MM7 -- Revised Opinion On GM Body Magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

MM7 -- Revised Opinion On GM Body Magic

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 21 Oct 2017, 04:54

I used to think GM Body Magic was vital for fighting late-game creatures (most notably Blood Titans). Having looked at Grayface's mechanics page, though, I decided to try a playthrough where I kill everything -- including all the creatures on the landscape in the Land of the Titans -- without GM Body Magic. Actually, without GM any magic. My party ended up being K/T/P/A.

It worked. By hoarding up horseshoes and genie lamps, I was able to keep my Paladin's Body Magic level at a point where I stood a reasonable chance of not getting wiped out by Minotaur Lords or Blood Titans thanks to Body Resistance (and my Paladin could keep up with the occasional death). I still had to play more carefully than I would have with a Cleric, but the lack of GM Body Magic didn't feel like a death sentence.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. And a thanks to Grayface for the documentation!
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: MM7 -- Revised Opinion On GM Body Magic

Unread postby Anubis » 21 Oct 2017, 22:33

That's pretty interesting to know that. Also, I'm not sure if a lot of people know this, but if you cast Protection from Magic w/ GM Body, you can spam that well @ Land of the Giants. Hold down spacebar for a good 10 seconds [something like that] or so without dying.
Last edited by Anubis on 21 Oct 2017, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Oct 2017, 09:54

So, at master level protection from magic does not give you immunity, but still reduces the chances for eradication sufficiently? Looking at your party, did you take the titans in melee?

Many fights against late game monsters are optional, but from my experience archers with real time flying outdoors or casting slow indoors do not get hit often. I wonder if AAAD would perform as well as AAAC

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Oct 2017, 14:40

According to GrayFace's mechanics page, https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics, Poison/Dead/Eradicated are resisted by Body Resistance. This was borne out by my playthrough, but it's not Master Level Protection From Magic you want: it's Master Level Body Resistance for the 3xBody Magic Skill resistance bonus.

You could also use an Archmage with GM Light Magic and Day of Protection for similar help.

I did take the Titans in melee, though I was using Jump (in the Titan's Stronghold) and Fly (in the Land of the Titans) to avoid getting hit by their Sparks.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 25 Oct 2017, 19:17

Oh right, my bad.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 26 Oct 2017, 07:38

Well in my experience GM body is one thing that makes game more or less frustrating . If enemy can instantly terminate you then you basically need to avoid getting shot, which no doubt is MUCH harder, so if you are not "cheesing" enemies then GM is a must.
Of course with A or P in team you can abuse paralysis, which works for most part except for Tolberti fight.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 26 Oct 2017, 16:19

@Tress: That's what I used to think, too. But sufficiently high levels of Body Magic (Body Resistance) lower the chances of getting instakilled to the point where you can keep up with it if you play carefully (i.e. don't take on three Blood Titans at once). I still had people getting killed, but my Spirit Magic Paladin also happened to be the one I put any Body Resistance enchanted items on, so they could keep up by casting Raise Dead. :)

I don't think I was cheesing in either case; I wasn't dodging their attacks with Fly; I was floating at a constant level so I wouldn't get hit by Sparks (which I think is a legitimate use of Fly).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Nov 2017, 22:42

So body resist decreases the chance of harmful effects occurring? I had no idea. Damn, these games are so complex that you learn new stuff about them all the time.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Nov 2017, 02:42

Xfing wrote:So body resist decreases the chance of harmful effects occurring? I had no idea. Damn, these games are so complex that you learn new stuff about them all the time.
It depends on the effect; the link to Grayface's page explains what resistances you want vs. which effects.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Nov 2017, 08:55

Bandobras Took wrote:@Tress: That's what I used to think, too. But sufficiently high levels of Body Magic (Body Resistance) lower the chances of getting instakilled to the point where you can keep up with it if you play carefully (i.e. don't take on three Blood Titans at once). I still had people getting killed, but my Spirit Magic Paladin also happened to be the one I put any Body Resistance enchanted items on, so they could keep up by casting Raise Dead. :)

I don't think I was cheesing in either case; I wasn't dodging their attacks with Fly; I was floating at a constant level so I wouldn't get hit by Sparks (which I think is a legitimate use of Fly).
Well main hardest fight in my opinion is Blaster guy fight , and i dont really think you can avoid effect that happens generally on every other turn by just some resistance boosting. Still even if so, it just makes game more difficult plain and simple as alternatives are very tirersome to do.
Well outside enemies are are rarely a problem since there is flight (which even without lift/lower abuse) makes fights much more doable by endgame. Inside however you are prone to status effects as you will have to fight.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Nov 2017, 13:31

Tress wrote:i dont really think you can avoid effect that happens generally on every other turn by just some resistance boosting.
That was the point of the test game; to see whether it made a difference. It did; it went from every other turn to every 7-10 turns.
Still even if so, it just makes game more difficult plain and simple as alternatives are very tiresome to do.
The point is that it does provide an alternative; I used to think there wasn't one.

Actually, now that I think of it, it's easier to get obscene levels of the Alchemy skill (and ingredients carry innate power with them, anyway), so homemade Body Resistance potions might also do the trick, and do it better than Master Body Magic.

Return to “Might and Magic”