Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby kristal » 22 Nov 2017, 19:52

Right after map loading.
No, only Club.
All these possibilities are fantastic, but not enough NPCPROF.TXT
Do not work membership in guilds!
I translated on Russian language your mod: https://yadi.sk/d/0_-hBSHu3PujGu

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 22 Nov 2017, 20:55

I love how you've integrated the bounty hunts between the continents! And the way the monster spawns in the same area in Antagarich; it's always a fun surprise to see what's going to get hunted down next. And it saves time because you can stay on the same map!

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 23 Nov 2017, 05:04

Some minor issues in promotions fixed in last patch. Lich transformation and immunities too. Fixed item enchanting and piligrimages. Thanks.
Phobos wrote:Judge Grey won't die for me... I've waited 5-6 months after fixing the castle, did Elf King and Catherine's quests and brought Judge Grey the Trumpet in May. It's September, and he is still alive and kicking :D Should I wait longer?
Ouch, i've forgot about this way to get rid of Trumpet. Apply last patch, messenger dialog should appear right at next visit to Harmondale.
Phobos wrote:Travelling from Regna by boat will result in a game crash. Luckily I got Town Portal!.. The challenges still say I've failed them (even the lowly game of Might on Dagger Wound Island, char has 200 Might). Maybe the requirements have been set wrong?
Can you send me your savegame file by any chance? Maybe i'm missing something related to rich gameplay.
kristal wrote:Right after map loading.

Can not reproduce this issue for now, i'll look into it a bit later.
kristal wrote:Do not work membership in guilds!
Added in last patch.
kristal wrote:I translated on Russian language your mod: https://yadi.sk/d/0_-hBSHu3PujGu
I've removed *.evt script files from archives (I'm still changing them sometimes) and included link into first post, thanks.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 23 Nov 2017, 10:28

Wow, another update so quickly! Thanks! I sent you my game file, as you requested.

I like how you increased the availability of the Elemental and Self spells! Makes things progress much more smoothly :) However, there is another issue: the Light and Dark M and GM spells seem to be no longer available. They were available before this patch in White Cap and Silver Cove, but now they don't exist anywhere in the world. Another funny thing: I bought some Dark spells in Shadowspire, and the same books are gone in shops Blackshire and the Pit. It seems as though the guilds are one and the same :D Maybe you could change it so that Light and Dark M and GM spells are available in Celeste and Pit? Divine Intervention would need special treatment, I guess, because there's the Archmage quest involved.

My Lich is still acting a bit weird. Every time I reload, his portrait changes back to the necromancer one. I can change it back to Lich by talking to Lathean, but it's only temporary. I also wonder if it would be possible to make his Mind and Body resistances fixed, so no modifiers could reduce them? Vampire's Mind immunity works correctly; even when I equip Last Stage Cuirass, they stay immune.

I still can't seem to be able to enchant MM6 and MM7 items, and the challenges don't work for me. It always says 'You have failed the game', even though I've raised my stats very high with wells, barrels and potions.

Luckily, the Town Portal issue has been fixed now! I can traverse all over Jadame again. And the judge died with the latest patch. I could happily join the Pit now :D

The obelisk treasure of Antagarich doesn't appear at midnight on Evenmorn Islands like it's supposed to.

A couple more minor things: For some reason, all my characters start with maximum HP and SP, even if I haven't maxed their endurance and intellect/personality. The stats go back to normal after resting. The 2nd-5th characters don't get spell books according to the magic skills they pick at start. Also, the Fire, Air, Water and Earth guilds offer Meditation instead of Learning (Meditation is correctly offered in Self guilds).

Daedalus's Priest quest still remains in the quest log after completing it. I haven't done the Initiate one but I'm guessing it may too.

When I just started a new game on Antagarich, I couldn't enter Castle Harmondale: The Butler wouldn't go to the tavern after I talked to him the first time. But reloading the autosave from Emerald Island helped, and I could enter the castle just fine. I don't know what happened there; perhaps the game didn't like the fact that I walked around Harmondale for a while and even did a Bounty Hunt before talking to the Butler? 8|

I'm currently doing a run where I restrict experience gain by only allowing myself to do the main quests and the promotion quests for my party members. Let's see if this will be a challenge!
Last edited by Phobos on 24 Nov 2017, 15:55, edited 9 times in total.

cpenny1
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cpenny1 » 24 Nov 2017, 16:11

Hey, im having a little problem with my Might and Magic 6,7,8 Merge. First of i dont know if it makes any difference but i have 2 copies of might and magic 8 installed on my computer, one is dedicated for the merge and the other one is normal. I have followed your instructions by installing the greyface patch but i did install the voodo thingy that makes mm8 look better but it said it was compatible. However, it looks like my game freezes after i create my character. I have tried selecting all 3 of the starting areas but i am having the same problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Nov 2017, 19:58

Messed up with challenges and Jadam lich promotion, fixed it, but have not put into update, should work now. Obelisk treasure of Antagrich (and "Temple in a bottle") fixed, thanks.
Phobos wrote:Daedalus's Priest quest still remains in the quest log after completing it. I haven't done the Initiate one but I'm guessing it may too.
Should disappear next time, when you'll talk to him about promotion.
Phobos wrote:The Butler wouldn't go to the tavern after I talked to him the first time.
Should work correctly now, also he won't allow you to enter before finishing scavenger hunt.
cpenny1 wrote:Hey, im having a little problem with my Might and Magic 6,7,8 Merge.
Having few copies of MM8 should not affect this anyhow. Have you tried to launch game without Voodoo? It works fine for me, but significantly decreases perfomance when scaled up a lot. Launching in windowed mode may solve it (press f4 in main menu or setup voodoo to launch game that way). And was freeze like game does not respond at all or like it loading something whole eternity?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 25 Nov 2017, 12:38

Fantastic! Now my Lich and the promotion quests work correctly, and challenges recognize my stats - however, all of the various challenges only award +3 skill points: 'Games of X' should give +3 skill points, 'Contests' +5 SP (stat requirement 50), 'Tests' +7 SP (req 100), and 'Challenges' +10 SP (req 200).

Now skills cost the appropriate amount of money in Travelers' supplies! And I think the guilds of Light and Dark are very well balanced at the moment. In Antagarich, however, it's still impossible to learn the Learning skill. Maybe it should be available in the Elemental guilds instead of Meditation?

This new run of mine is proving quite interesting due to the experience restrictions. I plan to make a Lich, an Archmage, a Priest of the Dark, a Warlock and a Master Archer, which requires promoting a couple of the members in Enroth.

It seems the game crashes when I try to travel away from Evenmorn Islands by boat. 8| Funny thing: it takes 1 day to travel there from Bracada, but it takes 6 days to travel back :D

There are bugged items in the Deyjan chest that contains a golem leg, the one near the eastern border.
Last edited by Phobos on 25 Nov 2017, 13:26, edited 3 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 25 Nov 2017, 17:06

Apply today's update: no more bugged gold; now challenges display correct number of given skill points in status text; sets of skills available to learn in guilds are corrected; some tweaks in boat-travelling - it should not give bugs anymore.
Last edited by Rodril on 25 Nov 2017, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 26 Nov 2017, 04:11

Perhaps even more impressive than the mod itself is the post-launch support you're giving it.

Thank you for your work.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 26 Nov 2017, 13:00

I agree with Bandobras, you're doing a fantastic job! Boat travel works great now, no crashes whatsoever. No bugged items either! I'm really enjoying the game. However, the challenges are causing problems again :D Now they've gone back to saying "You have failed the game", even though I have the requirements. These things really seem quite tricky!

I just realized that Liches don't change voices upon promotion. They don't get +20 elemental resistances either, but Warrior Mages do. IIRC, Warrior Mages aren't supposed to get those?

The Jadame town portal still works a bit strangely. All the destinations are immediately available when you enter it from another continent (in my case Antagarich). It's better this way than it was a few days ago, when the destinations kept disappearing, but I wonder what's causing this? Are the continents linked in such a way that discovering all of the destinations of Antagarich causes Jadamean destinations to appear as well? Weird.
Last edited by Phobos on 26 Nov 2017, 13:37, edited 2 times in total.

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 27 Nov 2017, 18:07

On the emerald Isle learn the skill chain Chain and Plate. And dragonflies appear after loading the game.
In what file are written classes in a new game for Jadame, Enroth, Antagarich?
Is it possible to create new skills or new magic?
GrayFace wrote code in MM7 add two pictures when the game is loading:
mem.IgnoreProtection(true)
mem.u1[0x44350C+1] = 7
mem.u1[0x44351F+1] = 7
mem.u1[0x4434F0+2] = 7
mem.u1[0x4434F5+2] = 7
mem.IgnoreProtection(false)
Last edited by kristal on 28 Nov 2017, 17:40, edited 4 times in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 27 Nov 2017, 22:37

Eric von Stromgard takes away the Dragon Tower Keys upon the completion of the first promotion quest, so you can't reset the towers after that. (It does work if you turn the towers off before reporting the first promotion quest and report both things at once.)

The AI of Common rats, Ghosts, Acolytes of Baa and Apprentice Magi is a little bit funny - they just run away like peasants :D
Last edited by Phobos on 27 Nov 2017, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 28 Nov 2017, 16:51

Wonderful project! I must to test it! :-D

Rodril, once I made two armors conversions from MM7 to MM8 (only for man and woman for now) for needs of my modification. I will send them to you if you want.
Last edited by J. M. Sower on 28 Nov 2017, 16:53, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 28 Nov 2017, 19:45

I've found issue of Town portal. Hope it won't behave this way anymore. In new games town portal locations won't be suddenly opened. Voices and resistances of liches fixed, though they don't get +20 after transformation, thier resistances became 20 if they were lower before. Some values of monster's AI corrected. Did some changes in challenges, try it. Thanks.
Phobos wrote:Eric von Stromgard takes away the Dragon Tower Keys
Did not he give keys back when you took quest? He should have. Tweaked it a bit, he also will give new keys if party lost previous.
kristal wrote:In what file are written classes in a new game for Jadame, Enroth, Antagarich?
Default values are in "MenuChooseCharacter.lua", after new patch "Character selection.txt" will be generated in "...Data\Tables" folder, use it.
kristal wrote:Is it possible to create new skills or new magic?
I did not touch these aspects at all, if MMExtension itself does not have something for it, then i guess not, but it is not imposiible. It will require further digging in disassembly.
J. M. Sower wrote:Rodril, once I made two armors conversions from MM7 to MM8 (only for man and woman for now) for needs of my modification. I will send them to you if you want.
Sure, thanks.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 29 Nov 2017, 17:00

Do you want to add characters from MM7? With armors I will send you my conversion of one of MM7 womens (at this time it replaces PC08 but because I made it before the limit was deleted).

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 30 Nov 2017, 17:44

Great fixes! Things are progressing very smoothly. A couple of more things:

Bounty Hunting quests in Jadame only give experience points to the first character.

Castle Harmondale respawns (bad for those who thought it would be safe to keep stuff in the chests).

'Bring the letter detailing Silvertongue's treason to the High Council' isn't removed from the quest log when Silvertongue leaves the Council.

Game of Might seemed to work all right on Dagger Wound when I tried it. It provided +3 skill points for all my characters. Things seem to have improved so that some challenges work with varying result but others do not:
- It seems that Challenges and Contests have switched places. Contests used to appear in places like Harmondale, Tularean Forest and Deyja, but now they are called Challenges. Challenges, which used to be in Nighon and Eofol, are now Contests.
- All kinds of challenges only look at the permanent stat value instead of the temporary (green) one, as opposed to what they do in the original games, so it is very hard to get the necessary values.
- Challenges (located where contests should be) don't seem to give me any bonuses at all even after a stat of 200. They should provide 10 skill points at that level.
- Tests are correctly placed and named, but the requirement and reward are slightly off. I tried a test with stats between 112-175 and received +6 skill points (almost correct, it should be +7). A stat of 220 provided no reward, strangely, so maybe there is a newly introduced cap of 200? They should work with a stat of 100+.
- Contests (altough located in the wrong places) now have the correct requirement of 50 but provide +4 skill points instead of +5.

I don't know if this is important or not, but the promotion quests in Antagarich and Jadame give more experience to the character getting promoted whereas those in Enroth give everyone the same exp. If you want to go for a unified thing, maybe this is worth noting; then again, it's a property of the games so it's up to you :D

I'm very much enjoying this run of Lich, Archmage, Warlock, Priest of the Dark and Master Archer. I've completed the council quests of Enroth, talked to the advisors of the Pit and am also on my way to getting the hearts of the elements. Such a fun game with all these the three continents!
Last edited by Phobos on 30 Nov 2017, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

J. M. Sower
Scout
Scout

Unread postby J. M. Sower » 30 Nov 2017, 18:51

I have made a new conversion from MM7 specially for your mod. This is PC12. What do you think? I will send both MM7 elfs womens when they will be done.
Last edited by J. M. Sower on 30 Nov 2017, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 01 Dec 2017, 11:57

Wow this is amazing! I need to try this out! :)
Thank you for all your hard work.

albahr
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby albahr » 01 Dec 2017, 13:32

That's a wonderful job. Never thought I'd actually see this after years of MMX/Tributes/WoX and fan expansions that never work out (J.M.Sower I'm counting on you to change that last part!).

These are the bugs I've encountered:
1) El game crashes after visiting a guild that I'm not a member of.
2) I have absolutely no idea where do my party members go after I dismiss them, so I worry to do so.
3) Is there any rule about where do joinable characters appear? Until now I've met them only in taverns and temples (much more in Enroth than in Antagarich).
4) I don't really know how to 'evolve' my party members - are those classes taken from MM7 or MM6? I've seen that I can travel to Jadame from Antagarich as soon as I've got my castle rebuilt but I can't go back and I'm stuck with my sorcerer unable to upgrade her in Jadame.
5) I was going to use MM8 character editor for test purposes but it seems to break the game. Is there a way to use MMExtension instead? (I've managed to add gold but any line about a single character doesn't seem to work).
6) Apple trees don't change texture after picking the apple :D

Lucius
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lucius » 01 Dec 2017, 16:37

Dear Rodril, I'm really amazed by your work, it is reaally great! Thanks a lot for doing this.
I would like to report strange behaviour of magic guilds in Jadame. Distribution of books sold is broken, very often only norma/expert books, master books don't appear at all except sometimes it can be one book, but it always of same kind, gm books don't appear.
Last edited by Lucius on 01 Dec 2017, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”