[MM7] Pre path choice promoter dialogue in the Pit/Celeste

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

[MM7] Pre path choice promoter dialogue in the Pit/Celeste

Unread postby Xfing » 15 Aug 2017, 00:01

It's normally not possible to enter the Pit or Celeste before choosing a path to follow, so in a normal game it's not possible to read what Wynac, Sand or Devine have to say before you've chosen a path. But I seem to remember that dialogue for these instances has been written. Is it possible to see or extract it somehow?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: [MM7] Pre path choice promoter dialogue in the Pit/Celeste

Unread postby Anubis » 21 Aug 2017, 01:35

"If you wish to become Priests of the Light, you must first become Priests. I don't have time to train priests, but my bitter rival, Daedalus Falk, does. Do not worry, he will promote you fairly, even if you do not wish to follow the terrible path of darkness that he represents." - Rebecca Devine

"If you wish to follow the Path of Light, first you must formally choose it. Soon you will be asked to make the choice, and the way will be clear. Until then, I cannot be your guide." - Rebecca Devine

"If you haven't even become Wizards yet, you aren't ready to become Liches. Trouble me not 'til you're qualified." - Halfgild Wynac

"Only followers of the Dark Path can become Liches. You have not yet chosen the path. Return when you choose Darkness." - Halfgild Wynac

"Ambition is good, but I only train experienced students. Come back when you've achieved Initiate status, and perhaps I'll teach you…IF you have the right outlook. If you're looking for someone who is willing to help you become an Initiate, perhaps you should start with that wimp Bartholomew Hume. I'm sure he'd be willing to give you an elementary education." - Stephan Sand

""Though you have achieved initiate status, I am uncertain that you can stomach some of my more extreme teachings. Return to me when you have formally rejected all philosophies that turn people into weaklings and cowards." - Stephan Sand

- All dialogue extracted from NPCTEXT via MMArchive

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Aug 2017, 14:19

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for. The dialogue before you've been promoted the first time is easy enough to come across, but as far as I know, it's impossible to get the dialogue indicative of you not having chosen a path yet, since choosing a path is required to enter both the Pit and Celeste.

Also, I'm surprised that Devine's dialogue mirrors Falk's exactly. Guess they went the lazy way with this :D

On the other hand, not surprised at all with Stephan's dialogue. That man is quite the silver tongue, isn't he now? :D
Last edited by Xfing on 21 Aug 2017, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 21 Aug 2017, 15:06

BTW, snooping around NPCTEXT I saw that the advisors were supposed to have dialogue if you were following the opposite path to them too. In the finished game, they are completely absent instead for some reason. I think it would actually add to the game if you were able to talk to them, as their dialogue can be pretty cool! Something to suggest for Grayface's patch, maybe? :D

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 23 Aug 2017, 01:30

For some reason, I remember Bartholomew Hume (Monk promoter) saying he regrets even having trained you if you visit him after taking the Dark path...Or maybe it was Anthony Green. I'll have to make a new game again sometime to see.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 23 Aug 2017, 09:40

Xfing wrote:BTW, snooping around NPCTEXT I saw that the advisors were supposed to have dialogue if you were following the opposite path to them too. In the finished game, they are completely absent instead for some reason.
They are in game. If you click on promotion quest dialogue, NPC would say he won't train you.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 23 Aug 2017, 22:30

I said "advisors", which means Resurectra or Kastore & co.

Right now they seem to not appear at all if you're on the opposite path. In-game dialogue indicates that they used to in some iteration of the game, they also appeared right off the bat if you chose their path, but every one of them mentioned that they require you to complete the test first.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 24 Aug 2017, 07:42

Ohh. I gotcha. That's pretty interesting. That'd be a neat addition to the patch, for sure.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 24 Aug 2017, 08:50

Anubis wrote:For some reason, I remember Bartholomew Hume (Monk promoter) saying he regrets even having trained you if you visit him after taking the Dark path...Or maybe it was Anthony Green. I'll have to make a new game again sometime to see.
That's Anthony Green who says that. But once you make Warlock, he also congratulates you on it with his welcome line when you see him next. I think it might have been a mistake and these lines were meant for Tor Anwyn. I tried looking for the line as I remember it in NPCTEXT and it indeed had Tor Anwyn next to it. Probably another bug that needs fixing

Bartholomew Hume on the other hand is rather polite if curt in his dismissal of you. He's probably the most polite light path instructor of them all, who doesn't insult you when you choose the dark path, but just says he "isn't permitted to train you any longer".
Last edited by Xfing on 24 Aug 2017, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”