H3 Some Mapmaking Questions

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
marmot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

H3 Some Mapmaking Questions

Unread postby marmot » 12 Dec 2016, 00:34

I'm practising a bit with making a map for H3 Complete Edition and I've a few questions.

1) What does the 'visiting hero' option do when editing a players starting base? I tried it out and saw you can completely customise a hero there with stats, portrait, starting army, etc. but I'm curious does this option mean that the hero starts off at the base from the beginning of the scenario? Does that mean you could disable players from choosing a hero at the beginning of the scenario and then their starting hero will be the 'visiting' one?

2) What is the 'validate map' option? What does it do?

3) When setting colours of different players do you have to do it in order based on how many players in the map? Or could I have a 4 player map but jump down the list and have one of them be, say, purple despite it not being within the first 4 player colours?

4) Is it allowed here to ask for play testers once I finish my map? I'm quite new to the map maker so I thought it would be useful to get some experienced players to test it, if anyone wanted to...
Last edited by marmot on 12 Dec 2016, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Re: H3 Some Mapmaking Questions

Unread postby cjlee » 12 Dec 2016, 13:06

Visiting hero means whether the hero is in the garrison or standing at the castle doorstep. (Heroes outside, are physically placed by the icon.)

IIRC validate map means they check for obvious mistakes.

It is not just allowed to ask for play testers; it is encouraged. Lots of people in the community are happy to help you. That said, you might find it helpful to just open an experienced mapmaker’s map, then take it apart. You would probably learn more tricks than if you were building a map from the beginning up.

Another trick is to take an already-made multiplayer map which is widely regarded to be fair, and just change the scenario and terrain. That way you can be sure that all the resources and castles are the same number of squares from each other, instead of having to count squares all the time.

marmot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby marmot » 12 Dec 2016, 18:31

Thanks. Is there a way to set a visiting hero to stay at the castle and not move? I want to have a computer player control the visiting hero in their base but I don't want him going anywhere.

Also when customising a hero in the map editor, will it work to use a different portrait than the character that you chose? For example could I choose Yog as a visiting hero but change his portrait to someone else, like Boragus? I see the option is there to chose different portraits but I just wanted to make sure it doesn't cause any glitches or reset to the normal one when you play the map...
Last edited by marmot on 12 Dec 2016, 18:33, edited 3 times in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Dec 2016, 20:15

2) I recall an option that check for mistakes, so like cjlee states, that is like it. If you have one a portal entrance, but no exit, the grail is placed, but no obelisks - stuff like that- it's listed there. Can't remember if it can check for blocked entrances, but a nice feature in that old editor.

3) that shouldn't be a problem.

You can contact the CH staff maps(a)celestialheavens.com regarding map testing. The test section is under reconstruction (still), but the staff can help you with that.

You should be able to edit portraits and names (it's been ages since I used the H3 editor). I don't remember if heroes skill can be chosen or if it's coded to each hero. Most likely the last.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 12 Dec 2016, 22:33

Portrait, Biography, Primary and Secondary Skills can be completely customized. As well you can take care about global spells and skills.

What can't be customized is hero specialization.

Colors are up to you, actually the order is kept but that's the only limitation.

Sure, we have map testing section - ie forum, temporarily. Until new one.
Last edited by Pol on 12 Dec 2016, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

marmot
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby marmot » 13 Dec 2016, 10:20

That's great, thanks for the answers guys! Just trying to figure out how to keep a visiting hero from going anywhere on the map and I should be ok. :)

Verdadero_Foe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Verdadero_Foe » 17 Jan 2017, 21:55

The topic is a little old, but for your question, you need to add a visiting hero, then on patrol, select "stand still".

Patrol limits the area where an AI hero can move. You put an AI hero in a center of a "circumference" and the radius is the radius of that circumerence. He can't move outside the circumference border.

Hope it helps.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”