H7 1.5 Announced

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: H7 1.5 Announced

Unread postby Karmakeld » 21 Apr 2016, 21:36

Well personally I've always felt good things are worth waiting for, but I acknowledge that's not how the world works today. The biggest difference between a broken game and a broken car, is that it's more common to return the car, than it is to return the game. As you said, the price matters more. But Blizzard is indeed the example of a game company that will keep their fans waiting, till the product is properly done, and the fans do wait. I do acknowledge the tough competition, but in the long run, I do believe it pays off to take the extra time to finish your product. Just look at how many fans have so little hope of the future of the Might and Magic franchise based on the latest releases. It's like cutting the branch you sit on.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Apr 2016, 01:03

You can return a game, too. Blizzard isn't the ideal example, for me. Companies can't sustain a project for so long unless they have another source of financing. For Blizzard that is WoW. There's not a similar thing going for the MM brand. On the other hand, I don't want to wait 5-10 years for another installment, which seems to be the modus operandi of Blizzard. It's one thing to wait and another thing to wait a tenth of your life expectancy! :)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 22 Apr 2016, 08:16

Well in my country, you normally can't return a game or similar product that has been opened or used, unless it's broken or important parts are missing, and how do you show the store the game is broken. You could claim it's buggy, and unable to complete, but what's to prevent them from saying, that is to be expected, it's a complex game. Wait a few months, and it'll likely be patched. My point is, I doubt most players return their games. I agree with the Blizzard time line, but we've passed the first six months since release, and going towards a year in the fall, I still think having waited those 6 months to a year would've been better for H7. Also regarding having to wait 5-10 years, we waited the same approx. 10 years from the announcement of The Hobbit being made as a film, till it was actually made and released. The years went by, and in the meantime I follow CJLee's example, and did other stuff :)
Besides it's not like Ubisoft don't have other products adding financial means, other than MM serie ;) That's a matter of priority and setting a proper budget.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 22 Apr 2016, 11:06

What country is that? I'm asking because both the States and the EU have laws that allow you to do that. You can return any product even if it's not broken, if you are not satisfied with it, usually within 30 days (or more or less, depending on the product), unless of course it's something not reusable.

Of course Ubisoft has more products but if they are of different IPs I doubt they would use them as backing for another IP. Even from a non-marketing financial point of view it's not wise to do that. That's exactly what 3DO tried to do with their other IPs, using the MM IP as backing. We all know how this went.

Return to “News”