Patch 1.3 Coming

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
{CH}ArticleBot
CH News Reporter
CH News Reporter

Patch 1.3 Coming

Unread postby {CH}ArticleBot » 23 Oct 2015, 21:20

The devs have announcedpatch 1.3 for Heroes VII, to be released soon, hopefully next week:
  • Fix of various remaining crashes
  • Fix of various gameplay bugs (adventure map, combat and skills/abilities)
  • Fix of various localization issues
  • Fix of various HUD and GUI glitches/bugs
  • Additional Audio and FX fixes
  • AI performances improvements and balancing fixes
I have to admit that support-wise, I like what I'm seeing so far. The game was buggy at release, but it is being worked on is steadily improving. They also say they will continue this effort. This is the kind of thing I expect and desire to see from a developer, and it makes me hope that Limbic can also be put on the job of making expansions once the major kinks are worked out.
Read full article...
CH First Mechanized Brigade - Newspapers Lieutenant
Submit Map | Maps | Walkthroughs | Downloads

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Patch 1.3 Coming

Unread postby vicheron » 24 Oct 2015, 06:15

I wonder how long it will be before Limbic ends up like Black Hole and bankrupts itself trying to fix the game's problems with their own money because Ubisoft didn't give them enough resources.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 24 Oct 2015, 14:30

I don't even begin to understand why Ubisoft did not delay their launch by 3 months. If 2 fairly thorough patches can be produced within 1 month of launch, I suspect 3 months is all that Limbic needed for their developers to Play the game themselves, test on their own, polish and do a good job. Then instead of terrible reviews and angered fans, they would have solid goodwill and a good rep online.

You think most reviewers are going to go back and do a new review everytime you produce a new patch? Nope. Bad reviews are going to stay in cyberspace forever. Any good comments that later get posted will get posted at the bottom after you've spent an hour scrolling down.

Even if delaying a launch by YEARS (like Blizzard) is too much, it should not be too much to delay a launch by 3 months.

This demonstrates how little Ubisoft knows about doing a long term business. They care more about their balance sheet next quarter, than about their 5-year performances.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Oct 2015, 15:52

Sadly, I suspect you have a point; it's symptomatic of the business and more and more producers are eager to release their games as soon as possible. I think this is partly due to the fact that patching after release has become generally accepted as a method; that it's OK not to release a finished product because everybody knows about patches. A car manufacturer (I know cars and games aren't exactly comparable, but..) couldn't do the same since people expect the product to work perfectly from the start.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 Oct 2015, 21:46

Kalah wrote: I think this is partly due to the fact that patching after release has become generally accepted as a method; that it's OK not to release a finished product because everybody knows about patches.
Generals may accept whatever they want, but I am not a general and I am not gonna accept or play the game.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 24 Oct 2015, 22:00

same here lol, it's an atrocious, unethical, unacceptable practice, and I'm sad but not one bit surprised that the Heroes series has finally been killed by it after this fourth (and sleaziest ever) awful release in a row lol

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 25 Oct 2015, 04:23

Pitsu wrote:
Kalah wrote: I think this is partly due to the fact that patching after release has become generally accepted as a method; that it's OK not to release a finished product because everybody knows about patches.
Generals may accept whatever they want, but I am not a general and I am not gonna accept or play the game.
It's not OK, and most people do not think it is ok.

The assumption of the market, is that a product is indeed finished with no immediately visible bugs, but because computers nowadays are complex, on people's less common setups or playstyles there may be problems that require attention later.

If you can't even start the game on 50% of gamers' computers, as seems to be the case, it is not a finished product. It's like a book whose cover you can't even open because the pages have been bound wrongly.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Oct 2015, 10:25

cjlee wrote:It's not OK, and most people do not think it is ok.
People may feel that way, but you see the problem, right? A car that doesn't start or run properly wouldn't even leave the shop, whereas games are different. They get bought anyway since the patching practice is well established. It's really weird when you think about it.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 25 Oct 2015, 12:03

I wouldn't says that Cars and games are that bad a compare. Cars are getting more and more tecnical and with more and more software tecnology in them. I know of cars where you can no longer just change the tires and brakes yourself, you need to stop by an autorised workshop, where they link it to a computer and with a press on a button, confirms that a change/fix has been made. (speaking of which, I just read that Apple will implement a new feature in their new phones, so if you fix your phone at unautorized workshops, it shuts down).
But imaging how it'll be like when/if Apple/google or whomever begins to make cars, using advanced technology. Then you'll likely also see 'patches'. 'Oh, our automatic parking system didn't work properly, if there's snow, your local garage can fix that with the newest patch'. We're already seeing our smart TV's requiring updates, our phones have updates/bug fixes, my pellet heating stove runs on a software that requires occasionally updates/issue fixes, so it's not just the gaming industry that does patching, but basically everything that uses advanced software to work.
(speaking of my pellet heater, we had many issues with it. Software issue, change of motor, the tube that transport the pellets to the heater was build wrong etc. The service guys then told us the manufactors had moved the production from a cheap european country back to denmark, due to a loooong list of bugs and issues regarding production, surprisingly the company said it was because this way, they could ship them right from production, because they couldn't keep up with the high demand).
But sadly I think the days when things were build to last and when products weren't put on the market before producers knew it was working 100% as intended, are long gone. Also you had the issue back in the 80' and 90', you couldn't just patch games for consoles or pc's as the internet wasn't that common, and consoles weren't even connected to the internet, thus you needed a 100% approved game before release.
Think about how many cars have been pulled back these past years, due to severe issues like engines bursting in flames etc.
You see examples of houses not being build properly, due to timelimits. I know of examples with cooling carts for trucks, falling apart due to the fact that they speeded up production, meaning they weren't build properly.
It's sad, 'coz I think most people are willing to wait for a good product, but the phrase Time is Money just seems to weight heavier than long lasting products that are properly made. It's amazing to think that structures build hundres of years ago, still stand, I only wonder how many structures build within the last century will still stand in 200 years..
But Cjlee is right about first impression are vital. Would you go back to a constructor/craftsman who's work let you down the first time.. :no: .Oh your house fell apart?? Well, I can build you a new one, jsut give me a month..
Also you get what you pay for. Sometimes there are a connection between why someone is alot cheaper than the other, and why some can finish a job in a shoorter amount of time. But this doesn't seems to be coporate knowledge these days..

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 25 Oct 2015, 12:57

vicheron wrote:I wonder how long it will be before Limbic ends up like Black Hole and bankrupts itself trying to fix the game's problems with their own money because Ubisoft didn't give them enough resources.
There is so much truth in this post.

decebalus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby decebalus » 25 Oct 2015, 22:47

they (ubi) would better fix multiplayer!!!
- sim turns dont work (player have to watch screen untill opponent watching screen)!!! :-D
- desync!!! :ill:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Oct 2015, 14:11

And patch 1.3 has just been released. Time for players to 'test' it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Oct 2015, 14:32

Karmakeld wrote: It's sad, 'coz I think most people are willing to wait for a good product, but the phrase Time is Money just seems to weight heavier than long lasting products that are properly made. It's amazing to think that structures build hundres of years ago, still stand, I only wonder how many structures build within the last century will still stand in 200 years..
But Cjlee is right about first impression are vital. Would you go back to a constructor/craftsman who's work let you down the first time.. :no: .Oh your house fell apart?? Well, I can build you a new one, just give me a month..
Aye, sometimes it's harder to tell apart who's the real responsible for such situation, isn't it? Companies, who condone themselves into rushing things for their own reasons, clinging to the fact that they can undo the mess or fix anything because it's easy these days. Or customers, who keep buying products in a complete awful quality state. Based on past evidence, some companies deserve trust. Others seem to have applied this outraging policy to their core and people, customers, should know better.

But then I remember people lining up for days to get a new iPhone version and I guess it also reflects on other things. Not saying the iPhones are awful products upon launching, but saying that people urging to get things as fast as possible might be a tendency, even when they are risking getting something very far from ideal, for whatever reason.

I'm sure that sometimes it feels pointless complaining against such huge companies, a feeble attempt to make them focus on quality, but it feels simply so wrong thinking it's OK or that it's normal. I'll always complain and avoid products from such companies, because I don't think that's ok releasing things like that. In my understanding, all these tools which allow them fixing and patching things should be used to promote a free and advantageous exchange of experience from player and company, from day one, tools to improve and perfect, not to fix and undo messes and become channel for customers to complain and throw rocks, when it could have been avoided.

Sometimes, it gives away a saddening aura of self destruction. When respect, competence and commitment are sold cheap, and shoddiness, imperfection and disrespect generates money.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

VMmage
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby VMmage » 01 Nov 2015, 00:34

I purchased HOMM I through V, have so far skipped on VI and VII. You can probably guess why...

The "release long before it's ready" is likely to get worse over the next few years, since the mantra from the software development houses today is "Agile" and "Minimum Viable Product" -- and if you think that MVP sounds bad, let me assure you that it is AT LEAST as bad as it sounds.

I've seen a major software product that was released in May to the "early adopters" that was so terrible that even the fanboys couldn't make it look good. Then they started to roll it out to the general community in August, while it still lacks many pieces of key functionality. Their "roadmap" claims that it MIGHT be mostly functional in April 2016. Sad.

Return to “News”