mmtools development

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: mmtools development

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 Jun 2017, 20:10

That one's meant to be used with my patch: https://sites.google.com/site/angelddea ... lution-mod
The mods turned out to be very simple. Game graphics somehow stretches automatically when game window is scaled. I think I'll incorporate them into the upcoming versions of my patches. It also made me think of making "borderless fullscreen" mode in the future.
Last edited by GrayFace on 24 Jun 2017, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

waltc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby waltc » 25 Jun 2017, 17:34

GrayFace wrote:That one's meant to be used with my patch: https://sites.google.com/site/angelddea ... lution-mod
The mods turned out to be very simple. Game graphics somehow stretches automatically when game window is scaled. I think I'll incorporate them into the upcoming versions of my patches. It also made me think of making "borderless fullscreen" mode in the future.
The only ones that work for me are *your* modified versions of Ad's res mod for M&M7 & 8. Your fixes to ad's earlier work function wonderfully under the latest beta build of Win10x64 (build 16226)--whereas ad's res mod alone has never actually worked for me in any M&M game. Borderless in your res mods would put the icing on the cake!

I know that MM6 is not D3d, but I do wonder if the entire game couldn't be forced to run in D3d software mode...? If so, then maybe an easy adaptation of your fix to angeldeath's res mod for MM7/8 might also work for MM6 and allow me to run it in a scaled 2560x1440 window (Thanks again for your work there--I was almost giving them up!--7/8 look great scaled to 2560x1440 as neither game would *run at all* at any res, save M&M6, which with your 2.0 patch only runs in the 640x480 windowed mode. Kept getting "unable to open render device"-type errors in 6, 7, 8 before I installed your mods 7/8.)

The reason I suggest this is because I own dozens of GOG DOSbox games that GOG configures to run either Overlay or DDraw(I use Dosbox SVN-Daum instead of Gog's rudimentary use of .74 Dosbox that is fairly standard), and I change them *all* to Direct3d and the same non-D3d games run splendidly--better than in Overlay/DDraw modes by far--and I can use shaders to neaten them up slightly if I choose, and I can scale them all up to my monitor's native res. So I was wondering about doing the same with M&M6. Just a thought...;) (I know of course that M&M6 is not a Dos game--but just wanted to illustrate the principle.)

So glad to see you still interested! I had begun to think you'd simply tired of working with these games. Glad to see I was wrong. These games 6-8 and maybe 9, sort of, are addictive in a way that is unique and in a way that I cannot quite understand!...:D
Win10x64
R5 1600 @ 3.8GHz
Radeon RX-480 8GB
16 GB ram
4.2 TB's of storage

Endarire
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Endarire » 05 Sep 2017, 22:40

Greetings, all!

I would like GreyFace to be the definitive patch for MM7 and maybe other games, including the resolution mod(s).

Thankee for your help so far!

Smile, all! Jesus loves you!

CERBOT
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby CERBOT » 04 Nov 2017, 14:39

Hi,

I've felt like going back to playing some old games so I got the GoG version of the game and Im trying to get the higher resolution mod to work, but I've tried various combinations and it never seems to work. The furthest I got is opening the game in a window rather than full screen (is that supposed to be like that?) but the resolution was the same as before.

I've tried installing the below:

https://sites.google.com/site/angelddea ... lution-mod
http://www.old-games.ru/forum/attachmen ... 1241241819 (MMResTool027fix2.zip)
https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... edirects=0 (GrayFace MM7 Patch v2.0)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkvid0g7glemv ... e.rar?dl=0

but I cant figure out what order and which ones I should use.

And once installed, there are multiple exe files (mm7, mm7-rel, mm7-res) so I'm not sure which one to use.

I've seen people saying that I need to amend the mm7.ini file or mmt_d3d_screen.bat but I'm not sure what to do there either.

Could someone please give me a very simple step-by-step guide on what to do? I've tried a couple from this thread, but they seem to be older so I might be using different versions of the files or something...

Thanks!!

Aerrie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aerrie » 04 Nov 2017, 23:46

Hi guys, I think I am having a similar problem to CERBOT above with the GOG version, I did the below after reading everything in this and other threads:

1)
Installed GOG version (1.1) of MM7 - Game crashes at launch, no matter whether I use MM7.exe or MM7-Rel.exe.
No crash report

2)
GOG sais to install Greyface patch to fix the crashing at launch, so ok, I installed MM7patch Greyface.exe into game dir
(not into the weird {pf} it wants to install itself into).
Game still crashes at launch, no matter whether I use MM7.exe or MM7-Rel.exe.
No crash report

The only way I got the game to work is to copy files named ddraw.dll and mmcl.ini (or only ddraw.dll) into game dir
(I found these files on https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10). It does not seem to matter whether I copy them into the dir
before or after applying the Greyface patch (or after applying mm7resmod-GreyFace), the fix files make the game work in both cases,
but only if launching through MM7-Rel.exe.
If launched through MM7.exe, the mouse in the menus is nearly impossible to navigate due to like 1 actual FPS.
After managing to Load or start a New Game after struggling with the mouse cursor, the game is still in the original low resolution.
After closing the game, I get error 0xC0000005: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION and a crash dump.

3)
Extracting mm7resmod-GrayFace into game dir after doing the above does not change the resolution.
When I launch through mm7-res.exe, the same happens as if I launched MM7.exe
When I remove mm7.exe to force mm7-res.exe to launch through MM7-Rel.exe, it sais GameLauch failed (yes, with the typo).
Renaming mm7-Rel.exe to mm7.exe and launching mm7-res.exe gives error Unknown mm7.exe

I suspect that the root of the problem is that the base GOG version does not actually work on my (and CERBOT's) system for some reason,
even after applying the GreyFace patch.

My setup is Win 7 64bit, G-Sync 144 Hz monitor.

Can you guys please help me? I want to play in 720p or 1080p resolution.
I have been trying various solutions and combinations of the above for days, but still no result :(

UPDATE: Some progress after editing the file mmcl.ini to 1080p resolution and to windowed mode:

4) (after above UPDATE)
Launching through mm7.exe (launches as MMCL 4.7.0.700 Alpha) causes mouse cursor to disappear, so unplayable, but the game is finally in 1080p, though in a very small window, not stretched, so not playable. If launched in fullscreen, game reverts to old res, even if MMCL text and Nvidia pop-up are 1080p.

Launching through mm7-Rel.exe (launches as MMCL 0.0.0.3 Alpha) causes mouse cursor to work with 1080p, yey!,
though still in a very small window, not stretched, so not playable. If launched in fullscreen, game reverts to old res, even if MMCL text and Nvidia pop-up are 1080p.

Now I need to figure out how to stretch it out and we are in bussiness !

UPDATE 2: Actually, it turns out that the super laggy 1 FPS in menus attempts were actually the stretched 1080p all along
(some textures look pretty, some, like trees, are low res),
maybe deleting mm7-Rel before applying GreyFace patch helped.
It seems that Music is gone and mouse is laggy ingame too. Could be playable, will do more testing tomorrow.
Applying mm7resmod-GrayFace afterwards does not seem to help anything.

UPDATE 3: So, the mouse lag is not actually very playable. By the way, I was applying GreyFace 1.4, when 2.0 is already available.
It did not seem to fix my issue though.
So, now, I am launching through MM7-Rel, it seems like some parts are in 1080p, but some seem like not.
For example, the dragon on Emerald Island seemed low res compared to a Let's Play video I saw.
I have accepted it and I am playing it this way now, but there is one problem, the mouse cursor seems offset by tens of centimeters to the right,
so I cannot actually right-click on enemies to see their HP values and I cannot specifically target one of them unless I am far more to the right and try to guess the correct location. This will lead to sub-optimal play.
It works fine in the inventory.
Last edited by Aerrie on 07 Nov 2017, 18:39, edited 15 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”