Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby albahr » 31 Dec 2017, 19:51

Rodril wrote:Recently i've got script for connection quest, which i like very much despite sci-fi have not been involved. Delivering of patches have been slowed down because quest's implementing taking some time. Grayface's editor and scripts gives possibility to realise almost everything in mm engine, only problem is lack of detailed documentation and tutorials, i would make seria of videos with step by step explanation of using it during each step of editing (like item-editing video in first post), but free time really matters here.
Sounds amazing. Happy New Year to you Rodril, and to you, Might and Magic fans!

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 01 Jan 2018, 17:15

hi,
in castle ironfist i found a hole in the bottom, which leads up to heavens and down again:
(that light blue patch there)

you survive with featherfall, but i dont know if its the only map with such a glitch.

justl

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 01 Jan 2018, 22:36

Sneaky launchpad! Give it some ancient-looking texture and it may be everyone's new favorite toy.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 02 Jan 2018, 18:27

Some new small issues:
- some chests in Enroth have useless MM6 bottles (eg. in Free Haven sewers or in Temple of the Snake)
- Eric von Stromguard's second promotion quest lacks introduction text
- one of the chests in the Lair of the Wolf contains MM6's chain mall that lacks paperdoll image
- Hermes Sandals hp and mana regeneration seems to be broken, and item lacks paperdoll image
- Q from Temple of the Snake is friendly to the team and does not have appropriate amount of HP (is it possible to emulate Horn of Ros - pernament Detect Life spell?)
- Master Swordmans' spirit lash always hits person on the first slot (even when dead)
- right-clicking on Warlock with ankh in Silver Helms Stronghold causes game to crash
- John's Silver graphic in Silver Helms Stronghold is glitched
- Preston Steel at the High Council gives permission to visit Oracle but his thumb is turned down
Last edited by nortonex on 03 Jan 2018, 09:38, edited 5 times in total.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 03 Jan 2018, 23:50

What a stupendous effort! This certainly makes these old games--which for some reason have never lost their charm for me--playable again and so much more enjoyable--especially M&M6. Had a question:

* Are you familiar with a little program called "Might8Edit32.exe"...? It's a little save game editor for M&M 8--that still runs today under Win10x64, version 1709, build 17063 (because it is a 32-bit application). Was tinkering with it a bit for my M&M6 savegames (inside the merged folder, of course, because why play any other way, now?), and as I'm sure you know--for some of the values it correctly changes them but at the same time it incorrectly changes others--particularly Race/Class get all messed up. For instance, I'll create a Knight, then in Enroth run over to the training building, where the trainer thinks that I am a Cleric--if I build the the character as a Cleric at the beginning of the game, run the save game editor, and then go to the training building the Trainer thinks I am a priest--and so on. If I pick up Sharon the Archer at the Training building in Enroth, and open the save game in editor and then save it again and open the game with the save--she becomes a Necromancer and an Archer...;)

I know...I shouldn't be doing this at all, but it's the tinker in me--I would like to adjust a few values a little bit at the very start of the game, and wanted to run this by you to see if perhaps you might have a suggestion for me....Thanks again for the great work!
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 04 Jan 2018, 10:10

waltc wrote:Are you familiar with a little program called "Might8Edit32.exe"...?
If I'm guessing correctly these programs are programmed to read the class nr 1 as Knight, class nr 4 as Necromancer and so on, and since the classes are altered in Rodril's mod, the numbers are changed too. I think it would require editing the program and it would be too much work with the mod.

justl
Demon
Demon

Unread postby justl » 04 Jan 2018, 17:11

waltc wrote:
* Are you familiar with a little program called "Might8Edit32.exe"...?
you can try using cheatengine - at least for values like money / food (i tried, so i know ;) )
that should you give enough boost for the beginning of the game.
V2: Compendium of mm6-8 Secrets + Details about the base merge and DaveHer's redone merge (its in english!)
https://www.mightandmagicworld.de/fileb ... index.html

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 04 Jan 2018, 17:16

I usually used the editor at the start of the game to reduce everyone's experience to 0, gold to 0, set even ages and even (ending with 0 or 5) skills. And later on, crucially, to reverse the Lich portrait back lol. Is that possible to do with the cheat engine too?

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 04 Jan 2018, 18:57

justl wrote:
waltc wrote:
* Are you familiar with a little program called "Might8Edit32.exe"...?
you can try using cheatengine - at least for values like money / food (i tried, so i know ;) )
that should you give enough boost for the beginning of the game.
Thanks for the suggestion... :applause:
Last edited by waltc on 04 Jan 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 04 Jan 2018, 19:00

albahr wrote:
waltc wrote:Are you familiar with a little program called "Might8Edit32.exe"...?
If I'm guessing correctly these programs are programmed to read the class nr 1 as Knight, class nr 4 as Necromancer and so on, and since the classes are altered in Rodril's mod, the numbers are changed too. I think it would require editing the program and it would be too much work with the mod.
That was my assumption, as well. I looked at Rodril's tables--didn't see an easy way to avoid that happening as the cheat is designed for the game other than Rodril's superb combined rendering...;)
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 04 Jan 2018, 19:07

Echo wrote:I usually used the editor at the start of the game to reduce everyone's experience to 0, gold to 0, set even ages and even (ending with 0 or 5) skills. And later on, crucially, to reverse the Lich portrait back lol. Is that possible to do with the cheat engine too?
Fascinating... :creative: I can see that working nicely!
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 05 Jan 2018, 18:53

If anyone is interested, found one that seems to work fine with Rodril's work-- mm8che.zip is the file. No AV alarms, false or otherwise. I haven't used it extensively, yet, but am delighted to note that unlike the other one this one does not mess up class/race, etc.--even lets you change the party order if you want (an old habit of mine!) This one seems to ring the bell so far.

Edit: nevermind...same problems (of course.) Back to the drawing board.

Edit #2: OK, MM8che.exe is fine if you want to simply use it for generics in a save game, like food and gold. You can also use it to safely change your party order, too! It works with Rodril's masterpiece--which I am growing to love more every day I play MM6 with the MM8 engine--it's inspired! But the problems start when the editor is used to edit individual characters in the game--doesn't work--fouls things up. Here's what I mean:

Editor/In-game

knight= Cleric
champion= Priest
Necromancer= Archer
Lich= Warrior Mage
Cleric= Master Archer
Priest of the Sun= Sniper
Troll= Priest of Light
War Troll= Priest of Dark
Minotaur= Dark Elf
Minotaur Lord= Patriarch
Dark Elf= Dragon
Dark Elf Patriarch= Great Wyrm
Vampire= Druid
Nosferatu= Great Druid
Dragon= Warlock
Great Wyrm= Arch Druid

So, OK, note that using mm8che.exe you cannot edit knights or Wizards, and many others....;) You can be a knight and a Wizard in-game, of course, but if you try and use the editor on your knight to edit your character individually--he turns into a Cleric, etc. Some such as Wizard, turn into "Null"--or you have to pick "lich" to get a Warrior Mage. Not possible to edit a Wizard and *stay* a Wizard, or edit a knight and have him stay a knight, etc.

But again, you can successfully edit a savegame for food and gold without messing up any of your in-game characters--just don't try and use the editor to edit their qualifications by name like "Jayne" or "Lisa", for instance, unless you are prepared for them to change according to the above chart, if you are playing MM6.

Have yet to experiment on Rodril's MM8 savegames with mm8che.exe--which may, or may not work, there. My guess is not.
Last edited by waltc on 08 Jan 2018, 02:06, edited 3 times in total.
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 05 Jan 2018, 23:18

Dear rodril, I have a little bit photoshop knowledge, if I can help you with porting (editing) items from mm7 or mm6 I will try it.

Sslaxx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Sslaxx » 06 Jan 2018, 11:05

The only way you are going to get a reliably working save game editor for the combined 6-7-8 games is to write one. And there isn't much point at the moment because things are still in flux.

dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dungeonlord » 06 Jan 2018, 11:58

I deflooded Balthazar Lair, then went for the Axe of Balthazar, found and identified it, but when I returned to Ravage Roaming, I couldn't find the entrance of the Lair! Where is it? You can see the entrance on the map btw.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 06 Jan 2018, 12:50

After you deflooded Balthazar's Lair (and changed map), a new entrance should be build and replace old one:

Last edited by Avonu on 06 Jan 2018, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 06 Jan 2018, 12:58

Another small bug found:
- can't interact with Guardian's of Kriegspire (to heal and to reveal a secret)

dungeonlord
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dungeonlord » 06 Jan 2018, 17:48

Avonu wrote:After you deflooded Balthazar's Lair (and changed map), a new entrance should be build and replace old one:
Thank you!

"2. Ships from Ravenshore starts travelling to Antagrich/Enroth when party gets access to Regna."
When exactly I get access to Regna? I cannot wait to try out this new possibility :)

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 06 Jan 2018, 19:13

dungeonlord wrote:"2. Ships from Ravenshore starts travelling to Antagrich/Enroth when party gets access to Regna."
When exactly I get access to Regna? I cannot wait to try out this new possibility :)
You get access to Regna after traveling there first via submarine from Daggerwound. You can also travel to other continents using Town Portal inside the Druid Circle in Murmurwoods.

equs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby equs » 06 Jan 2018, 20:08

I can't turn off the weather..... I tried rename the "weather.lua" to "weather.lua.off" that didn't work. Then I moved the file out of the folder. That also didn't work.... sometimes it starts snowing.

Return to “Might and Magic”