Ideas of how to set up strategic battles

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Ideas of how to set up strategic battles

Unread postby Karmakeld » 20 Jan 2016, 18:50

I'm in need of some inspiration.
I'm quite inspired by the newer Heroes games, where you have the option to set up special condition for certain battles. That ain't possible in H4, but why should that be a limitation :D
What I'm hoping is that some of you, have some nice ideas for combo's/set ups that could require certain strategies to beat the opponent.
Now there could be a lot of factors which could have different influences, but I'm looking for some basic ideas.
Some examples:

- Your hero fight x numbers of ranged creature. In order to survive long enough to reach the ranged creature(s), you'll need to cast Smoke/Blur spell/potion.
- High level Demonologist who can summon a high number of Venom Spawns each turn. In 3-4 turn, enough Spawns has been summoned, to make it impossible to win.
- X numbers of heroes with GM Melee, Sword of Swiftness and Cat Reflexes = 4 attacks pr. hero.
- A mix of Nightmares and Efreets. Nightmare will Paralyze you, allowing Efreets to reach you in 2 turns. Your hero's amount of dmg dealt, is enough for the Fire Shield to make you kill yourself.

So basically it can be anything from creature combos where abilities support eachother in cool ways, to mix of skills, spells and artifacts.
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Re: Ideas of how to set up strategic battles

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 20 Jan 2016, 22:31

Hmm, hydra + teleport maybe? I'm sure plenty of other players know some good combos they can chime in with. I'll have to think more :D

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 21 Jan 2016, 16:13

Maybe:

* Defeat fast walking unit with hero with "super slow" (slow, fatigue, summon ghost, poison, plague).

* Defeat stack of evil eyes and medusas with heroes (who have limited count of PoI).

* Defeat stack of megadragons while you have several different units.

* Defeat stack of 50 wolves with 25 wolves (it's possible).

* Defend castle against legion of walking units with slow, fatigue, quicksand, summon leprechauns.

Actually, every tough fight where you have units and spells to choose from will be "strategic".

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 21 Jan 2016, 22:07

Hi Karmakeld,

Firstly, what do you want exacly. Idea for battle with a single hero alone? ...... or single hero with creature? What will be the level of this/these hero(es) and what spell he/they will have? If your hero is GM magic resistance, it's different too...

I have some fun ideas, but it depend on many things.

I will give some ideas, but if you tell more info, I could probably give you better ideas.

1- Multiple combat (using a quest building): you fight a troop of creatures, if you win, you need to fight an other troop, if you win you need to fight an other troop... You need to put an easyer combat first and if the player use too many spell (mana) during this fight, he has less mana for the next combat (you can remove potion of mana too). Don't use the Waspwort creature, there's a bug with this creature when using quest building).

2- A troop of 3 heroes (+creatures), each hero has only 2 spell: Guardian Angel and Ressurection. I really like this combo for the computer's heroes. You kill 2 heroes, then the remaining one cast Ressurection, then guardian Angel and you got a new fight. With robe of the guardian, it's really fun. Sometime, you need to fight (and stay alive) until they have no more mana to cast Ressurection.

3- A troop of computer's hero equip with Robe of the guardian and using only 1 (or 2) spell: hypnotize (+ resurrection).... If your hero has GM magic resistance, you can use Archmage's set on the computer’s hero and he will be able to take control of your hero (ignore magic resistance). You can put a script to remove any artifact when you win the fight.

4- A troop of Evil Sorceress (mass cancellation to remove immortality potion) with a speed bonus and some ranged creatures or devil.

5- A combat for only 1 hero alone (no creatures). Remove creatures in the opposing troop and give it to your hero on encounter script according to a skill level. For exemple: Diplomacy
Basic = take 10% of creatures of the opposing troop, Advance 20% ..... GM 50%
Put the encounter script on the computer’s troop. For exemple: a computer’s troop with 500 Black Dragon: If Diplomacy Skill mastery of hero in opposing army = 1 (Advanced), take 100 Black Dragon from this army and Give 100 Black dragon to opposing army. So if you are GM Diplomacy, you will fight a troop of 250 Black Dragon (+some other creature and hero) with 250 Black Dragon.

6- Give a powerfull Scroll (and maybe a robe of the guardian)to your hero with a computer’s troop encounter script. For exemple: Give a scroll of Hypnotize to opposing hero (your hero). This is fun because you can do a combat with a powerfull spell without giving this spell for the rest of the game. But there is few little things you need to think about if you want to do this: There is a bug with Scroll and Parchment. You can’t remove a specific Scroll or Parchment. If you put a script like this: Take Scroll of Hypnotize (when the computer’s troop is defeat), but your hero has a Scroll of Bless in his backpack, the script will remove the scroll of Bless instead of the Scroll of Hypnotize (Always remove the scroll in the backpack first). H4 don’t look at the specific scroll, it looks only at “Do you have a scroll, yes, take any scroll, starting with the one in you backpack)”. If you want to be sure to remove this scroll at the end of the combat, you need to be sure the hero has no other scroll (pass a gate before with a quest requirement = NOT(has scroll of XXX, XXX is any scroll). That way, you know that the player has no scroll on his troop. Then, you need to be sure that the player will not surrender/retreat to keep the scroll (overpassing the gate requirement). You can put a quest building to take the scroll (the only scroll you should have in this small territory) after the battle to open a gate or a new territory. If you surrender/retreat, you will have the scroll, but you can’t complete this quest anymore, so you lose (game over). So, Put a gate with requirement (no scroll), give the scroll to opposing army (if it has no scroll already) on encounter script and put a quest building to give back the scroll. You should display a message to tell the player to have no artifact in there left hand on encounter, otherwise, they will not be able to use the scroll during combat. One other way to prevent the player to keep the scroll with surrender is to put a triggerable event script on your HERO (Take scroll of XXX) and put a “trigger custom event” on the victorious script of the computer’s troop (but you need to be sure that this HERO will do the combat).

If you only put a victorious script on the computer’s troop (Take scroll of XXX on opposing troop), it will not work because when you surrender/retreat, the victorious script trig after you are at your castle, so there is no opposing troop anymore for the computer, so you will keep the scroll.

7- A troop with creatures and heroes with Anti-Magic spell. This can be really fun. Mantis or Devil with anti-magic can be a challenge to fight.

8- Put few neutral troop (with rock over them to prevent them to fight) around a computer’s troop and then remove the rock, change owner of these neutral troops on encounter (if opposing troop is computer) so you get control of them to fight the computer. The objective is to use these neutral troops to deal as much damage as possible before you fight the computer’s troop with your hero. Don’t forget to prevent surrender because a player could pay to bring back creatures to his castle and have there control forever (the best way is to remove all your gold on encounter script and give it back at the end of each combat, victorious or defeat. You can use 2 triggerable custom events on the map layer, not on the neutral troop).

Take_gold
If gold of red player >= 5000, take 5000 gold, set v_gold_red to v_gold_red + 1, then trig Take_gold

Give_gold
If v_gold_red > 0, give 5000 gold, set v_gold_red to v_gold_red – 1, then trig Give_gold.

On the encounter script of the neutral:
If opposing troop is computer, change owner to red
Trig Take_gold

On Victorious script of the neutral:
Change owner to no player
Trig Give_gold

On Defeat script of the neutral:
Trig Give_gold

I think that this is really fun to play with some kamikaze neutral troop.

Some more info about combat:

The computer never use quicksand or teleport spell.
Archmage set (ignore magic resistance) don’t work vs Anti-Magic spell.
You can prevent a hero from resurrection if you put a creature on his dead body.

PatFX

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 21 Jan 2016, 23:12

PatFx, I will answer you first and read afterward (it's a long post ;)).

It's ideas for my campaign, but basically it could be a single hero, 2-3 heroes no creatures, 1 hero with creatures, undefined set-up etc.
I avoided to tell about players set up as different heroes are available as well as skills and spells, but if it'll make it easier I can give some examples of possible builds.
But I will be able to use most in different places in different maps.
I seek to accomplish a more direct set-up/need of certain strategic way to win the specific battle. Like avoid direct encounter, focus on killing enemy hero in x turns, stay alive ling enough to buff your hero to withstand the battle, relaying heavily on buffs.. Stuff like that.
It would be nice if you could sum up, the intended challenge with suggested setups.
Like; you need to kill certain AI hero in x turns, or they'll summon tons of creatures, impossible to defeat.

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 22 Jan 2016, 18:34

Hi Karmakeld,

I can sum up all my idea with this: kill the opposing troop or you are dead....lol..... All my idea was to get more challenge in a standard combat setup. I will try to explain a little bit more:

#1 in last post- Multiple combat (using a quest building): With a quest building, you can put a sequence of combat (lets say 4 consecutive combat without interruption, if the opposing troop is defeat, do the next combat.....until 4 combat are done). Before you start the fight, you lose all your potion of mana. Now, let say you need to fight with only 1 hero (a Demonologiste for exemple). The first fight, you face 50 griffin and 100 air elemental. You can summon 50 Devil, but for the second fight, you will have less mana..... Maybe you should try to do the first fight without using too much mana.... The challenge here is to win 4 consecutive combat with a restricted amount of mana. To prevent a wise player of taking a lot of potion of mana before he start the combat, you can Decrease current spell point of the hero by 99 (several time), then increase current spell point by 99 (if the maximum spell point of the hero is 60, it will give only 60 point of mana = maximum of mana for the level of this hero).

You can do the same thing (4 consecutive combat)with 1 peasant: Use 1 peasant to go to a quest building: When you click on the quest building, you receive 5 mantis and 5 angel and you fight 8 Black Dragon. If you win, you start a second fight and receive 5 behemoth.......

You can put 5 quest building in a small teritory where you can only go with 1 peasant (gate requirement). Each quest building has 4 consecutive combat. During each combat, you receive few creatures. Let say you start with building#1: you finish all the 4 combat with 3 Mantis, 2 Angel and 3 Behemoth. You can then start building#2, but maybe it's better to do building#4 because you will get evil sorcerress that will be really usefull for combats in building#2 (mass slow). In this exemple, you need to choose the order to do building and the creatures to save during combat (and how to use creatures).

You can do an entire territory with this idea (at the beggining of a campain) and increase each combat level difficulty using a variable, then when it become impossible to do more fight, move out of this territory and give creatures and artifact you get (by winning several combat) to your main hero. So you need to choose between let say 10 building (you can do only 6 before it become impossible). Every building gives different creatures and artifact. You will then start the campain with a different troop/equipment according to the buildings you did.

#2- Guardian Angel and Ressurection spell: this is only an exemple of spell combo that is cool for computer when you fight a troop with 3 heroes.

#3- Hypnotyze and Archamge set: this is only a combo for computer that is cool if you have a hero GM magic resistance.

#4- Evil sorceress and Ranged creatures: this is only a creature combo that is sometime a real pain. The evil sorceress cast Mass cancellation at the beginning, so you lose your immortality potion. The range creatures can kill your hero.

#5- You need to get GM Diplomacy (in x turn) before you do a fight. For exemple, an opposing troop (in a territory that only 1 hero can access, gate requirement) start with 500 Black Dragon. At the beggining of month#3, the troop get 50 Black Dragon every week. You have 2 month to get GM Diplomacy and then fight the troop (you will get 250 Black Dragon and fight 250 Black Dragon). If you wait 3 month, you will get 250 Black Dragon, but you will fight 450 Black Dragon..... This idea is to get a certain skill in a number of turn before you do a fight. Each level of the skill will take creature from the opposing troop and give it back to you for the combat.

#6- This idea was to get some fun using a powerfull scroll for a combat. All the explanation in the previous post was to prevent player from cheating (keep the scroll for the rest of the game).

#7- Anti-magic spell: This idea was to give challenge for some combat giving this spell to opposing hero.

#8- This idea is really cool. You need to use neutral creatures to do as much damage as you can before you do the fight with your main troop. If you don't use neutral troop properly, you can't defeat the opposing troop (or it will be very difficult). This is not easy to balance (this need a lot of test), but this is cool. For exemple: Opposing troop with Black Dragon, Cyclop, Behemoth, Evil Sorceress, Evil eyes and a hero: You can try to kill all cyclop with neutral, or kill the hero, or kill all evil sorceress....... You can use different strategy. Sometime (most of the time), killing ALL creatures of 1 type is better than killing a lot of creatures of different type. Some explanation in the previous post was to prevent player from cheating (surrender with the neutral troop).

#9- New (not in the previous post)This is a little bit different: You start the game with 40 000 gold (for exemple). Before you start moving your hero (first turn), you need to buy some items. A message ask you what you want to buy: Exemple: Do you want:
Robe of the guardian for 25 000 gold?
50 000 experience point for 20 000 gold?
Horned Bow for 20 000 gold?
Scarab of Summoning for 15 000 gold?
Flamming Arrow for 15 000 gold?
Scroll of Forgetfulness for 15 000 gold?
Amulet of fear for 5 000 gold?

When you have no more gold, you can start the game.

I had this idea for a map of 4 human players (long time ago.... competitive map, 1v1v1v1, but I did never finish this map unfortunatly, no enought time and experience friends for testing) but you could use something similar for a single player map too. In the 4 player map, each player was starting with 7500 gold/turn and then, each turn (for the first 10-14 turn), each player choose if they want to buy something (with only 1 artifact of each type).

You can pay (buy) to get control of some neutral army too(change owner of neutral troop on encounter if opposing troop is computer). :)

This idea is fun because every game can be really different. For exemple, start the game with "Scarab of summoning, Demonary and Breastplate of Regeneration" OR "Robe of the guardian and Scroll of Forgetfulness" OR "Tiger Armor, Tiger Helm and Frost Hammer" OR "Horned Bow , Flamming Arrow and Ring of Light".....

Idea #1, #5, #8 and #9 are probably more what you are looking for.

I hope this give you some inspiration.

I really like Taro's idea : "Defeat stack of 50 wolves with 25 wolves (it's possible)." This sound cool! I think i will try to test some combat to add to my current map under design (almost finish, but I need 1 more complete test....)!

PatFX

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 23 Jan 2016, 00:02

PatFx, first thx for the extensive explanations. Sure, no need to point out the obvious, but I was looking for a sum of, of wherein the challenge lies or why a given combo is cool (like abilities complementing each other nicely). I will have to comment better to all your suggestions when in front of my pc, and not my phone ;)

I'm familiar with some already (like multiple battle) but the 5 quests is indeed interesting idea.

Taro's defeat 50 wolves with 25 wolves is also a nice idea. The challenge is obvious, but what makes this possible is the Wolves double attack ability. Now this is indeed examples like these I'm looking for. Reasons why a certain combo is challenging. Fighting 500 Black Dragons with an army half the strength is challenging because of army size, while a challenge between two cerberi is challenging because of the No Retaliation ability (I hope you all get my point).
Fighting with 1 bandit vs. 1 bandit, you could rush forward with 50/50 chance of winning, but what if you could increase the odds, by defending? Both bandits will retaliate, but you take less dmg. if defending rather than attacking.

I got a few more examples; x heroes must keep a single barbarian alive against a megadragon. The challenge being, you don't have any control of the berserker.
Or 2 heroes fight a strong AI hero, who can kill either of your heroes in 2 turns with eg. Fireball. You can heal both, and both must survive. AI hero will regenerate something like 3/5 of possible dmg. dealt each turn, by either of the heroes (Derrick, this is your work;).

What I found during my recent play throughs of (fan made) campaigns, is that once a character has certain skills/spell I tend to use the same strategies/ combo's in most battles. I think this is possibly quite general for players to do, but I would like to break that rutine, at least once in a while. Setting up some memorable battles and perhaps force the player to think in new ways.

PatFx #8 is a cool idea. A similar idea, is to have a level 1 Thief who must pass a stack of neutrals, but can't due to a stack of 2 creature in the stack. You could then sacrifice your 1 black dragon, to kill the lvl 2 creatures (the rest won't matter), to be able to sneak past them (credits go to Maciek for this idea).

Another of Maciek's ideas is a Sudden Death match. 7 heroes vs 7 heroes. All have Hand of Death spell. You must distribute x amount of speed point among your heroes. The same is done with opposing heroes. Morale bonus is eliminated, so all depends on who moves first. If you can ensure you have a faster hero for the most of the battle, you can win. Now say you must win 2 or 3 of these Sudden Death matches in a row, with what is left of the 7 starting heroes. It becomes quite a challenge.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 23 Jan 2016, 01:40

Maybe something similar to Maciek's idea: Heroes with the same combat skills (no archery) and damage, and you have damage points to distribute. Maybe make it advanced melee so that strike / retaliation don't occur at the same time?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 23 Jan 2016, 08:50

Good idea. To avoid the dmg gap between min. max dmg having an effect, I think all heroes should be blessed in some way. This would eliminate the option of loading attacks for higher dmg. rolls. But I think you could do this ideas in various ways. Like PatFx also suggested with purchasing artifacts before battle.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 23 Jan 2016, 15:15

The purchasing artifacts type thing will be big in my fourth map. Lots of shops in Steadwick and the tournament is going to have lots of events :D

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 28 Jan 2016, 15:08

Hi guys,

I did some test (with 25 wolves vs 50 wolves in mind, small troop vs bigger troop) and I got a little challenge for you (but I did test this combat without equilibris....):

Open a new map and create 2 troops:

Your troop (order alignement, red player):
6 Genies
2 Ghost

Opposing troop (nature alignement, orange player):
10 Harpies
6 Earth elemental
20 Wolves
30 Squires
7 Efreeti
30 Dwarves
30 Sprites

Try this combat and tell me what do you think about it. I think this is a fun strategic battle.

Good luck!

I'm working on an other similar combat. I will give you some more challenge soon!

PatFX
Last edited by PatFX on 28 Jan 2016, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 28 Jan 2016, 18:50

I'll try this one of the upcoming days. I'll get back when I've tried it out. But it's great that you're coming up with these suggestions, one Q though, the 30 spires is that squires (life alignment)?
Also is it allowed to split the genies and ghosts or not?
I just recently read a post about a H3 map all about strategies. In 1 battle you had x Sharpshooters in stacks of 1 and 1 azure dragon in a Castle vs. 20 Rustdragons in 1 stack. Obviously the number of strategies were quite limited, but the fight is winnable.

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 28 Jan 2016, 21:52

oups..... sorry, you are right: Squires instead of spires (edit).

Yes, you can split, (you should, lol)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 28 Jan 2016, 23:31

Yeah, I assumed I needed to split, but just making sure. If you could do without splitting I would prob. ask how the h... you could do so ;)

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 30 Jan 2016, 17:52

Okay so first few attempts failed, but my guess/strategy is to split the ghost and phantom image the ghosts to use their aging abilty on all opponents but Earth Elementals, as they are unaffected. Then I guess you'll need to phantom image the harpies, as they're basically your best weapon among the available creatures, using a hit and run strategy.
Efreets will def. need to be pacified with Song of Peace. But to take out the 7 Efreets, you'll need Efreets yourself. So I'll need to phantom image them aswell, as they also hit quite hard. With slow I can reduce most of their movement to ridicules and should be able to stay out of reach.
I'll need atleast 3 genies to create an image of 1 efreets with 45/80 hp. But 2-3 efreets should do about as much dmg as 7 of their aged. It's also interesting that most of the stack has just about the same hp as 6 genies combined (cowardice). I'm begining to think this is acutally possible, with just the right strategy and a bit of luck ;) Each of my genies, if split, can cast the same spell (slow, song of peace, phantom image, ice bolt or mirth) 8 times or cowardice 12 times. I'll give it some more tried, but I think that just a few more ghosts/genies can make quite a difference (thinking difficulty settings).
I once had a battle where creature ability also played a big part. I had 6-7 vampired and lost against just 1 Dark Champion.

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 02 Feb 2016, 14:43

This combat is possible, I did it (win) several times.

I don't want to tell you yet my strategy for this fight, but I can tell you few little things:

1- I'm aging 4 creatures with my 2 ghost
2- I did not use cowardice at all
3- Efreet are the last creature that I kill

I did win this battle keeping 4 genies alive, but I think (I will need to try few more times) I could probably win this fight without losing any genies.

The challenge for this fight is killing Efreet(Fire shield). (that's why there is 7 Efreet. 6 Efreet is a lot more easy).

For difficulty setting, You can do something like this:

Begginer: Remove 2 Efreet, 5 Harpie, 10 Squires, 10 Dwarves, 10 Sprites and 1 Earth Ele. (At least 1 genie must survive)
Advance: Remove 2 Efreet, 10 Squires, 10 Sprites and 1 Earth Ele. (At least 1 genie must survive)
Expert: Remove 1 Efreet and 10 Squires (At least 1 genie must survive)
Master: Nothing (At least 1 genie must survive)
GrandMaster: 5 or 6 genies must survive (I will need to test but I'm 90% sure this is possible)

I've got 2 more challenge (strategy battle) for you, but I will need to test it few more time first.

1 Challenge using Dark Champion/Ghost/Imp and an other one using Water Ele./Harpy/Evil Sorceress/Genie/Dark Champion/Ice Demon.

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 02 Feb 2016, 22:01

I did some testing with a new strategic battle. If you want to try, open a new map and create 2 troops:

Your troop:
1 Devils
12 Mantis
(you can split if you want)

Opposing troop (nature alignement......I Know, there is no nature creature in the troop, but I did some test on a map with multiple test):
11 Black Dragon
-empty-
-empty-
65 Evil Eyes
-empty-
-empty-
-empty-

Put a script on the opposing troop:
Encounter Script: Increase moral of opposing troop (your troop) by 16

This script is to make you play first (with high moral). If you don't play first, I'm not sure you can win this battle...

There is 2 important things to do to win this battle. :)

Good luck!!

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 04 Feb 2016, 14:59

I got 2 more strategic battles for you if you want to try:

2 Genies
2 Dark Champions
3 Evil Sorceresses
2 Water Elementals
2 Ice Demons
40 Harpies

8 Thunderbird
40 Water elementals
40 Harpies
4 Behemoths
40 Sprites
10 Griffins
10 Unicorns

2 Imp
2 Dark Champion
1 Ghost

-- empty --
10 Nagas
-- empty --
10 Unicorns
2 mantises
30 pikemen
-- empty --

For combat#3: You can put less Behemoths if you want (2 is OK). You can win this battles if you put 500 Behemoths in opposing troop, but it will take several days to finish the fight. There is 1 really important thing to do to win this fight.

For combat#4: This one is really cool and technical.

Good luck!

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Feb 2016, 14:14

@PatFx
I still got to try out all of them and win :) But might I suggest you send in some of them to Kalah, for some frontpage H4 quizzes. I think this site could use some acitivity like that. Meanwhile I've decided to get a bit more clear on some the points where I wish to set up some strategic battles.

I could use some ideas for a (series of) Town Defending battles. You'll control a Death Knight (possibly also Priest on lower difficulties with a few healing spell/blessings). The hero will likely be lvl 2 by the time you need to defend the town and will ofcourse gain xp by each won battle.
You'll face a serie of Death and/or Life aligned heroes and creatues so atleast for Expert/Champion difficulty it could be fun to make some of them a bit more strategic. At first you'll only have access to Peasants, but will be able to upgrade those to other troops over time; Squires, Pikemen, Crusaders and Champions (no ranged troops). Your town is life aligned and you'll only have access to life troops. Wheter I'll neutalize morale penalty hasn't yet been decied. I can't specify number of troops, as that will depend on player and progress, so this is a more general setup of spells/abilities and creature abilities/overall strategies (like decoys stacks of 1's or similar) I'm looking for. Ofcourse some element of having to keep atleast a certain number of troops alive from battle to battle, could be nice for higher difficulties.

You control as level 18(+) Dark Lord (necromancy/nobility) (+ optional skill choices, likely combat is one of them).
Army is given, so this gives oppertunity for various set ups. Oppenents will be all other alignments. For the most part, it should be clean alignments, some with hero(es), but I guess mixed alignments could do aswell. (I just might use some of those above mentioned, for inspiration for this one).
This hero will fight many of these 'triggered/set up battles' so I could use several suggestions.

And for both, various suggestions for difficulty settings like you did before is much appreciated :)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”