Unclear about magic resistance

Official forum of the Equilibris mod to Heroes of Might and Magic IV (Russian forum)
smithyed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unclear about magic resistance

Unread postby smithyed » 14 Feb 2016, 08:07

Recently in a battle I had a hero who had a shield that offered Order Ward, a Robe of the guardian, a potion of immortality (granting Guardian Angel) and GM Magic resistance. The enemy spellcaster casted Steal All Enchantments. The spell penetrated my GM Resistance, took the Order Ward and Guardian Angel, but left behind the Robe of the Guardian enchantment.

My question is, what does Magic Resistance protect a hero from? Why did the steal enchantment take the Order Ward (granted by a shield) and the Guardian Angel from the potion, but leave the immunity to first 3 attacks (granted by the Robe of Guardian)?

Thank you!

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Unclear about magic resistance

Unread postby Baronus » 14 Feb 2016, 11:07

In Equilibris you have percent of resistance in statistics.
65% is a chance that spell dont work and 35% that work. Or 65% of 100 damage it is only 35% damages.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 14 Feb 2016, 11:32

Either the Robe of the Guardian effect cannot be stolen or transferred, or the other possibility is that for each enchantment a resistance roll is made and only if it fails is that enchantment stolen.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Feb 2016, 12:37

Magic Resistance protects your hero from harmful spells, or direct damage as Baronus displays with his example. But it's interesting that some artifacts can be stolen, while others can't. But my guess is that Order Ward and Guardian Angel are considered spells (both can be cast as a spell), while the Robe of the Guardian offers an enchantment which doesn't appear as a spell, which is why that wasn't stolen by Steal All Enchantments. That's my theory.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

smithyed
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby smithyed » 15 Feb 2016, 06:38

Thank you for all of the responses!

Robe of the Guardian does appear as a beneficial spell (under the Cup). Which lead me to dig deeper...

I downloaded some mod tools and extracted a file called table.Spells.txt and came to the conclusion that Direct Damage spells are impacted by the Resistance skill (or item ability). There is a column in that file labeled 'Resisted'. Evidently spells that are not DD can be resisted if they have an 'x' in the Resisted column. For example, Confusion, Misfortune and Cloud of Confusion are marked as 'resistable', while other spells such as Mass Cancellation, Mass Dispel, and Steal all Enchantments are not marked with an 'x' in the Resisted column ( which appears to match what happens in the game ). Interestingly, Robe of the Guardian is also listed as a spell in this table. So why does Robe of the Guardian not get stolen by Steal all Enchantments? My best guess is the column labeled 'Teachable'. Almost all of the spells in this document have an 'x' in the 'Teachable' column, Robe of the Guardian does not.

I'm not sure this the answer but at this point its my best guess.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 15 Feb 2016, 21:44

I think it is. My best guess of finding out, was extracting the files to look deeper, just figured it might be a bit complicated :)

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 16 Feb 2016, 13:12

Does it get removed by Cancellation or Dispel?
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 16 Feb 2016, 16:06

Not likely, but you could easily test it ;)

Return to “Equilibris”