Randomness - vol. IV

Light-hearted discussions, forum games and anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tech Corner - Firewalls, AV etc. - Report Bugs - Board Rules
markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: Randomness - vol. IV

Unread postby markkur » 12 Sep 2015, 13:02

No, wherever you live. I often hear about people like myself living "out in the sticks" not having a good transfer rate and I was just wondering how other folks fare around the big blue marble, of course in the states too if anyone is around. <S>

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Sep 2015, 13:48

Norway has great connectivity, probably one of the top 5 countries in the world. You can choose between various DLS speeds from landlines and fiberoptics, and 4G wireless is beginning to cover most of the country. Some remote places still complain that wireless coverage is low, but we still have 99% broadband coverage in the country.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Sep 2015, 20:14

In my country, given its vastness, coverage can be good at some places, and non existent in others. There are many places, specially at North in the rain forest, which everything is hard to come by, even getting there (only by boat or small planes), and they lack some technological apparatus, but slowly getting there. Northeast, the countryside, is very poor, and might also lack things such as that. I live at South, and internet coverage here might cover almost the entire region, considering broadband. At home I use my neighbors DSL wireless connection. Top speed for download ranges about 1,3 MB/s. Here at work, that speed is around 4-5 MB/s.

4G is still not spread too much about, mostly in the biggest metropolitan areas and the capital.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Sep 2015, 22:11

There we do have connectivity. But it makes big difference if you are IT Student or working in IT Company (some of them) or not. If you are, you may be so lucky to be connected by optic, up to 1TB (bone network). If you are a mere mortal, like a majority of people here, sure including me, you have something in range 5-50Mbits.

We do have LTE in big citites, this coverage is a relatively new here and was built from none in two years.

If you don't have some friendly Wi-Fi provider you are gonna to live with ADSL, Cable or Optic connection and need paying quite high price. Often twice, for home and mobile data.

That's kinda enough about Czech Republic :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Sep 2015, 20:43

A bit naughty for this site, but check out this body paint. A real-life Faceless? ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 27 Sep 2015, 07:56

@ Kalah, Panda and Pol

Well that confirms it, my data-transfer is not up to par compared with all of you. Oh well, I am m/l in the "sticks" and at least it's not the 28.8 k that it was at one time. I remember when it doubled to 56 and I thought...wow. <LOL>

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Sep 2015, 22:10

I think that's true in much of the world, actually. Which is why I have been pestering Ubisoft to release patches as torrents the last 4 years.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Oct 2015, 07:41

Watched The Martian on Thursday and just finished watching Chappie.

The Martian felt like some Nasa advertisement. ^^ Even so, I do like sci-fi movies, even when they are more descriptive than action-like. It was pleasant in its way. At least there were no blue-eyed aliens.

Chappie was fun. I'm always interested in this AI-Life-Consciousness business and the movie is overall amusing. And it was good watching the antagonistic actor being a villain for a change. hohoho Happier ending than expected actually.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Taking lessons from Heroes 3

Unread postby Steven Aus » 18 Oct 2015, 12:43

I'm wondering Panda Tar, having spent a while out of the Heroes loop, how did you get to become the Forum Mascot of CH? If this is better suited in another thread, you can move it.
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Taking lessons from Heroes 3

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Oct 2015, 12:50

It was by accident, although an accident I rather appreciate. ^^ Kalah was working on some positioning of titles a while back, when they were making some arrangements on the boards and I sort of inherited this title from ... Fnord, I think. It's not that I have super powers or anything, by the way. It's probably because pandas give luck when they are mascots. ^^

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Oct 2015, 17:55

It's all explained in the forum ranks. I took it out of the general instructions topic and created a new one so you can see. :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 18 Oct 2015, 18:28

A one-off title given to one of the nicest guys ever to walk the forum halls; Panda Tar is friendly, funny and an all-round good-guy that makes everyone's day a little better.
Awwww. :embarrased:

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 19 Oct 2015, 06:10

Thanks Kalah. And yes, I think I can remember Fnord being the Forum Mascot before Panda Tar. Anyway, the title seems to be quite an honour, and well-deserved. :)
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Oct 2015, 12:05

Thanks. :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 28 Oct 2015, 17:34

There's a delay when I post, also it tells I'm logged in when I'm not right after.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2015, 18:01

Galaad wrote:There's a delay when I post, also it tells I'm logged in when I'm not right after.
For future reference, post these issues related to these forums here. :tsup:

On my end, everything is normal at the moment. I just had to re-login today, though, as if my browser forgot anything about CH.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 28 Oct 2015, 18:10

Thanks mate, will move my post there :good:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 Oct 2015, 19:36

There was updated today and cache cleaning, so it could forget, yes.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 09 Nov 2015, 13:39

Watching this "The Leftovers" series latest episode... what an tremendously heavy show.

I am in awe.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Nov 2015, 19:50

It's coming ...

Dec. 1st. :)

Return to “Campfire”