MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 16 May 2017, 09:27

Xfing wrote:Welp, I hope the next M&M game is real-time and not locked to a grid, 's all I'm saying. I've also said that this franchise has the potential to compete with Elder Scrolls if enough money and time was invested into it, but guess Ubi won't go that route.

Anyway, M&M games have magic to them that even Elder Scrolls games don't, I'd love for another one to come out someday in any shape or form.
Im pretty sure you wont experience another M&M from ubisoft, MMX didnt make enough cash for them to warrant more of them, pretty sure they will focus on Heroes games from now on.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 18 May 2017, 08:44

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
Xfing wrote:Welp, I hope the next M&M game is real-time and not locked to a grid, 's all I'm saying. I've also said that this franchise has the potential to compete with Elder Scrolls if enough money and time was invested into it, but guess Ubi won't go that route.

Anyway, M&M games have magic to them that even Elder Scrolls games don't, I'd love for another one to come out someday in any shape or form.
Im pretty sure you wont experience another M&M from ubisoft, MMX didnt make enough cash for them to warrant more of them, pretty sure they will focus on Heroes games from now on.
I think the Heroes franchise died with H7 and Vivendi is breathing down UBI's neck so they can't afford too many flops. This means might and magic will only be very low cost productions in the future or stamped on something else to boost sales.
This means we get mobile installments with micro transactions :-(

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 May 2017, 19:59

The overall vibe is ominous and a pity. Right now, I would be far more interested on a Might & Magic RPG style game than Heroes, even if the latter was the one I liked the most. It's just that the setting created for Heroes and possible future ones will not appease me. Might & Magic though, that might still come to get my interest. Well, if it was ever developed again. :(
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 May 2017, 10:15

Troller wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:

I think the Heroes franchise died with H7 and Vivendi is breathing down UBI's neck so they can't afford too many flops. This means might and magic will only be very low cost productions in the future or stamped on something else to boost sales.
This means we get mobile installments with micro transactions :-(
Welcome to the modern AAA game making world, DLC's, microtransactions, bitcoin and buggy releases on day 1. :applause:

Also, Heroes died with H3 for me.
Last edited by Talin_Trollbane on 20 May 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 May 2017, 17:21

A question which I asked Marzhin about some time ago.

What is it with these few text lines and artfacts in MMX game files about a second DLC? I'm guessing it was planned but after MMX didn't sell well, DLC2 was scrapped.

Marzhin:
IIRC any patch adding new content was referred as DLC internally.
There was no plan for a second DLC like the Falcon and the Unicorn, but there was some early design for a larger add-on that would have combined with the original game like World of Xeen. It would have taken place in the Savage Islands and the final boss/dungeon would have been a Titan (basically the dungeon was the innards of the Titan).
The story would have run parallel to that of MMXL, you would have been able to take a ship in The Crag to go to the other map at any time (well, you had to reach The Crag first), and once both stories were completed, it would have triggered a final quest about Crag Hack's succession (leading to Tsuan becoming the next Pirate Queen, hence the reference to that I put in Bart's map in H7).
But this project never went beyond a validation of the general story and various ideas compiled in a doc, nothing was ever greenlit. Everybody would rather have moved to a proper MM11, and ultimately sales of MMXL were too low to warrant that.

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 24 May 2017, 06:51

Talin_Trollbane wrote: Welcome to the modern AAA game making world, DLC's, microtransactions, bitcoin and buggy releases on day 1. :applause:

Also, Heroes died with H3 for me.
I mean it died because there will not be another Heroes game as long as UBI holds the rights due to the financial state of Heroes 7.
For me Heroes died with Heroes 4 – it had a lot of potential but lacked polish just like Might and Magic IX. They could have been great but ended up mediocre.
I would have liked to see the Heroes 5 NWC could have made with the lessons learned – if they had survived 3DO. The only good thing about UBI Heroes 5 was the battles but the world map and town screens were awful.

I never played Heroes VI or VII.
Avonu wrote:A question which I asked Marzhin about some time ago.

What is it with these few text lines and artfacts in MMX game files about a second DLC? I'm guessing it was planned but after MMX didn't sell well, DLC2 was scrapped.

Marzhin:
IIRC any patch adding new content was referred as DLC internally.
There was no plan for a second DLC like the Falcon and the Unicorn, but there was some early design for a larger add-on that would have combined with the original game like World of Xeen. It would have taken place in the Savage Islands and the final boss/dungeon would have been a Titan (basically the dungeon was the innards of the Titan).
The story would have run parallel to that of MMXL, you would have been able to take a ship in The Crag to go to the other map at any time (well, you had to reach The Crag first), and once both stories were completed, it would have triggered a final quest about Crag Hack's succession (leading to Tsuan becoming the next Pirate Queen, hence the reference to that I put in Bart's map in H7).
But this project never went beyond a validation of the general story and various ideas compiled in a doc, nothing was ever greenlit. Everybody would rather have moved to a proper MM11, and ultimately sales of MMXL were too low to warrant that.
My last hope is that they sell the Might and Magic rights back to JVC – Though I don't believe they would set a price that he could afford.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 27 May 2017, 23:24

Truth is, even Heroes 7 was relatively low budget, and according to many, a step back from H6 in everything, including the graphics. This franchise was bought for 1,3 million, Ubisoft can't expect it to be their biggest earner. I really hope someone with genuine love for the series acquires the franchise from them and reintroduces the old universe.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 01 Jun 2017, 05:55

I have a question related to MMX replayability. What has been said before about its problems I fully agree with, and for myself the restrictions/linearity in the beginning of the game were the worst. My question is that has anybody or does anyone know somebody who has completed solo MMX? I recall trying it, but already the spider queen or whatever was need to get out of town was such pain, that I gave up.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 01 Jun 2017, 15:46

Solo must be really painful, given you cannot properly grind in that game, and it would start feeling like you would depend a lot of luck. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Jun 2017, 12:29

I didn't hear about anyone, who completed MMX solo. I'm sure it is possible but I don't think anyone would like to torture themselves to do that. Even with four team members is hard to win some battles (especially in DLC), so with solo it would be very painful. Especially with all these harmful efects like poison or feeblemind.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jun 2017, 22:33

No one's soloing the Summer Residence, not a chance in hell. Maybe if the chars received 4x the experience if only they were conscious, but that's not the case.

namad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namad » 14 Jun 2017, 04:01

is showdown any good? that's ubi's problem, mm10 was alright, homm6 was mediocre, etc. Ubisoft doesn't invest heavily in the development of a MM game, then sees it's not as popular as they hoped, and so invests even less the next time. It's not that the IP has problems, but that ubisoft hasn't shown any faith in it yet :(

Troller
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby Troller » 14 Jun 2017, 09:02

namad wrote:Ubisoft doesn't invest heavily in the development of a MM game, then sees it's not as popular as they hoped, and so invests even less the next time. It's not that the IP has problems, but that ubisoft hasn't shown any faith in it yet :(
With the threat from Vivendi I don't think Ubi will bet on a franchise that failed on the last couple of installments – If their foray into mobile with might and Magic also fails they might be interested in selling. Which I think is our best hope :-)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 Jun 2017, 11:35

I wonder what ramifications would an acquisition by Vivendi have for the IP.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Jun 2017, 14:12

Vivendi and aprendendi! *simpers* (play word with 'living and learning')

Return to “Might and Magic”