Collaborative H4 campaign

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Collaborative H4 campaign

Unread postby Karmakeld » 12 Jan 2016, 19:15

Derrick, I've just read you got spare time on your hand - for this project ;)
Anyway, I can't speak for Marsupio, but as I understood from his post, he would only do the landscaping, thus his map won't be scripted, that's my job.
So if all are okay with Christian, time for story ideas..
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 12 Jan 2016, 19:41

If there are better heroes for the purpose of campaign then you should name them.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 12 Jan 2016, 20:03

Karmakeld wrote:Derrick, I've just read you got spare time on your hand - for this project ;)
Anyway, I can't speak for Marsupio, but as I understood from his post, he would only do the landscaping, thus his map won't be scripted, that's my job.
So if all are okay with Christian, time for story ideas..
Haha! Trying to make me procrastinate on my campaign I see ;)

I'm fine with Christian as the main hero to follow. I was just brushing up on the Heroes 4 stories to see if there was anything good in there where we could have Christian take an active role, but I'll need some time to think about it :D

For those that have played The Gathering Storm and Winds of War (I've played most of Gathering Storm, but none of WoW), is there much of any back story? In Gathering Storm's final map, is it pretty much "defeat Hexis" or is there some actual story in there? If not, I won't bother. Same with Winds of War, is there enough story in there for me to bother taking a closer look? Or is it just, "take Rylos!"

Just looking for potential places in the existing universe where we can insert a story for Christian. There is a lot between Chronicles and Heroes 4, but I haven't looked at it as a place for Christian to take an active role. Maybe something after The Reckoning, but before the events of Heroes 4? Some sort of conflict while each faction establishes themselves?

Another way to come up with ideas would be to look for gaps in the stories or to pick a conflict, and then determine which heroes / factions would be involved.

Duzeom_
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Duzeom_ » 12 Jan 2016, 21:36

Ok so ho is definitely in?

Because I am confused :embarrased:

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 12 Jan 2016, 21:56

Looks like: Duzeom, Karmakeld, Taro, Dr. Marsupio (landscaper), and myself.

Dr.Marsupio
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dr.Marsupio » 13 Jan 2016, 00:53

Yhea, There seems to be a misundestanding, I clearly stated I wasn't touching any scripting this time around.
The map is moving along just fine, still a lot to work on, thank god the story is the focus of the conversation now :P

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Jan 2016, 08:36

believe this is indeed the team:
Looks like: Duzeom, Karmakeld (story/scripting), Taro, Dr. Marsupio (landscaper), and myself (liveinabox).
. So we are 4.

Taro, you did mention Yog, I guess a barbaian genie is also quite interesting.

Regarding TGS and WoW, I don't recall there being much if any background to either of the campaigns. There was a little with Alita the dark priestess in TGS regarding some cults, I think, but other than that I recall both campaigns to simply look forward and being capture/destroy.
Isn't there an unexplored continent? Or we still have some nations which I believe isn't really mentioned much in any of the campaigns.
I think something similar to std. H4 campaigns - establishment of a new nation is good, and would allow for some of the classic win conditions mentioned by Duzeom early on.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jan 2016, 17:29

For Christian, it's likely he would have had a hand in the founding of Palaedra. His campaign could start right after The Reckoning. Christian and a small force of military, with a larger trail of refugees, can have just passed through the portal from Enroth to Axeoth. He takes one last look at the destruction on the other side of the portal, then turns away from Enroth forever.

Christian could lead the refugees to find a new and good place to start over. Maybe the portal dropped them off in a dangerous place, so Christian must fight his way through first, before finding a place to make a camp he can use as a base, as he explores the new world for a place to call home.

Once he finds a suitable place to create a base of operations, his next task could be to explore the area for a permanent and safe place to take his refugees to in order to start a new town. While exploring, Christian can possibly meet up with other refugees (with Lysander). Maybe some hostile Barbarians are blocking the way to a nice suitable spot for a settlement.

Beat the Barbarians and now Christian and the rest have started building a new town. But wait, we need materials you say? Okay, time to flag some mines and build up a certain amount of resources while defending against some creatures native to the area or some other threat so we can build our settlement.

So far that's about three maps: 1) Fight your way to safety, 2) Explore and defeat Barbarians, and 3) Accumulate mines and resources while defending against enemies. That's all I have at the moment. Any other ideas? Can either address what I have laid out, or be something completely different. Brainstorm! :D

Also, I'm trying to figure out which map to use for Axeoth. There seem to be two different maps of Axeoth, one at mmh7.ubi.com (lost tales of Axeoth) and one at might-and-magic.ubi.com. The second one actually has the lands of Devonshire and Channon included, but is quite a bit different from the one being used for the Lost Tales of Axeoth. The second one also shows Nekross, Palaedra, and Great Arcan being neighbors (As Michael, Karmakeld, mentioned in the Lost Tales thread). Any ideas?

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jan 2016, 17:46

Maybe instead of meeting up with other refugees and Lysander early on, they learn about Lysander through a tracker sent to find help after Christian has established his settlement. Lysander's new settlement is under attack and Christian must save the day. He joins his settlement under Lysander's rule and Palaedra is founded.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 13 Jan 2016, 18:16

I like your idea for story, and unless some one has another/better idea, I'd say it's a good start. I do like the later suggestion regarding Lysander better, as I think that it is more fitting to Lysanders campaign. I can't remember though if his blood line is questioned before or after Palaedra is founded. (just to be sure that our story don't collide with the campaign story).
Should the 4th map be about aiding Lysander, leading to the founding of Palaedra?
I guess he would learn by rumor that this Lysander, is the last of the Griffinhearts(?) and decide to aid him as he'd been helped by his family in the past. He later support him as King of Palaedra, thus helping in the founding of Palaedra.
Regarding map, I don't know how important it is for us, but as my comment you refer to, I don't think the 'official' Lost Tales.. map fit the stories of H4, where it is stated several times that Palaedra, Nekross and Great Arcan are neighbors, all borderlands to the region known as The Wheel.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jan 2016, 19:08

Yeah, if we meet Lysander early on, then we have to develop him as a character, which is already done in his own campaign, so it should probably be at the end :D

In the Heroes 4 campaign "The True Blade," Palaedra is already established and Lord Lysander rules. There is no question of his bloodline because he doesn't claim to be a Gryphonheart, just a Lord. The problem comes when Worton claims to be a Gryphonheart and that because of that, he should rule instead of Lysander. The story that I've proposed is a sort of prequel to "The True Blade." The Birth of Palaedra :D

When I say founding of Palaedra, I just mean the final display text of the map / campaign could discuss combining settlements into a province with the name of Palaedra.

I would think that Christian would simply see those in need, from the same Kingdom that he was from before The Reckoning, and come to their aid. While helping them, he would learn about Lysander, and believe him to be a strong and capable ruler. Christian became a military leader for Queen Catherine, but not necessarily a Lord / ruler, so it isn't far fetched that he would submit to Lysander's rule if he believed him to be capable.

As far as the map is concerned, that sounds like we want to use the second map, located here.

Side note: I just found something REALLY interesting that I didn't know while looking at the heroes wiki. Have a look at this link and search "brother". That gives a lot of potential for writing in the world of Axeoth. I think I could do a LOT with that little tidbit :D

Duzeom_
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Duzeom_ » 13 Jan 2016, 19:31

@iLiVe, @Karmakeld - these kind of deliberations I wanted to avoid. Using heroes which exists in Heroes lore give you a lot of struggle to fit to other stories. Also the places you say must be similar to campaigns. In these conditions I don't want to create campaign - because I don't know well any stories behind many characters in lore also the places are unfamiliar to me. Moreover creating maps having some restriction to them because of main campaigns and places is too cumbersome for me, because I always created everything from scratch.

I thought that it would be nice if every mapmaker will think out his story - because there is no motivation to create under somebody's else story. So maybe we will start from someone and then go from it? Who wants to start the story?

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jan 2016, 20:25

Alright, well I tried. Sorry man, but it seems like you only want things your way. I gave a very high level outline of a story for four maps where 99% of the story detail would come from the mapmaker. If you want the story to be completely made up by the mapmaker for each map, then the campaign will just be a jumble of four random maps, without a coherent story.

I'm all about a decent and well told story, so if that is going to be absent, I'm going to bow back out. Sorry guys.

Duzeom_
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Duzeom_ » 13 Jan 2016, 22:00

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote:Alright, well I tried. Sorry man, but it seems like you only want things your way. I gave a very high level outline of a story for four maps where 99% of the story detail would come from the mapmaker. If you want the story to be completely made up by the mapmaker for each map, then the campaign will just be a jumble of four random maps, without a coherent story.

I'm all about a decent and well told story, so if that is going to be absent, I'm going to bow back out. Sorry guys.
Yeah I want everything my way - but it is You who impose the story to others, and turn back when it doesn't go your way. Just read what you written here...

Story as coherent as JRR Tolkien's ones was never my concern. To my the story is on second place in this campaign. I have my projects to develop stories. As I written before story should be simple. I can create a map but sorry I will not do something you wish me to do - because you can't afford to hire me. You always can create sophisticated stories with lot of texts and twists, but I will not spend a great amount of time to polish story in collaborative campaign which to me is about something other - about comparison of mapmakers styles and creating good tactic experience. That's the way I see the purpose in this project, and don't force me to see it other way.

iLiVeInAbOx05
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby iLiVeInAbOx05 » 13 Jan 2016, 22:31

Duzeom_ wrote:Yeah I want everything my way - but it is You who impose the story to others, and turn back when it doesn't go your way. Just read what you written here...

Story as coherent as JRR Tolkien's ones was never my concern. To my the story is on second place in this campaign. I have my projects to develop stories. As I written before story should be simple. I can create a map but sorry I will not do something you wish me to do - because you can't afford to hire me. You always can create sophisticated stories with lot of texts and twists, but I will not spend a great amount of time to polish story in collaborative campaign which to me is about something other - about comparison of mapmakers styles and creating good tactic experience. That's the way I see the purpose in this project, and don't force me to see it other way.
Lets get one thing straight. The only one imposing anything here is you. I simply threw some ideas out, and rather than discuss them or offer some ideas of your own, you just stepped on them and threw them away. Apparently you don't know what the word collaborate means. Let me educate you: IT MEANS WORKING TOGETHER. Does that ring a bell? Let me help you some more: it means you don't trample on others' ideas in the project just because you don't like them. You can go back through this entire thread, and anytime someone puts forward something you don't like, you shoot it down.

And there are no elaborate twists. No huge plot. Just basic win / loss conditions that you asked to have in these maps. Aka simple. They were just ideas, but since it's too difficult for you to take 5-10 minutes to read a summary for a Heroes 4 campaign, apparently that makes them bad ideas that should just be ignored.

You think so much of yourself it's hilarious. Couldn't hire you? I would never want or need your help for anything, LOL :D This thread should be renamed to Competition H4 Campaign, since that's what you're going for. It certainly is not collaborative. Anyway, hope you never have to realize how good you aren't, because it's going to be a long fall if you do.

Duzeom_
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Duzeom_ » 14 Jan 2016, 11:13

iLiVeInAbOx05 wrote: Lets get one thing straight. The only one imposing anything here is you. I simply threw some ideas out, and rather than discuss them or offer some ideas of your own, you just stepped on them and threw them away. Apparently you don't know what the word collaborate means. Let me educate you: IT MEANS WORKING TOGETHER. Does that ring a bell? Let me help you some more: it means you don't trample on others' ideas in the project just because you don't like them. You can go back through this entire thread, and anytime someone puts forward something you don't like, you shoot it down.

And there are no elaborate twists. No huge plot. Just basic win / loss conditions that you asked to have in these maps. Aka simple. They were just ideas, but since it's too difficult for you to take 5-10 minutes to read a summary for a Heroes 4 campaign, apparently that makes them bad ideas that should just be ignored.

You think so much of yourself it's hilarious. Couldn't hire you? I would never want or need your help for anything, LOL :D This thread should be renamed to Competition H4 Campaign, since that's what you're going for. It certainly is not collaborative. Anyway, hope you never have to realize how good you aren't, because it's going to be a long fall if you do.
1. In every team there are rules describing how to work together. These rules I written in first post of this subject. Of course You don't have to agree with them but in the sake of good teamwork we should stick with some rules, don't you think? Without them there will be chaos. I written there that it would be nice that every map maker think out his story. It is wise and just solution in my opinion. If other mapmakers want your story to be "incorporated" then OK, but I always wanted to create my own story in my own map. Then please tell me what I am imposing? I am just defending my opinion and part in this project.

2. I don't like story of Christian because of the issues written before not because it is bad. I read your story but I don't recognize any heroes and places You have written there so to me it is very complicated. I never said it is bad story - I said that for me is too much. That was my opinion and again where I am imposing anything? I asked who wants to start creating story - you could say that you want to start and start with the Christian story and other mapmaker would develop your idea. But if he would develop in a bad way (for example me who don't know the lore) You would say that it is rubbish because it doesn't fit the lore. That's why I written that FOR ME it is bad idea to stick with lore.

3. You wanted discussion there you have it - I stated my opinion.

4. I am doing map making for a long time and I just think that I know how to organize such a project. And still I wanted it to be quick - 1 month and we have a campaign. We can start from Christian, but I will not learn the lore not because it takes 10 minutes, because it is NOT FUN for me to watching steps when I create a map.

5. You could call it competition campaign then it is still good idea.

6. Yes I think that I am good mapmaker (but there are better one) and I will not create map based on someone's story, simply because I don't have to and I don't like to do it. That's why I said You can't afford to hire me because there is no sum of money which would convince me to do it.

OK, let just stop quarreling about the story. Let's start from Christian, but let other mapmakers decide how the story evolves, without commentaries. Down to all it is their work they want to do and no one should question their decisions.

Taro
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Taro » 14 Jan 2016, 13:32

Axeoth and Christian are not vital to me so if we create new hero in another world it's fine.

For example, we have a young lord called Leoward Pegason. He's not good or evil, something between and his actions are about to give him glory. He's not dangerous to innocent but on the other hand he doesn't care too much about lives of his people. Leoward is lazy and enjoy things like - tournaments, feasts etc. He decides to find Lion Shield of Courage because it will give him fame and glory among other lords. But it's guarded by a sect of druids.

That's for now.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Jan 2016, 14:12

Woah, did the hydra just lose a head there? And did it respawn or did the hydra simply just die? :beheading:

First of, let me just try to smooth out some things, and don't take any of this personal any of you, I'm trying to aim focus on where this very suddenly went all wrong.
Duzeom, I must agree with Derrick, that along the way you seemingly put out a negative approach to some matters. Like Derricks' story suggestion but also the fact that Dr. Marsupio would only be doing the map making and the fact that he had already begun mapmaking, even before the story had been laid out. Now one could argue that Derrick could have written his opnion in a nicer maner, but done is done. :stop:

I agree that rules are good for avoiding chaotic events and things going off tracks, but it clearly seems like, if this project is to survive, we need more rules.
Question: Is this a democratic project? We're 5 people in 4 'teams', but as Dr. Marsupio and I are 1 team, do we each have a vote or do we count as one?
my point being, Christian was first mentioned by Taro
I think the world of Axeoth will be fine. We can take some classic hero (Sorsha, Yog, Christian....).
Duzeom then stated
Sorry but I will not play Heroes 3 AB now to know Christian story.
my comment to that was
any events taken place in the old world, is as relevant as each mapmaker decide. We could ask Taro to sum up some of the most important events in Christian past, but still I think we're free to give him new memories or if his set of mind is different from the past, well guess what, it's a new world..
, Duzeom replied this
memories can be contradict with the previous story of main hero or what Taro has written in his part. It is unlikely so I think we can start from Christian (still omitting all I think he is rather not interesting hero...)
and later on this
Using heroes which exists in Heroes lore give you a lot of struggle to fit to other stories. Also the places you say must be similar to campaigns. In these conditions I don't want to create campaign - because I don't know well any stories behind many characters in lore also the places are unfamiliar to me. Moreover creating maps having some restriction to them because of main campaigns and places is too cumbersome for me, because I always created everything from scratch...
..I thought that it would be nice if every mapmaker will think out his story - because there is no motivation to create under somebody's else story. So maybe we will start from someone and then go from it?
I second Derrick's opnion:
If you want the story to be completely made up by the mapmaker for each map, then the campaign will just be a jumble of four random maps, without a coherent story.
One of the first rules was this:
Firstly we think out a story. The story shouldn't be too complicated and must have something like "story milestones". Story milestones are events in the story which are easily created in the campaign as a map..
..9. Maps should use main heroes of the story and represent the story milestone (ST) discussed here.
The way I read your post, there is something contradictory. You want us to create a story line, but at the same time it should be so open, that basically only the main hero is decided and events of first map, then the 2nd map maker are free to continue the story in any way he see fit. How is this possible, if we're all to start working at the same time? Map 2 can't continue till the story of the first map is done, or we could have the same ' struggle to fit to other stories' as you are concerned about regarding Christian/Paleadra lore.
Duzeom, you wrote this in the very first post:
Story milestone: for example: "Our hero Duzeom fights with dragon slayer over supremacy in Dragonians highlands. He beats a dragon slayer but he finds out that he was his lost brother."
Now I can create map from it and other person can create also part of his story starting from this milestone. For example:
"Duzeom after finding that he killed his own brother seeks a forgiveness in a monk sanctuary. But the sanctuary is guarded by the deads"
And someone makes a map about it. THAT'S IT..
..AS LONG AS THE END OF CURRENT MS IS THE SAME AS START OF NEXT MS WE HAVE CONTINUITY AND EVERYTHING IS OK.
But really we need SIMPLE stories because collaborative campaign isn't about the story IMHO.
Collaborative campaigns which were consistent in 100% were already done. We must do something new so we must not worry about small inconsistencies.
Now I'm the one who is confused :??. Isn't that basically what Derrick did with his story suggestion? Create Milestones? Back to my point, do we each have a vote regarding the story line? If so, we could vote for or against the Christian storyline. I'm not sure if Marsupio should even be given a vote as he's not writing the story but simply doing the landscaping ( :rolleyes: okay I'm being sarcastic here)

Now In your last post, Duzeom wrote this
If other mapmakers want your story to be "incorporated" then OK, but I always wanted to create my own story in my own map.
, again I find this contradicting to the fact that we were supposed to come up with a story which should be the thing that glued these 4 maps together, or am I missing something?? If we don't agree on a story and the Milestones, then we could just take 4 random maps and place them in any order. Now whether the story is simple or complicted I felt like was a job for each map maker to decide. A simple story can take up a single A4 page or 20 A4 pages and yet they can tell the same story.

I'm sorry if you Duzeom, feel like 'we're taking over your project/idea', but like Derrick, my drive is the storytelling. And I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to make this into a competetion between map makers? If people want to compare, they can download, play and rate the campaigns of Duzeom, Karmakeld, iLiVeInAbOx05, Taro and Dr. Marsupio. If a campaign isn't supposted to tell a story (even if just simple one), I feel like I miss the point of a campaign? We're not supposed to build strong heroes either, so.. that leaves the campaign with what purpose..? My participation wasn't based on this being a competition, but you did mention it early on, so that is my mistake aswell, although I don't see the benefit of. e.g. Taro being able to point a finger at my/Marsupio's map and point out that his map is better. I would asume that we were in this together (hence the word Collaborative), trying to make a nice campaign, not 2 good maps, 1 decent and 1 totally awful (competition).
And regarding time horizon, I sincerly don't hope you expect us to be able to create a map in just 1 month? Does this include testing aswell?

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 14 Jan 2016, 14:16

regarding Christian story. For my part aswell, we can go with Taro's new suggestion, but Derrick happened to be the first to come up with a decent storyline, and even had suggestions for several of the maps. To me it's not important if one comes up with the story or if we all add bits and pieces to it, but we can spend the next month discarding suggestions or develope those who has come up. For my part, I'm blank regarding ideas atm. If the basics are there, I shall soon come up with something, but I have nothing from scratch to contribute with right now.

PatFX
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby PatFX » 14 Jan 2016, 18:46

Hi guys,
cool to see a collaborative campaign starting.

I can't help you because I'm really busy right now, but maybe I got a funny idea for you regarding Story/Heroes:

4 of the most powerfull heroes are all in prison on 4 differents territories (map). In each map, you need to rescue 1.

For exemple:
Map1 (Karmakeld and Dr. Marsupio): You start the first map with 1 Warlord Hero name Dr. Marsupio and you need to rescue Karmakeld, the Death Knight (who is silent in seven languages - and who's got all his familys fear.... :) ) and kill the evil king and his troop..... Tell the story of Karmakeld and Dr. Marsupio and there frienship.....

Map2 (Duzeom): You start the map with 2 Heroes (Dr. Marsupio and Karmakeld) and you need to rescue the Monk Duzeom and find some old magic parchment..... Tell the story of Duzeom....

Map3 (Taro): You start the map with 3 heroes (Dr. Marsupio, Karmakeld and Duzeom) and need to rescue the Sorcerer Taro and then kill the Evil sorceress XX and bring back peace in the territory. Tell the story of Taro....

Map4 (iLiVeInAbOx05): You start the map with 4 heroes (Dr. Marsupio, Karmakeld, Duzeom and Taro) and need to rescue iLiVeInAbOx05. Then, each hero need to open a protal in 5 differents territories to access together to the Devil's sanctuary and fight his army. Tell the story of iLiVeInAbOx05.

That way (this is just an exemple), you could find a basic story line (the reason why you need to regroup all 5 heroes together), and then, each mapmaker can use his personnal ideas for his map (story of his Hero).

I think it could be funny to learn something about your hero!!

Good luck to you!!

..... and I wish you to not meet the evil Demonologist PatFX during your quest, because you could have some big problems.... lol

sorry for my bad english....

Return to “Heroes I-IV”