Might and Magic VI XMAS16 Mod

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic VI XMAS16 Mod

Unread postby mg979 » 21 Nov 2016, 01:11

Updated to 1.5: better and more NPCs, restored old weapon values (with some tweaks), restored loot tables for monsters (100% vanilla now), many small improvements in item graphics, fixed double-wielding graphics for daggers and swords, easier installation, added vanilla-friendly settings and made most stuff optional, more reasonable class/skills tweaks, a couple of NPC profession tweaks, and more.

Started recently to play MM6, but I saw there weren't downloadable mods for the vanilla game, except a mod called "Suicide Squad" by koval321. This mod contains many upgraded graphics that look definitely better than the originals, but also some that I didn't like much. But the thing that made me abandon the idea of using it in my game was the extensive changes that he made to the original gameplay(circus in all taverns, double damage for all weapons bows included, altered resistances for monsters, etc) and I didn't want to stray too far away vanilla gameplay. Still, there were some concepts I liked a lot (javelins instead of spears) and I wanted to play with the new weapon graphics. So I started to make this mod, borrowing many graphics from koval321's mod and adding some of my own.

While making the mod, I wished I could restrict some equipment (helms, boots etc) for classes, and finally I found a way to achieve that too. So it became a gameplay mod, not only about graphics.

You need MMArchive, GrayFace Patch 2.0, and MMExtension if you plan to use the altered skills and tables.

You need MMArchive only for the sound files.
Read the readme in each folder of the mod you want to install. It's much easier than in previous version.

Download link: http://bit.ly/MM6-XMAS16-1-5

(An Excel sheet where you can test stuff is included)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

These are the changes (all optional and can be combined):

- IMPROVED GRAPHICS: for many weapons and for some armors. Many taken from koval321's Suicide Squad mod, often edited, others made by me.

- Artifacts and relics have their own individual graphics, except some (armors and capes) for which this couldn't be done for engine limitations.

- NEW NPC GRAPHICS: I respected the role of the NPC while assigning new pictures, though the ones that you can hire in the streets still have random pictures. Taken from koval321'mod, DeviantArt drawings, game avatars and portraits from various sources (see credits). Sample(not updated): http://i.imgur.com/5pcTC3o.jpg

- NEW FREELOOK CURSOR: it replaces the MM6Patch cursor

- New sound for start/end of battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duo_yAWbW78

In vanilla game all classes can wear all kinds of boots/helms etc. This had the consequence that after all bonuses from gear and enchantments, the armor class of a sorcerer wasn't much lower than the one of a knight. Now not anymore!

Leather users will be restricted to hats, crowns, and the lowest(not enchantable) helms/gauntlets/boots. Chain users will have more choices (usually the tier 3 enchantable gear), and the highest quality is only for plate users. This is achieved by tagging the items as using leather/chain/plate skill.

There was a problem though: if for example you wear chain armor + chain helm/boots/gauntlets, you get 4x your skill as bonus! I countered this by lowering the base gain to almost zero. This means that if you want to see some gain from using those items you should have some points in the skill already, otherwise you'd get better protection with leather gear (except armor).

Leather gear doesn't use the leather skill and can be worn by anyone (except armor).

Changes in 1.5: lowered bonus for cloaks, leather gets bonus only from armor (1x skill), overall lower armor bonus (compared to vanilla, you'll need about 10 skill to get even with chain or plate, you'll never get even with leather no matter what)

In conclusion:

- overall gear progression follows this scheme: L1 leather, L2 chain, L3 plate, L4 chain, L5 plate. There's an extra L2 plate helm, and some surprises among the artifacts.
- leather is much weaker, so druids and sorcerers have to be careful.
- chain and plate gear can be better (at skill >10) but require proper training, you can't just wear top gear to see massive bonus.
- belts and cloaks give a minor bonus(1-5)

- Javelins: ranged, they replace spears and can be equipped instead of bows. They are a bit weaker than bows, they can't double shoot, but they receive the armor bonus for expertise in spears (you can get +8 if you have a halberd/trident equipped for melee).

- Throwing Daggers: ranged, they replace long daggers. Same remarks made for javelins (except the armor bonus).

- Staff Slings (optional files with weapon restrictions): replace broadswords, use staff proficiency, and are meant to give clerics/druids a ranged weapon.

Since spear and dagger skills weren't meant for ranged combat, raising the skill won't increase ranged accuracy, only melee. I don't know if you can have 3x damage with throwing daggers, but I doubt it. They're meant as extra/early weapons, unless you use the optional tables that restrict class skills (especially bows), in this case they become important for classes that can't use a bow.

Optional. You can choose from:

Normal monsters: +10% HP or +25% HP.
Enhanced monsters (extra ranged/melee attacks/spells): normal, +10% HP, +25% HP.

All optional and can be combined.

Altered weapon skills:
- Bow can be only learned by Knight, Archer and Paladin
- Druids can learn spears (and use javelins, tridents and halberds)
- Clerics can use staff slings, while sorcerers throwing daggers

Altered magic skills:
- Paladins can only learn Spirit
- Archers can only learn Fire
- Druids can't learn Spirit nor Mind
- Clerics can't learn Dark
- Sorcerers can't learn Light nor Earth, but can learn Mind

Altered HP/SP progression
- Paladins have slightly more HPs, but less SPs.
- Archers have slightly more SPs.
- Sorcerers have less HPs, but more SPs.
- Druids have less HPs.
- Clerics and Knights are unchanged (only base values slightly).

Read the specific readme for more details.

Halberds and hammers are two-handed only.
Two handed weapons have generally better chance to hit than one handed ones, that are sometimes less powerful than in vanilla (especially 1-H swords and daggers, that can be double-wielded, doubling both damage and bonus to hit).
Ranged weapons do slightly less damage (the cheapest weapons at least).

koval321 for the graphics contained Suicide Squad mod
Several Baldur's Gate mods for some of the new NPC faces, as well as avatars from various games
Last edited by mg979 on 04 Jul 2018, 10:38, edited 25 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic VI XMAS16 Mod

Unread postby Echo » 21 Nov 2016, 01:53

I won't have time to play MM anytime soon, but I thought I'd drop by and leave a word of encouragement, cause it's awesome that people are still modding these games. Perhaps in the future I'll grab your mod for some freshness in muh game :)

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 21 Nov 2016, 02:01

Thanks for the encouragement, I accidentally pressed 'submit' when I didn't have the post ready

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 21 Nov 2016, 12:15

Sometimes it's better to do it and then keep editing adding stuff with posts this big on a forum this calm and spam-free.You never know when you missclick and close the window or commit similar scubbery losing all the text [been there, done that, learned my lesson] :p

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 21 Nov 2016, 19:58

Yes better than losing everything, writing readmes isn't very exciting to begin with at least for me :)

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 22 Nov 2016, 09:04

Updated to 1.0b: revised a bit the HP/SP progression table, closer to vanilla(more balanced now). You don't need to start a new game.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 01 Dec 2016, 20:17

my game keeps crashing and i get this error message last time: .
..3DO\Might and magic vi- xmas mod/Scripts/Core/events.lua:653: array index (-10399.045620438) out of bounds [0, 198]

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1336: in function '__index'
...3DO\Might and magic vi- xmas mod/Scripts/Core/events.lua:653: in function 'GetMonster'
...3DO\Might and magic vi- xmas mod/Scripts/Core/events.lua:755: in function 'f'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1998: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1996>
[C]: in function 'pcall'
Scripts/Core/Common.lua:103: in function 'pcall2'
Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1641: in function <Scripts/Core/RSMem.lua:1639>

arguments of 'GetMonster':
p = 3

local variables of 'GetMonster':
i = -10399.045620438
(*temporary) = -10399.045620438
(*temporary) = (table: 0x0909d838)
(*temporary) = 2.5869414463433e-296
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 01 Dec 2016, 21:14

the beavers1 wrote:my game keeps crashing and i get this error message last time: .
..3DO\Might and magic vi- xmas mod/Scripts/Core/events.lua:653: array index (-10399.045620438) out of bounds [0, 198]
It should be this one https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 40#p366298

You should use the MMExtension version that is found in the following post by GrayFace, it fixes the bug

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 05 Dec 2016, 15:24

Updated to 1.5

Reworked most of the mod and made most stuff optional, better and more NPCs, restored old weapon values (with some tweaks), restored loot tables for monsters (100% vanilla now), many small improvements in item graphics, fixed double-wielding graphics for daggers and swords, easier installation, added vanilla-friendly settings, more reasonable class/skills tweaks, a couple of NPC profession tweaks, and more.

A new game is recommended unless you use vanilla settings.
Last edited by mg979 on 05 Dec 2016, 15:29, edited 3 times in total.

menoking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby menoking » 28 Apr 2018, 06:49

Hi, the old link is dead (gives 404), can someone please update the download link? Thank you very much.

mg979
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mg979 » 04 Jul 2018, 10:43

Updated dead link

IRS-7
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby IRS-7 » 30 Aug 2018, 17:43

Now the mod is available on the website mmgames.ru with the permission of the author. Russian version is also available. Thank you, mg979 :)
http://mmgames.ru/index.php?option=com_ ... 64&lang=en

Milky1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Milky1988 » 12 Jan 2019, 01:05

This looks quite interesting!

Question;

Energy damage - is it actually a separate damage type in the game or is it simply physical damage that ignores AC?

My dream is for someone to implement Energy damage as a usable damage type for players in the game, so when you hit with weapons with energy damage, it shows the animation like blasters etc. That would be so amazing...

I would pay for this!!

Return to “Might and Magic”