How to copy/paste map contents?

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

How to copy/paste map contents?

Unread postby Artas1984 » 14 Sep 2016, 19:10

Is there a way to copy the whole content of the map into a new empty one?

Meaning, are there any programs that can do this?
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

jeff

Re: How to copy/paste map contents?

Unread postby jeff » 14 Sep 2016, 20:21

Please specify which Heroes you are asking about.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Namerutan
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Namerutan » 15 Sep 2016, 01:21

Save the map with a different name? or maybe you mean to opy into a bigger map?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 21 Sep 2016, 10:07

A function which you seek is being worked for H4. Search for the H4MG and you can read more about it (not easy to post link from my phone).
Not sure about other versions of Heroes games.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 01 Oct 2016, 23:50

By the OP's signature it seems the topic is H3.

Anyway, for grins I'll explain what I did in H5 for another person's needs at the time.

I Opened the map in 7Zip and copied the Map.xdb into Downloads. Then I created a new empty larger map and replaced the new .xdb with the copied one from my smaller finished map. However, because every placed-object has a location identified as an XY coordinate, the old objects for above and below ground went to the same XYs of course. Doing this means however larger the new map, the additional cells extend on the X and Y axis meaning the new land is all to the East-X and North-Y. Depending on intent this might not matter but if you wanted new land put evenly around all of the old map's objects you would need some sort of program that would have the cell-size differences between map sizes (no matter the jump in size) and then on-transfer would add "half" the new cells added to the X and Y axis' of all existing objects. That would then place the old data in the center of the new map. I'm no programmer so I could not pursue this idea.

Instead, I copy and pasted sections to the new locations a group at a time. I will never do that again without being paid a heck of a lot of cashola.<LOL>

cheers all

Edit= I forgot one fun thing about doing this with a virgin underground...it makes a Dwarf out of you because you have to clear the rock away from all the objects. :wall:

Also, of course this transfer did not transfer my hours of work on terrain-elevation...so all that had to be recreated.
Last edited by markkur on 01 Oct 2016, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Artas1984
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Artas1984 » 13 Oct 2016, 09:27

Heroes 3.

Here is the problem: one of my own created maps "Tatalian Inside Wars" was meant for 8 vs 8 multi player. I made play-ability human and was sure that i could choose this map in the map list, but the map would not appear. For some reason i can not choose this map if i create a TCP/IP server. It is only visible in single player map rotation. How can this problem be fixed?

I thought about creating an empty XL map that works in multi player, and then just copy the contents of the broken map to it...

There is not a program that can do it?
Last edited by Artas1984 on 13 Oct 2016, 09:30, edited 3 times in total.
Heroes franchise was not about the free actions of Heroes or monsters, it was not about 3D of shiny graphics either, it was about diversity and balance, simplicity of gameplay and realistic picture, strategy in it's purest form. That's why Heroes 3 will be the greatest game of all, because only Heroes 3 has all those qualities together, no matter which one you personally like more. This statement is unquestionable, uncriticized and undeniable .

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”