[MM7] Is perma-zombie a bug, or an intended feature?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

[MM7] Is perma-zombie a bug, or an intended feature?

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Aug 2017, 10:04

As you probably know by now, experiencing a full party death while a character is a zombie, has that character retain the zombie portrait and paperdoll upon being brought back at Castle Harmondale, but being in "good" condition instead, which means you can never revert your character to their original appearance.

While having an undead Black Knight seems appropriate and lots of fun, in the long run you might wish to go back to your original appearance. Is this considered a bug, or an intended, hardcoded feature?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: [MM7] Is perma-zombie a bug, or an intended feature?

Unread postby Anubis » 23 Aug 2017, 01:08

Hm. How does one become a Zombie, anyway? Lich-form? I honestly don't remember.

I seem to recall toying around with that. I remember being at the Temple in Celestia, or whatever that place is called. Celeste? I'm not sure, but have you tried healing yourself at a temple or donating at one?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 23 Aug 2017, 09:43

IIRC you can heal zombie status in good temples. Just damage your character a little (water walking for example) and heal him/her in temple.
however I also remember that some people had a problem with that and only way to remove permament zombie status/graphics was to use game editor to fix that bug.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 23 Aug 2017, 11:57

What if the "perma- zombie" dies, is ressurected in Deiya as a zombie, and thereafter visits a good temple? Should it not fix all the former zombifications?

EDIT: ah just read some older discussion suggesting that the link to portraits may become misdirecting, and in this case indeed, the save game editor sounds like the only solution.
Last edited by Pitsu on 23 Aug 2017, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Aug 2017, 22:40

Anubis wrote:Hm. How does one become a Zombie, anyway? Lich-form? I honestly don't remember.

I seem to recall toying around with that. I remember being at the Temple in Celestia, or whatever that place is called. Celeste? I'm not sure, but have you tried healing yourself at a temple or donating at one?
There are two ways to become a zombie. Either get raised at an evil-aligned temple (Nighon too, strangely enough, even though the Warlocks generally despise necromancy), or use the Reanimate spell on a deceased character. Removing the condition can indeed only be done at a good-aligned temple. But once your entire party dies, you lose the condition, but keep the portrait. That's the problem. You can't heal a zombie of zombification if the game thinks the character's fine. The portrait is kept though.
Avonu wrote:IIRC you can heal zombie status in good temples. Just damage your character a little (water walking for example) and heal him/her in temple.
however I also remember that some people had a problem with that and only way to remove permament zombie status/graphics was to use game editor to fix that bug.
You don't need to have your chars damaged to remove adverse conditions, I don't think Zombie is an exception to that. Any good temple can heal any zombified char, even if they're at full health
Pitsu wrote:What if the "perma- zombie" dies, is ressurected in Deiya as a zombie, and thereafter visits a good temple? Should it not fix all the former zombifications?
That's quite interesting! To be honest, I've never tried that. I will have to test it.
EDIT: ah just read some older discussion suggesting that the link to portraits may become misdirecting, and in this case indeed, the save game editor sounds like the only solution.
Yeah... Well, since we've pretty much established that this was most likely not intended, what do you say we add it to the list of changes for Grayface's next patch? :D

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Aug 2017, 22:53

Ok, I've tested the re-zombification thingy. It doesn't work. Your Zombie char gets healed to Good condition, but the portrait remains.

Interestingly enough, though, once you've gotten yourself a permanent Zombie portrait, it features faces for adverse conditions that are otherwise unavailable in proper zombie state. For example your new char will be able to fall unconscious and then die (since they're technically in "good" condition again), with faces to show it all. Likewise with poison, disease, insanity and everything else. I'm beginning to think that the developers included this "bug" on purpose just to show off all these faces which they had to make, but would otherwise see no use at all :D

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 24 Aug 2017, 07:45

Does the zombie have any adverse effects? Stat losses, for instance? I also wonder if becoming a zombie makes you immune to certain effects...like the Lich's immunities.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Aug 2017, 08:54

Anubis wrote:Does the zombie have any adverse effects? Stat losses, for instance? I also wonder if becoming a zombie makes you immune to certain effects...like the Lich's immunities.
No, it's just a portrait mismatch. Once your entire party dies and you're back, your character is in "good" condition, only has the appearance of a zombie (portrait + paperdoll). No effects on stats or resistances whatsoever. As for being in legit zombie condition - I believe it recuces your intellect and personality by 99%, speed and accuracy by 50%, makes healing spells hurt you instead of healing you, and makes you unable to rest.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 25 Aug 2017, 06:44

Xfing wrote:As for being in legit zombie condition - I believe it recuces your intellect and personality by 99%, speed and accuracy by 50%, makes healing spells hurt you instead of healing you, and makes you unable to rest.
I lol'd. That's pretty sad if that happens to you at an evil-aligned temple. Would make me just want to say, "Screw you, guys. I'm going LightSide."
Last edited by Anubis on 25 Aug 2017, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Nov 2018, 14:29

So yeah, dunno about current plans of Templayer's to make zombies a choosable race, considering how seriously this condition screws up your character in "canon".

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 08 Nov 2018, 05:54

It'd be cool if, as a zombie, zombies showed up in those four hostel houses in the Pit and gave you zombie-related quests. (Those houses in the room with the lava river, right before the Temple of Dark where the obelisk is as well)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 12 Nov 2018, 18:28

Clearly a bug, but I doubt it needs to be fixed. I also wonder, would it be triggered by Devine Intervention instead of death?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 20 Nov 2018, 13:21

GrayFace wrote:Clearly a bug, but I doubt it needs to be fixed. I also wonder, would it be triggered by Devine Intervention instead of death?
No, DI cures zombification just like a visit to a temple does. But if you lose your entire party with a zombie in it and choose to continue, you're never getting your previous paperdoll and portrait back.

Return to “Might and Magic”