Just bought Heroes 5 TotE. Now what?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
nginferno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Just bought Heroes 5 TotE. Now what?

Unread postby nginferno » 01 Dec 2015, 13:47

So I am an utter newbie who has not a single clue what to do right now, can someone provide me some guidelines?

Alfalken
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Just bought Heroes 5 TotE. Now what?

Unread postby Alfalken » 01 Dec 2015, 14:04

Start the campaign? There's a tutorial one where you control Quroq if memory serves me well.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 01 Dec 2015, 14:14

Hi what do you mean "utter newbie"? As in you never played Heroes before?

If so, yes campaigns is safe start to learn game mechanics but Heroes V story is a bit... :D

To me single scenarios are more fun. ;)

Basically you have heroes and castle to develop so you can lead armies to conquer, it's turn-based strategy so when you can't move your hero anymore you have to end turn by clicking on the hourglass.
You will gather resources and capture mines on the adventure map so you can build in your town, one construction a day it is. Hero leveling up will propose skills and your stats will get higher too, stats of hero will influence on strength of your army.

Battles are also turned-based, I guess you'll figure it out. From there I guess you're good to explore. :)

nginferno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nginferno » 01 Dec 2015, 14:32

Galaad wrote:Hi what do you mean "utter newbie"? As in you never played Heroes before?

If so, yes campaigns is safe start to learn game mechanics but Heroes V story is a bit... :D

To me single scenarios are more fun. ;)

Basically you have heroes and castle to develop so you can lead armies to conquer, it's turn-based strategy so when you can't move your hero anymore you have to end turn by clicking on the hourglass.
You will gather resources and capture mines on the adventure map so you can build in your town, one construction a day it is. Hero leveling up will propose skills and your stats will get higher too, stats of hero will influence on strength of your army.

Battles are also turned-based, I guess you'll figure it out. From there I guess you're good to explore. :)
All of my heroes MM experience amounts to messing about in heroes 6 demo. I just read the reviews and went TotE because its recommended.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 01 Dec 2015, 14:39

Heroes 6 is a VERY different game from the original Heroes experience, classics are Heroes 2, Heroes 3 and Heroes 5 TotE yes. TotE is a very good game, fun and addictive, although I would HIGHLY recommend that you download and install Heroes 5.5 MOD or at the very least the QUANTOMAS AI, as it not only improves the AI but also SPEEDS UP ITS TURNS DRASTICALLY.  :)
IIRC you need to install Unnoficial 3.1 patch beforehand.

Easiest is just to install h5.5 as it gets everything at once, including better textures for graphical improvement.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 01 Dec 2015, 18:04

Quantomas is the best example of why I have more faith in the community than in any official developer. Heroes 7 will be saved by the community, if it is ever saved.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 02 Dec 2015, 07:52

I think there was a mod or something to download, so you can play the original HMM V campaigns on TotE, starting with the Haven campaign. I would recommend you to start with that. Yes, the story is not the brightest gem in the crown, but the original campaigns I found fun back in the day, and replaying them was also a fun. And I've replayed them several times trough the years.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 03 Dec 2015, 09:12

Well, I wouldn't recommend anyone new to the series to start his experience with Ashan campaigns (even before retcons made it even worse), as I don't consider the Ubi revamp to be representative at all or faithful in any way to the original spirit of the series.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 03 Dec 2015, 09:26

Well, the guy already bought the game, so it is a bit too late to get familiar with the original lore of the series. The original campaigns are the easiest way for a new player to get really familiar with the heroes skill system, the game mechanics, etc.

One really important part of this learning experience I almost forgot about - @nginferno you'll find the Skill Wheel of great use. It will make the mess with what skill to chose a lot more easier (in some aspects).

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 03 Dec 2015, 09:40

I don't know, I myself learned game mechanics by playing single scenarios, campaigns I did later.

nginferno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nginferno » 03 Dec 2015, 13:41

I'm tempted to get 5.5 right away but I'm not sure if I need to download the 3.1 patch. I got the steam version and it says 3.1. Also, where can I find basic strategies and guidelines for each hero/race?

magnomagus
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby magnomagus » 04 Dec 2015, 11:40

MM: Heroes 5.5 requires patch 3.1 to be installed first.

H5.5 might have an overwhelming amount of features for a newcomer, but is not more difficult to play in every aspect as the skill system is much easier to memorize (activate casual game option for RMG and multiplayer maps). For Campaigns start with 'The Queen'

I recommend to start playing with Haven faction, because it is most suitable for beginners.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Dec 2015, 13:55

You can also check out our walkthroughs page (scroll down for H5). :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 04 Dec 2015, 14:22

nginferno wrote:I'm tempted to get 5.5 right away but I'm not sure if I need to download the 3.1 patch. I got the steam version and it says 3.1. Also, where can I find basic strategies and guidelines for each hero/race?
Try the original version first first. I am not saying that it's like a different game, but is quite different, especially with the skill system.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 04 Dec 2015, 16:13

But then you NEED Quantomas AI (requires 3.1). ;)

And you can get Xuxo's textures from HERE. :)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 04 Dec 2015, 21:54

Guys, if you're going to recommend using Quantomas' AI, give the poor lad a quick intro to it. For one, it makes the game harder. Neutral stacks can now have heroes.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 04 Dec 2015, 22:43

You can set that in the menu (Neutral Champions dif.) so that it won't happen early game. Plus he can always set the overall difficulty to normal or easy. You can also set the AI behavior to aggressive or defensive. I don't think it's bad to recommend it even to a newbie, especially when the original AI turns delivered by Ubi are so damn long, making any map above L size unplayable.
Last edited by Galaad on 05 Dec 2015, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

magnomagus
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby magnomagus » 05 Dec 2015, 00:33

Actually the standalone version of Quantomas Ai is easier to beat than the 3.1 AI, because it doesn't cheat, not even on heroic. Neutral heroes are totally IMBA, but this function is switched off by default.

There are however serious script issues with QAI standalone+original campaign mod from sfidanza. If you want to play the original campaigns and not use H5.5 then you are better of sticking to the original exe file.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 05 Dec 2015, 09:11

Q's AI is indeed a great thing, I'm just saying that if a newbie is going to use it, we should give him a small "tutorial" about what it can do. :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”