So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby crislevin » 15 Oct 2015, 21:10

Just finished the 2nd sylvan map on easy (normal exhausted me before the patch).

I think game now is in an acceptable status, in that it is playable and can be completed. Small bugs aside, basic functions are here. So if you are a die hard fan, go ahead.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 15 Oct 2015, 21:39

Yeah ... Boycotting the game here.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Oct 2015, 21:53

I'm happy crislevin that it ended that way. You know, you previous post was really angry. You would leave the other people facing the same issue alone. Another hero would be chosen.

Pun aside. I'm happy that it works for you. What do you have for operation system? There will be reason why patching borked. Running some antivirus shield?

@Galaad
That's not exactly helpful attitude. Based on what I seen (from distance, I'm not owner) the game is good and have devoted team. What is most important is, that is moddable, so it may be dream of many people, once patched up.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 15 Oct 2015, 22:55

I followed very closely all development and could witness how community was mostly ignored or simply dismissed, now they release a crappy unfinished product I don't even want to pirate. I think I was helpful before, now I'm just disgusted by how things turned out. Sorry if you don't like my attitude here but I knew exactly what I was diving into when I played the betas and the 64% negative steam reviews and 5.4 user score on metacritic don't really help for changing my mind.

+ the game is not moddable about game mechanics, which was kind of the final nail to the coffin for me. So maybe in ten years if some people are willing to hex edit I'll come back to it, for now I'm enjoying pre h6 games better. H3 is kinda in golden age for modding as well as h5 don't see why I should support a downgrade which I consider to be a fraud to the series, and I just witnessed too much lies coming from Ubi about the game (check out Q&As and compare with vanilla) so if I buy it I'll just feel like I'll loose my integrity on top of being masochist.

Forums are also a place for posting discontentment and I don't see why I wouldn't use this right, I had high hopes for this game and they were crushed with extreme violence.

I know Limbic are trying to fix things, but honestly I just don't believe in them anymore. Nothing personal, just how I feel.

crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby crislevin » 16 Oct 2015, 00:29

Pol wrote:I'm happy crislevin that it ended that way. You know, you previous post was really angry. You would leave the other people facing the same issue alone. Another hero would be chosen.

Pun aside. I'm happy that it works for you. What do you have for operation system? There will be reason why patching borked. Running some antivirus shield?

@Galaad
That's not exactly helpful attitude. Based on what I seen (from distance, I'm not owner) the game is good and have devoted team. What is most important is, that is moddable, so it may be dream of many people, once patched up.
man I was pissed, for sure. Mostly a sense of disappointment and fear of what will happen to the franchise. I hope UBI rethink their business operation, if game can be fixed to this degree as in patch 1.2 in 3 weeks, why not just wait 3 weeks and avoid all the bad press?

anyway, I am on Windows 10, but I never had failure to lunch problem as other people experienced. :)

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Oct 2015, 02:09

When dealing with Ubisoft don't have expectations up. Although I was really hyped about H7 myself, I knew Ubisoft could not be trusted, so already steeled myself to buy this game at least 1.5 years later when presumably it is totally stable. I love GOG.com; maybe they will have a Heroes 7 complete deal in 2017 for $20 and you 'll get the expansions and all patches together in one shot.

Granted, by then Ubisoft will probably be making $2 net profit per game instead of $25. But this is the kind of return they deserved, since they invested so little in H7.

Karmakeld
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Karmakeld » 16 Oct 2015, 16:49

Having just read the list of bug fixes as well as the post/official statement regarding the collector edition box set, I find it puzzling how Ubisoft manages to run a business. Or keep it running. What a sad way to celebrate an anniversary. But I'll prob. wait a year and a half as well. Got lots of other stuff to fill out the time with..
I'm silent in seven languages - and I got all my familys fear.
Everytime you throw dirt, you loose a little ground

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Oct 2015, 17:39

In SC, some people are still complaining about issues listed that should have been fixed, but it's not, at least for their particular reason. Now, how to know what's really fixed? :disagree:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 16 Oct 2015, 18:14

Panda Tar wrote:Now, how to know what's really fixed? :disagree:
What happens when you play? That's how I am basing my judgments. My experience isn't the only one in the world, and I'll take note of problems other have and red flags to share with friends considering a purchase. But I always feel like first-hand experience is more valuable than what someone else says.

If someone asks me if this game is worth buying and I know of a bug that was supposed to be fixed in 1.2 that does not affect me but still affects others, I will be honest about that.

Edited to add context for this thread.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 18 Oct 2015, 22:10

I played one campaign and was already bored with this game. Sorry to say, it's not even the bugs that kill my enjoyment, it's the lackluster units, terribly ugly GUI, empty big adventure maps and battle maps with tiny little units and places on it. Even in HOMMIV everything was bright and cheery and "magical" for a lack of better words - you could instantly know what was a Gold Mine and what was a Fairy Ring or some unit dwelling. Here, everything is just... generic. I still confuse the three new resources and their mines, they are not unique enough. But frankly, this is a problem that started with Heroes V - going 3D wasn't a good move for the series. It can be done right even when you can rotate the map - see King's Bounty - but Ubisoft just did not choose the right design and aesthetics for this.
Another problem is with the units and battles... it's going through the motions, instead of being well thought-out and interesting. Remember Heroes IV's spell-casting units like Genies and Fairy Dragons? Now that was innovative. Here, I look at units like the Priest or CHaplain or whatstheirname in the Haven roster, and wonder just... what does this unit gives my army? Removes negative conditions? Sure, OK. Ranged Retaliation? Kinda... out of the blue. Are elderly priests faster with reaction shots than elves? As I said, everything is kinda random here. Like the Rakshasa Rajah - it already has no retaliation, and someone just added "area attack! we are not sure how big that area is!" to it, just... because. The end result is something that is waaaay too powerful. :wall:
Pol wrote:First I read it: "People are working to get additional stress for free..." :)
LOL! Too true. And yeah, I get enough stress at work, I don't need to experience it in my games too - like that terrible Retribution spell bug I mentioned. I'd rather play games where if the AI beats me, he does it fair and square without the help of unbalanced skills or bugs.

crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby crislevin » 21 Oct 2015, 12:55

Panda Tar wrote:In SC, some people are still complaining about issues listed that should have been fixed, but it's not, at least for their particular reason. Now, how to know what's really fixed? :disagree:
it is unfortunate, but it seems a de-install and reinstall is what's needed for some.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Oct 2015, 13:03

Yes, but that wouldn't be the worst of it, actually. What's bad it's when a patch fixes a certain problem for some, and for others that problem lingers. Reinstalling things is kind of a pick-nick these days. :D More often that not you must do that for something. At least they started addressing that memory leak problem. If the memory leak problem was only being caused by that, that is. But I think the out of sync matter in multiplayer is one of the issues that's causing most of the commotion since the beginning. They should address that asap.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Humakt » 28 Oct 2015, 08:52

I'd say it is especially if they iron out majority of the remaining bugs and improve AI and editor (at least performance) . Hard to say anything about balance yet (played only couple maps so far). Also I care only about cooperative hotseat and scenarios, so I haven't really spent time on campaigns or multiplayer to say anything about those. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with H7, it just needs polishing and bug spray (majority of the bugs I've seen are visual).

It has a definitive HoMM feel to it.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Oct 2015, 11:51

I think that unless I post-pone my review for quite a long while, I should set one grade for the game as it is, and one "potential" grade. Got the idea from the ability measurement system in Football Manager. :D
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 28 Oct 2015, 15:19

Kalah wrote:I think that unless I post-pone my review for quite a long while
I think you should review it honestly for what it is as soon as possible after release but mention that potential. Just don't make the mistake I made with the launch of FFXIV; after Square Enix flew me out to San Francisco to play with the developers, I gave them too much credit for potential. My original review (and forgive the broken HTML on that page) didn't accurately reflect the issues the product had at launch. Today, most people accept that FFXIV: ARR is a great game, but my review was not on target.

As for MMH7, I think it is a good game with some minor bugs. It is not groundbreaking, but I agree with Humakt in that it clearly feels like a HOMM game, and that makes me happy.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 28 Oct 2015, 16:04

I'd be really curious to know more about why some of you guys claim h7 "feels like a homm game", because I disagree, unless you also think h6 feels like one, in such case we probably have nothing to discuss.

Madaxe
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Madaxe » 28 Oct 2015, 19:02

I'd be really curious to know more about why some of you guys claim h7 "feels like a homm game", because I disagree, unless you also think h6 feels like one, in such case we probably have nothing to discuss.
I am enjoying the game quite a bit. Well, "feels like a homm game", is a pretty subjective statement just in and of itself. All I can answer is to my own subjective likes/dislikes. I too didn't like H6 at all. Didn't even buy any of the expansions. Things I disliked about H6 that I can remember, (there were probably more :devious: )
  • Battles - easily accessible resurrection for factions = tedious battles
  • Spells as skills
  • non-random skill system
  • 3 tiers instead of 7 for creatures
  • reduction of resources
  • No Sim Turns for Multiplayer
  • The carryover artifact thingy that you could start a map with...whatever that was called
So, in H7, these were fixed in a way that was satisfying to me (at least in principle/intent....I know MP is completely broken as of right now). For instance, the three tiers having one each in core and elite that are more powerful, works just fine for me. It was a solution that made me forget the pain of not having 7 levels of creatures. In addition, I am just having fun exploring, learning the skills/spells, building the towns, etc. It has that "one more turn" fun to me. I know it was released in a poor state, and some things still aren't working, and if development ended today, H7 would go down as a game I enjoyed for only a short time. But, if development continues as it appears to be, H7 could end up being one of my favorite Heroes games, right up there with H5 and H3. Is it perfect? No...but neither were the other ones for me either, but I still thoroughly enjoyed them.

Another thing is that some of the short comings in many people's view just aren't that important to me personally. The Lore/Campaigns being the biggest. Just not important to me. Or the names of the resources. I would have preferred the old names, but in the end I don't really care. It won't bug me or stop me from enjoying the gameplay. But, I fully understand that what is important to me or what makes a "Heroes" game to me may not be to someone else or they have different priority levels than mine.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2015, 19:49

Madaxe wrote:Well, "feels like a homm game", is a pretty subjective statement just in and of itself.

But, I fully understand that what is important to me or what makes a "Heroes" game to me may not be to someone else or they have different priority levels than mine.
Yeah, these two are basically why so many people diverge these days. ;)

I cannot say if this game feels like anything, since I didn't buy it. The same I can say about H5. To me, that's when things started going awry in my awareness of the game. It was ok, but I could not get it as the others, and pretty much I felt down with some of the features I most liked in H4 being cut out.

H6 I played the demo or beta, dunno what was back then, and the game didn't feel like anything. The most alarming stuff that made me aghast were some of those you listed too. However, town conversion, creature pooling (by town portal) and this zoning areas were the ones I hated the most, aside that skill system mingled with spells and low level cap...

Anyway, when H7 was being announced, they started 'fixing' things I didn't like, such as this town conversion, zoning areas got some tweaks. But again, there they were cutting new features from old games instead of trying to work around another solution, polished one, which could make it work. I might be wrong, but that transpires to me lack of interest and daring. In H6, it seems they failed to understand the successful features of the old installments (particularly of each installment) and develop new features which would work with those, add to them, polish them if possible. Instead, they messed with things which already worked and were treasured, brought about bad implementation of them, added features which were rather poor overall and then, well, results speak for themselves.

H7 have the air that they got scared of doing anything really new and, yet, failed to attempt grasping the individual praises of the old and, based on that, polish and create and add to that in H7. I cannot see, again, I might be wrong, anything, ANYTHING in H7 that I could say: "They added to the series! I want to see that feature in the next game! The old games could have this!"; something that even could compel someone to get to those mods of H3 and H5 and they implementing it because it is so damn good/fun!

No. Instead, we have this game, which can be fairly level with some others, but it doesn't shine alone, and will never cast a shadow of its own over the others whatsoever.

:shh: And I'm sorry, here I am babbling about all that again. :ashamed:

P.S.: why am I unable to delete that other post? I'm not finding the function to do so? Where is it?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Oct 2015, 21:02

Deleting? That's a mod function. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2015, 22:47

Yes, Pol told me we can only delete our last post before being replied, right? I double posted there by mistake. CH refreshed when I posted, then it got back at edition without my post, then I posted by mistake. Then I was afraid of losing all my edition and jumped back to the edition to find my post and posted again before trying to delete, because I wasn't sure if I would be able to jump back the page with my edited post. :D

And said function would still be applied it seems, given that I cannot delete this one either. ^^

Return to “Heroes VII”