H7: Map File Size

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

H7: Map File Size

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2015, 09:06

With the projected file size of Heroes VII map files at 20-80 MB, we may encounter a problem: capacity. If the editor is a hit and fans start making lots of maps that take up a lot of space, fan sites like ours could get into troubl with both storage and download capacity. So what to do?

One possible solution is to turn the site's H7 map section into a torrent distribution centre, offering links to the torrents rather than direct downloads. What do you think?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Re: H7: Map File Size

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 22 Dec 2015, 11:04

Well if it doesn't go out of control and it doesn't become a pirate site it's ok, I guess :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2015, 13:35

No, I'm talking about setting up a maps page, as normal, but instead of a direct download link (to a file hosted on our site), we may have to give people a torrent link. Of course, we would make the page, and allow no other files to be shared via our site. It would be file sharing the way it was intended.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 22 Dec 2015, 15:05

I guess that it's pretty OK, but someone must be keeping his torrent machine online all the time and updated.

I assume Kalah that it cannot be compressed any more?

Perhaps question to gamaki if this can be shrinked down a bit. So far it looks that there are also objects, inspecting the structure of map file will be important.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Dec 2015, 15:50

If you look here, there's a significant difference in whether a map should be editable or not - the "uncooked" version of the mentioned map is +80Mb and it's 28Mb if you just want to play it and not look at it in the editor. So I guess 20-30Mb is the figure we have to go with for each map.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”