script? Could it be in some way overriding the quest text?

Alan06
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alan06 » 16 Jan 2018, 18:59

Guys i have a problem with the prince of the thieves mission, when i talk to him in free haven sewers he don't follow me, he is just there in the bed again and again, i tested clicking in "my capture" only option and town portal to white cap but it doesn't work, anyone had the same problem?
Last edited by Alan06 on 16 Jan 2018, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 16 Jan 2018, 19:00

I've finished MM7 & 8 and I'm finishing 6 now, but I've run into some issues...
But... Is the mod dead?

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 16 Jan 2018, 21:05

albahr wrote:... Is the mod dead?
I can't believe it, but Master Rodril doesn't come online anymore.... This is the most awesome retro gaming project and seems to be dead..... :disagree:

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 16 Jan 2018, 22:21

equs wrote:
albahr wrote:... Is the mod dead?
I can't believe it, but Master Rodril doesn't come online anymore.... This is the most awesome retro gaming project and seems to be dead..... :disagree:
He last updated the mod less than three weeks ago. Maybe he's taking a well-deserved break?
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 17 Jan 2018, 09:45

With projects like this you never know - they require lots of energy and one person, without a good motivation (which is ususally money), can easily get bored. As a mod author myself, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodril decided to focus on other projects for now.
I think tho that we can keep posting the bugs we found here in case he's just busy right now and will get to this after some time. Maybe we can help also? Does any of you know which armour is not yet implemented into the game?

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 17 Jan 2018, 12:02

Rodril wrote:Recently i've got script for connection quest, which i like very much despite sci-fi have not been involved. Delivering of patches have been slowed down because quest's implementing taking some time. Grayface's editor and scripts gives possibility to realise almost everything in mm engine, only problem is lack of detailed documentation and tutorials, i would make seria of videos with step by step explanation of using it during each step of editing (like item-editing video in first post), but free time really matters here.
This was one of his last posts, so seems early to give up hope.
Does any of you know which armour is not yet implemented into the game?
Pretty much he needs art conversions of MM6 and MM7 armors to fit MM8 paper dolls, except MM7 basic leather which appears to be converted already in his video. Most appreciated would probably be quest items, such as MM7 cloaks of sun & moon, or the MM6 cape with NWC logo. After that, depends who you ask...some would like artifacts more, since they carry the special bonus, while others would like the more common items for early-game variety.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 17 Jan 2018, 20:11

OK.... I have a big problem since today. My first character doesn't recover anymore after some time....
I mean the character isn't available anymore. No bad condition or other effect, but I can't select her or attack with her. I can get back to normal behaviour after sleeping, but then some hits and the first char can't attack anymore... Only the first char is affected. Do someone have the same issue?

Edit1:
I completed mm7 and mm8 and the problem begin in the sewers in mm6

Edit2:
seems to be solved. I unequipped the Artifact Bow "Artemis". I don't know why this solves the problem, because I played long time with this bow and loved it's effect. But since I have two of them I get this problem.
Last edited by equs on 18 Jan 2018, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 18 Jan 2018, 01:10

albahr wrote:With projects like this you never know - they require lots of energy and one person, without a good motivation (which is ususally money), can easily get bored. As a mod author myself, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodril decided to focus on other projects for now.
I think tho that we can keep posting the bugs we found here in case he's just busy right now and will get to this after some time. Maybe we can help also? Does any of you know which armour is not yet implemented into the game?
I think the biggest reasons that mod authors don't make money is because a lot of them simply quit before finishing their mod projects--most people want to pay for something complete, imo, as opposed to incomplete. Ambitious mods like this one tend to end up unfinished, unfortunately--which has created a lot of skepticism about contributing to mod projects in general. Here's hoping Rodril continues to polish this wonderful mod! If not, I think the least that could be done is to announce his intentions to those of us who care about and are enjoying this fantastic mod.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 18 Jan 2018, 01:20

I have hopes. He worked on the project quietly until it was basically ready for testing, no? Most of the failed projects are usually announced at inception. At least that's what my observations yield.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 18 Jan 2018, 11:53

Hello, sorry for the delay, some things takeing longer than i expected, i have not drop anything.
Some fixes in today's patch (Alvarian guild and Castle Harmondale won't remove your items anymore, fixes in MM6: Eric's animation and Warlock with Ankh crash). First character's unlimited delay won't happen anymore, that was caused by some effects of MM6 artifacts, fixed now.
zalunaya wrote:Does any of you know which armour is not yet implemented into the game?
All of MM6/7 armors. Video in first post have explanation about repainting. Basically, you can just open ITEMS.txt from EnglishT.lod and look at items 1302 - 1354, 2020 - 2049 - there are mm6/7 artifacts, common items are not that necessary. Pictures are in Icons.lod according to "Pic file" column of ITEMS.txt, For example "Hermes" from MM6 called "boots5", so "boots5" is picture of item in inventory, "boots5v1" - picture on male paperdoll, "boots5v2" - picture on female paperdoll, "boots5v3" - picture on minotaur paperdoll, "boots5v4" - picture on troll paperdoll, i.e. *ItemName* + *vX* is template, X is id of doll type (new doll types could be added as well).
nortonex wrote:- Eric von Stromguard's second promotion quest lacks introduction text
NPCText.txt and NPCTopic.txt are fine, issue was in PromotionTopics.lua.

About savegame editing. I don't think it worth to tweak any existing editor to fit, since we have lua debug console. Use reference manual to get access to any property of player https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... cts.Player .
For example: press ctrl+f1 to open debug console, ctrl+enter to execute something. "Party" keyword is root of Party and Players structures. Party[0] - is first player, Party[4] - fifth one; Party[0].Class = 16 (or Party[0].Class = const.Class.Knight) will change first player's class to knight. Party[0].Skills[1] = JoinSkill(10, 4) will make him grandmaster of sword. Use dump() function to see content of any structure, for example: dump(const.Class) will show all existing classes and their indexes, dump(const.Skills) will show all available skills, dump(Party[0], 1) will show all content of first player, excluding content of inner tables (note second parameter of dump function, dump(Party[0]) will show everything, but it won't be easy to find something in this plane of text).

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 18 Jan 2018, 13:14

Rodril wrote:Hello, sorry for the delay, some things takeing longer than i expected, i have not drop anything.
Some fixes in today's patch (Alvarian guild and Castle Harmondale won't remove your items anymore, fixes in MM6: Eric's animation and Warlock with Ankh crash). First character's unlimited delay won't happen anymore, that was caused by some effects of MM6 artifacts, fixed now...
Nice to see you back again, and thanks for the latest changes.

I noticed that many of the characters that join my party aren't in the Tavern and some of them are switching. For Example, I put some artifacts in the inventory of a character in the Tavern (one of the last ones) and then some time later this char wasn't there anymore, but another instead. But I miss many of them

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 18 Jan 2018, 15:48

I've decided to go ahead and did dis. Tell me what you think guys:

Last edited by albahr on 18 Jan 2018, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 18 Jan 2018, 17:35

albahr wrote:I've decided to go ahead and did dis. Tell me what you think guys:

What exactely you mean? the MM7 character? Nice.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 18 Jan 2018, 17:54

Nice indeed ^^

On a side note, it's SO weird to see all these items together in one inventory screen haha. I've been playing these games way too many times if this brings a funky dissonance.

Also glad to know Rodril is still around :hoo:
Last edited by Echo on 18 Jan 2018, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 18 Jan 2018, 21:36

Rodril wrote:Hello, sorry for the delay, some things takeing longer than i expected, i have not drop anything.

About savegame editing. I don't think it worth to tweak any existing editor to fit, since we have lua debug console. Use reference manual to get access to any property of player https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... cts.Player .
For example: press ctrl+f1 to open debug console, ctrl+enter to execute something. "Party" keyword is root of Party and Players structures. Party[0] - is first player, Party[4] - fifth one; Party[0].Class = 16 (or Party[0].Class = const.Class.Knight) will change first player's class to knight. Party[0].Skills[1] = JoinSkill(10, 4) will make him grandmaster of sword. Use dump() function to see content of any structure, for example: dump(const.Class) will show all existing classes and their indexes, dump(const.Skills) will show all available skills, dump(Party[0], 1) will show all content of first player, excluding content of inner tables (note second parameter of dump function, dump(Party[0]) will show everything, but it won't be easy to find something in this plane of text).
Glad to see you back... :D (Glad to see that your work on one of the best and most useful mods I've seen in years is ongoing!) I agree about the effort required for a savegame editor.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Return to “Might and Magic”