Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Re: Heroes 4 HD mod - Artists needed

Unread postby Erwinner » 16 Aug 2016, 22:49

lol come on I'm not out to give anyone hard time mate, (except Erwin), just to make you aware, that some people prefer most authentic version possible lol

you would be missing continents anyway though if you want all continents, Axeoth has many more continents in the world doesn't it, isn't there Might and Magic 9 Rysh continent, and continent from the Might and Magic Book, and the continent of Legends Might and Magic, and there are no maps of most of those lol

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 17 Aug 2016, 08:31

I'm just teasing you Erwinner, with a reference to Marzhin's spaceship intro in Unity (fan fiction). But I also know why you gave him a hard time)).
Personally I'm not familiar with the other titles (other than by name), so I can't say how many continents there are on Axeoth.
But I'm with you on the point, that starting to guess the sizes and shapes of other continents, with the risk of still missing some, would still leave an incomplete world map. But you could argue it's less relevant in H4 context, and just leave it to those continents covered in that game.
Another issue, from the artistic point if view, would be the more continents to cover, the less room for details.
So I think we should just leave it with Iranese, close that part of the discussion and focus on what people would like to see in terms of details and their proper placement.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 18 Aug 2016, 09:41

Karmakeld wrote:To put it in other words, you're 51% for Erwinner (and others) giving you and the Equilibris team a hard time :tired: you're a brave man, Dalai ;)
Oh, come on! If he lived where I live, old ladies chilling near apartment blocks would point fingers at him and say "Now THAT is a nice guy!" :D
Karmakeld wrote:Another issue, from the artistic point if view, would be the more continents to cover, the less room for details.
So I think we should just leave it with Iranese, close that part of the discussion and focus on what people would like to see in terms of details and their proper placement.
This is a very good point. So it's decided :)
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 18 Aug 2016, 11:27

Dalai wrote:
Karmakeld wrote:To put it in other words, you're 51% for Erwinner (and others) giving you and the Equilibris team a hard time :tired: you're a brave man, Dalai ;)
Oh, come on! If he lived where I live, old ladies chilling near apartment blocks would point fingers at him and say "Now THAT is a nice guy!" :D
do you mean like when I interned door-to-door, Mrs. Macrae ran out brandishing her rolling pin shouting for me "to get the **** ****** ** off her private property if I ever see you again I'll shove a **** ********** **** up ****," that sure cured her crippling arthritis,

maybe she was grateful for that, well in the sales dept they used to say the bullies only bully you if they fancy you anyway, don't know if that has implications for me and the line manager or Erwin and Heroes or what but ignorance might be bliss lol

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 18 Aug 2016, 11:44

Erwinner wrote:do you mean like when I interned door-to-door, Mrs. Macrae ran out brandishing her rolling pin shouting for me "to get the **** ****** ** off her private property if I ever see you again I'll shove a **** ********** **** up ****," that sure cured her crippling arthritis, maybe she was grateful for that, well in the sales dept they used to say the bullies only bully you if they fancy you anyway, don't know if that has implications for me and the line manager or Erwin and Heroes or what but ignorance might be bliss lol
Something like that, sure :D Private property issues here are a little bit more... relaxed. Rolling pin may be substituted by pipe wrench or even occasional baseball bat. Surprisingly, I have never seen a a baseball glove or a baseball itself somewhere near baseball bat. Those fan movements are so confusing sometimes! :D But there are still plenty of situations when you can witness divine recovery :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Sep 2016, 08:06

Dalai, did you intend to upload the townscreens and other screens that need to be resized for the HD mod??

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 14 Sep 2016, 11:38

Yes, I did. Thanks for reminder.

Update. Here they are:

Nature, Life, Order, Death, Chaos, Might

Instuctions:

In every folder, except layers.town.FACTION.layout.df2, you have to redraw background.tga file (original resolution 1280х825) for the following resolutions:
- 1920х870 - for resolution ratio 16:9;
- 1920х963 - for resolution ratio 16:10.

File foreground *.tga does not need to be altered.

Minimum goal - add background.

Alternative goals (please discuss before doing, no guarantees of implementation here):

1. Draw you own town background picture of specified size. In that case you have to put town objects from layers.town.FACTION.layout.df2 on the picture and mark positions of top left corner of each object.

2. Same as before, but with own town objects instead of those in layers.town.FACTION.layout.df2 folder.

For both options, town objects should not change their location if player changes his screen resolution. It means that if you placed, for example, City Hall in top right corner of town screen, it should be there for all resolutions.
Last edited by Dalai on 14 Sep 2016, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 06 Nov 2016, 19:50

Have anyone started one this project?

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 06 Nov 2016, 21:35

Not that I know of. :|

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 07 Nov 2016, 14:09

I was hoping J. M. Sower would have started. I'll have a look at the Death town. Can't promise anything, but I'll see if I can contribute.. It's quite alot of screens in total, so I'm hoping someone else voluntiers.

edit:
Just a thought. Wouldn't it be possible to just enlarge the pics and then cut the edges to fit? I don't think you lose that much resolution by doing so.
I've just spend the last few hours trying to expand the dirt screen of the death town. It's quite a job having to do so with 48 screens.

2nd edit: and the final result (it took me quite a few hours, and I think I'll might cut some corners if I'm to work on others) Image
I think it turned out okay, given it was made with a lot of copying and pasting. Size is 1920x870.
Is it usable?? (like Dalai wrote, just drag them to a browser window to view in 100% size)

Compare it to the original 1279x825 here:
Last edited by Karmakeld on 08 Nov 2016, 22:27, edited 4 times in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 18 Jan 2017, 00:18

So I started out and didn't do much for a while, but I've picked up working on the town screens for the HD mod, these past days. I've changed the above a bit. At first it was quite a slow process expanding the pics, but I've found a truly powerful tool, which should speed up the process significantly, so I'll try to keep them coming.

Death Town - Dirt.

Death Town - Subterrain.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 22 Jan 2017, 13:53

Death town - vulcanic

and Death town - Grass:

update:
Death town - Rough terrain:

and todays update is Death town - Sand:

just Snow and Swamp to go, and Death is done for..
Last edited by Karmakeld on 25 Jan 2017, 22:31, edited 4 times in total.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 26 Jan 2017, 21:58

This is awesome! We will integrate it into development version ASAP. :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 28 Jan 2017, 08:57

Thank you. Looking forward to seeing some screen shots of them used in game :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 07 Feb 2017, 11:17

And the last 2 Death Town screens. Snow and Swamp.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 08 Feb 2017, 00:24

Might Town - dirt (UPDATED):
Might Town - Grass:
Image (UPDATED :up: )
Might Town - Rough:
Might Town - Sand (UPDATED):
If I can keep up this speed, I think Might town just MIGHT become the fastest town - sorry, the joke was just too obvious :devious:
Last edited by Karmakeld on 11 Feb 2017, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 08 Feb 2017, 00:40

Awesome! Thanks!
Karmakeld wrote:sorry, the joke was just too obvious :devious:
Pun intended :D

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 10 Feb 2017, 18:34

hehe, no denying that :D I guess I should have wrapped the Death Town screens with the words, that Death has come to an END ;)
I noticed some minor mistakes in some of the Might screens. Sand + Grass and some of the clouds on the Dirt screen bothers me a bit, compared to the original, so I'll update those (I'll mark them clearly, so you won't be in doubt).

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 11 Feb 2017, 20:46

Might - Snow:

Might - Swamp:

and finally Might - Volcanic:

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Feb 2017, 22:10

Yesterdays work, completed all of the Chaos town screens.. :-D

Dirt:

Grass:

Rough:

Sand:

Snow:

Subterrain:

Swamp:

Volcanic:

Return to “News”