Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
equs
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby equs » 17 Dec 2017, 22:21

Have found a bug too, the son of arion hunter (a rat man) seems to be a dragon when you talk to him in the prison of ogres in Alvar. I have made a screenshot of it, but don't know how to add an image from my computer to the post.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 17 Dec 2017, 22:32

@Phobos

Aye, I haven't played the mod yet, no time currently, so I don't really know which classes are available (since MM8 was basically just races so it's a little confusing for me to imagine without playing and seeing it :D).

But, that being said, I find Dark/Light magic to be boons enough for Mages/Clerics to make them the best magic classes. So I wouldn't mind giving Paladins GM in Self magics, Archers GM in Elemental magics, and Druids GM in both Self and Elemental magics.

A knight might be able to master all the weapons, whereas stuff like Hunter and Thief (going by MM7 classes... just shooting blindly, sorry :D) could be allowed to reach GM of Armsmasters and Bows, for instance. They cannot wear Plate Armor, and as is, they're kind of the joke classes nobody needs or wants.

Cleric could be more defensive with GM in Shield and Chain, Archer get a chance to get ID monster to GM level (with monsters getting new stats it could have value again). Monk could become the true utility class - ID Monster, Item, Perception, Disarm, all on GM, and be able to get GM of Self magicks too.

Well, that's just throwing stuff around without looking at tables to think of serious balance. But it could certainly work from that perspective.

The question is if it's doable at all :) Might well not be.
Last edited by Echo on 17 Dec 2017, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 18 Dec 2017, 09:22

Another small issues:
- dwarfs and warlocks don't fight with each other in tunnels to Nighon
- strange thing happened in Nighon - friendly warlock killed one peasant (dunno why)
- in Tularean Forest my hunter with master ID monster (7 pts) couldn't identify some peasants with low amount of health (some kind integer overflow?), moreover, killing certain peasants don't make others hostile

Is it possible to find "Fly" spell in Air Guilds on Antagarich before choosing light / dark path?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Dec 2017, 11:07

nortonex wrote:- dwarfs and warlocks don't fight with each other in tunnels to Nighon
- strange thing happened in Nighon - friendly warlock killed one peasant (dunno why)
It's not a bug, it's a feature.
They never fought between themselves and were allied against gogs in MM7.
Friendly warlock killing a peasant is a bug of original game. I don't know why, but she always kills that one NPC.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 18 Dec 2017, 12:22

Genie Lamp bonuses always seem to go to the 4th character, no matter who uses the lamp.

Hmm... This is odd! When I cast Fire Aura on a hand weapon, it is sometimes applied to a different weapon in the character's inventory (on the left side). The spell may fail when there are lots of weapons in the inventory and I try to use it on one of them. When I move the desired weapon to another character's inventory that's mostly empty, I can cast Fire Aura just fine. Maybe this has to do with why the spell hasn't always been working for me?

It seems that Free Haven's Mind, Spirit and Body guilds are connected to Silver Cove's Self guild. They have the same selection, and when I buy a spell from Silver Cove's Self Guild, it will be gone from Free Haven's corresponding guild as well.
Last edited by Phobos on 18 Dec 2017, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.

ryugasen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryugasen » 18 Dec 2017, 14:09

Two more bugs:
1) my cleric seems to have preservation on all the time. Every 2 minutes it auto-casts again. I didn't notice when did this start happening but now it is always on.
2) You can keep giving ingredients to The guy who wants ingredients for a black potion in ironsand desert and he'll keep making black potions for you infinitely.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 18 Dec 2017, 17:53

ryugasen wrote:Two more bugs:
1) my cleric seems to have preservation on all the time. Every 2 minutes it auto-casts again. I didn't notice when did this start happening but now it is always on.
2) You can keep giving ingredients to The guy who wants ingredients for a black potion in ironsand desert and he'll keep making black potions for you infinitely.
1) Same for my Great Druid in the 5th slot. I wonder what's triggering this. First I thought it was the artifact Serendine's Preservation, but it has no such effect on other characters.

jester
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jester » 18 Dec 2017, 20:58

Just registred to say thank you, Rodril! Great job, realy great!

I've found one bug: can't open warded doors at lord of fire hall

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 18 Dec 2017, 21:23

ryugasen wrote:Two more bugs:
I suppose that Ghost Ring gives you preservation effect.

jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jmaster » 18 Dec 2017, 21:29

I started to receive strange debug error. It startedafter bounty hunting string click in one of mm6 town halls. Now it shows after every travelling both spells or foot/horse/boat. The only thing I did before that - disabled autolevelling by renaming Bolster - maps.txt. The debug code is following:

Code: Select all

...ames\Might and Magic VIII\Scripts\General\MiscTweaks.lua:323: attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'MonId' (a nil value)

stack traceback:
	...ames\Might and Magic VIII\Scripts\General\MiscTweaks.lua: in function 'v'
	Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:68: in function <Scripts/Core/EventsList.lua:63>

local variables of 'v':
	(*temporary) = (function: builtin#4)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x22990068)
	(*temporary) = nan
	(*temporary) = "oute3.odm"
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x229905e0)
	(*temporary) = (function: 0x029b08c8)
	(*temporary) = (table: 0x29deb310)
	(*temporary) = nil
	(*temporary) = "attempt to perform arithmetic on field 'MonId' (a nil value)"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
Teleported to mm7 to grandmaster skills, entered the dragon cave in Tatalia, rested there - spawned green dragon. After killing it, I looted strange "item(0)" named "_misc190". Such item was once generated in wine cellar too.
Screenshot is here: https://yadi.sk/i/wFhUdIP13QjaCQ
Save here(previous bug is present here too): https://yadi.sk/d/LTg7m-yw3QjaHV
Another one, with lootable blue dragon. "Item (0)" with various id generates quite often : https://yadi.sk/d/3Nb3jxWz3Qjc4w

Third - sometimes relics are generated with bonuses as common items. Screenshot: https://yadi.sk/i/nyP2Wluk3Qjc3X
Last edited by jmaster on 18 Dec 2017, 23:45, edited 7 times in total.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 18 Dec 2017, 23:19

So, my last bugs seem to be fixed (genie lamps, arch mage crash, guards in Enroth, random keyboard/mouse press crash). Also, Nicolai disappeared after an hour of playing (unfortunately while I was in Deyja, so good luck finding him).
Great job Rodril!

EDIT: I know that you've decided to solve this issue otherwise but I wondered if you can maybe give me a solution: I'd like my party members to wait for me in the adventurer's inn indefinitely (no matter what's their condition or where do they come from) so I can for example spend some time with some of them and some with different party. Now I worry that I'll miss the time and they will go away. Especially If you'd give us a possibility to create them later on.

EDIT2: I've been pressing A and then clicked on the left mouse button - the game crashed. I use GOG version of MM8 and the latest version of the editor.

Also: resting in Harmondale castle used to cost 0 food - now it's 2. Was this a bug originally?
Also: Have you considered using this spellbook instead of this weirdly coloured purple one for the Dimension door spell?
Last edited by albahr on 19 Dec 2017, 00:21, edited 3 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 19 Dec 2017, 05:41

New update with some recent fixes is in first post (new artifact's bonuses, black potions hunt and some other), thanks.
Phobos wrote:Hmm, there seems to be something off about Ghost Ring. At level 10 Spirit Magic, it gives a bonus of +13.
Yes, it gives preservation buff, and mulitiplies skill in spirit and dark magic by 1.5 including previous bonuses.
nortonex wrote:Is it possible to find "Fly" spell in Air Guilds on Antagarich before choosing light / dark path?
Don't think so.
jester wrote:I've found one bug: can't open warded doors at lord of fire hall
Fixed, start conversation with Lord of Fire again to get proper quest.
jmaster wrote:I looted strange "item(0)" named "_misc190".
This is dimension door scroll, apply today's patch and reapply russian localization to fix it. Bounty hunt issue should not appear anymore either.
albahr wrote:unfortunately while I was in Deyja, so good luck finding him
Haha, don't worry, uncle Archibald will take care of him.
Rest cost is fixed, it will become 0 after castle rebuilt (dwarf's quest). Those spellbooks are original from mm6, purple one was not used anyhow, i'd like to keep it easy recognizable. Companions waiting one year for now, maybe i'll add condition for them to stay without limit if their overall items cost higher than some point. Can not reproduce issue with crashes by mousecliks for now, will try again.
Echo wrote: Would it be at all possible (in a mod, perhaps, or something) to grow the promotion quests to have additional steps to utilize all continent promotion quests and extend the progression?
Yes, class tables are unlimited now, so any added row/column in them will appear in the game. Promotion is, basically, switching from one class to another. But there are few inconvenient points:
1. Tables are scattered: "Class HP SP.txt", "Class skills.txt", "Class Starting skills.txt", "Class Starting Stats.txt", "Character selection.txt" - in "...Data\Tables" folder, "Class.txt" - in EnglishT.lod.
2. Game counts even numbers as base class and uneven as it's next (and only) promotion, it matters for skills display in character's skills window and for template texts like: "You have to be promoted to *** to learn this skill".
3. The need to create promotion quests manually.
Last edited by Rodril on 19 Dec 2017, 05:49, edited 3 times in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 19 Dec 2017, 10:56

Rodril wrote:New update with some recent fixes is in first post (new artifact's bonuses, black potions hunt and some other), thanks.
Phobos wrote:Hmm, there seems to be something off about Ghost Ring. At level 10 Spirit Magic, it gives a bonus of +13.
Yes, it gives preservation buff, and mulitiplies skill in spirit and dark magic by 1.5 including previous bonuses.
Ah, I see! But upon closer inspection, it gives +5 to my elemental skills (no matter what the original level is), no bonus to dark, and +13 to Spirit Magic (at level 10 without other modifiers). Maybe something is off about the coding? Anyway, I like this buff! Can the ring's description be changed to reflect this change?

I'm very curious about the prospect of new promotions. I wonder what program could be used to create such a promotion quest?

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 19 Dec 2017, 12:59

Another bug: after accepting Malwick's wand and then failing to appear in Tatalia and do the quest, Stanley's mercenaries spawn in Harmondale and in the castle... all the time. I've killed all of them like 5 times already and they keep appearing every time I enter the castle. My golem can't stand it any longer.
(All the doors in Harmondale are locked).

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 19 Dec 2017, 14:14

[double]
Last edited by albahr on 19 Dec 2017, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 19 Dec 2017, 15:52

Reapply latest update and kill them again. Should be fixed now.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 19 Dec 2017, 20:36

Rodril wrote:Reapply latest update and kill them again. Should be fixed now.
Fixed. Discovered: champion promotion quest bugged (5 arena tournaments at knight level - arena looks like the Jadamean arena, the dialogue is like I've not won even one arena tournament). Master Archer promotion gives you 5 copies of the Perfect Bow.

nortonex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nortonex » 19 Dec 2017, 20:51

Another small one: in Murmurwoods stone statues don't disappear when you rescue pilgrims and/or Cauri

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 19 Dec 2017, 21:57

equs wrote:Have found a bug too, the son of arion hunter (a rat man) seems to be a dragon when you talk to him in the prison of ogres in Alvar. I have made a screenshot of it, but don't know how to add an image from my computer to the post.
Equs, to add an mage to your post, use the 'Img' button or type '[img]'(link%20to%20your%20image)'[/img]'.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 19 Dec 2017, 22:12

It seems that MM6 fountains/shrines that deal with resistances have some issues concerning Fire resistance. The shrine of Gods gives +40 permanent to Fire and +20 to others. It's like the game boosts all resistances and then adds +20 to Fire again for some reason. The fountain that should give +5 temporary Elemental resistances next to Newton's castle adds +5 permanent to fire instead of temporary, the other resistances work as intended. The fountain in Eel Infested Waters that should give a +20 temporary Elemental resistances similarly gives a permanent +20 to fire.

Return to “Might and Magic”