Narrative

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Groovy
Golem
Golem

Re: Narrative

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Nov 2015, 15:50

I don’t have a lot on them from the story point of view, even though one of them (Melkor) is an important character. I have more from the game perspective, which assigns them a wide variety of abilities (dragon breaths) depending on which faction they serve. They are few and powerful, but still only creatures of the land. As such, they are neither as powerful nor as mysterious as some other creatures that feature in both the story and the game (such as top creatures from exotic factions, elementals, and especially archons).

While not unique to dragons, perhaps the most important characteristic to keep in mind is their constitution. Lightning dragons (skrils) are literally made from lightning. They are not creatures of flesh and blood that spew out lightning bolts; they are lightning itself. The same for lava dragons (made from lava), armoured dragons (made from iron), storm dragons (made from storms), etc. Their game design is not finalised, so you are welcome to add to this list.

From the story point of view, I only need a single battle where Melkor and co. have a hard time. Of course, if you come up with more, I’d be more than happy to include it (writing about dragons is always awesome). In the previous iteration of the novel, I had them attacked by a temporary alliance of griffins and wyverns, though I’ve since abandoned this idea (the griffin motivation for the attack – seeking a new homeland due to their one being destroyed – was overused). It’s actually quite difficult to come up with adversaries for dragons that are both properly motivated and worthy. I’m currently leaning towards a dragon civil war motif. They are certainly diverse enough to hold the reader’s interest in such a conflict.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Nov 2015, 16:05

Got it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 03 Apr 2016, 17:50

Would anyone be interested in critically reading some of the material that I've written thus far? This would help me keep the narrative on the right track.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Apr 2016, 13:42

You may always count on me whenever you wish.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Apr 2016, 13:43

Unless it's that same piece of work I read those days ago? :)

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 05 Apr 2016, 04:11

No, I've done more writing since then. I'm busy with the undead now. I'll send the chapter your way when it's ready, probably in a few days...

Return to “Tabletop Forum”