Map Editing from Scratch in MM6-8 Engine?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Rimril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Map Editing from Scratch in MM6-8 Engine?

Unread postby Rimril » 14 Jul 2017, 22:55

I'm new around here but I had a question since it seems unclear about whether there is any sort of modding kit that uses all of the assets from mm6, 7 and 8. I've been recently replaying mm6 and I looked into some different mods to improve the experience, but I am really curious about being able to build a map and story using the game's resources. Obviously the games didn't originally come with map editors, but is there a utility that had been created for building a world from scratch in this engine?

Rimril
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Map Editing from Scratch in MM6-8 Engine?

Unread postby Rimril » 16 Jul 2017, 21:58

No one can answer this?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 17 Jul 2017, 01:14

I do not know the answer, but it has been done. The Chaos Conspiracy being one. One of the more knowledgeable individuals is GrayFace; he has published patches and has aided several people who have tinkered with those 3 games. You might PM him or just continue to wait here. The forums aren't visited as much as they once were and it may just take time for the right ones to see this post.
Last edited by jeff on 17 Jul 2017, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

kristal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kristal » 19 Jul 2017, 09:09

motter25420
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby motter25420 » 22 Jul 2017, 20:51

I'm not sure that is going to be much help to someone who is just starting out. I always modded the maps with Hex, that's how BDJ taught me, but that is pretty involved and to be honest it's been years since I did it so I forget a lot of it. I'm sure Grayface knows an easier way. He is usually good about replying to questions.
Last edited by motter25420 on 22 Jul 2017, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 23 Aug 2017, 23:27

There is no utility that would allow you to build a game from scratch merging all of the assets. By using stuff like MM7View and MMExtension and possibly some LOD merging software you might be able to import some assets between these games.

But you will first need to choose one engine. For instance, choosing MM8, then you can import images/textures from MM7/MM6 and try to make them work. It's not easy due to palettes, especially when it comes to sprites. Though it's obviously possible.

MMExtension will allow you to modify terrain in a rather user-friendly manner, you can add dialogue and quests this way too. I suppose if you dig deep enough you could craft something quite new and different using those things, but I believe you will still be limited by the amount/size of locations. The skills will remain the same, the mechanics, too.

I'd recommend you take a look at the game's resources using the programs I've mentioned and see what can be modified, what can't. Poke around and you might get an idea of what can be done and what you want to do with it given the restraints :) And it's quite a lot! Even if it's not just a brand new game.

Hex editing probably allows to do more complex stuff (like you can see in BDJ's mod, some barrels, special events, magical gizmos), but I haven't touched it with a 10 foot pole to avoid a lasting migraine, so can't say anything about that.
Last edited by Echo on 23 Aug 2017, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”