Ubisoft accused of deceptive marketing for h7

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Ubisoft accused of deceptive marketing for h7

Unread postby Galaad » 12 Oct 2015, 21:00

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/10/12/ubisoft-accused-of-deceptive-marketing-for-heroes-of-might-and-magic-7?abthid=561bf8c2e657508d6b000013.
Ubisoft wrote:We understand that some customers in North America were not aware the Collector’s Edition delivered digital versions of the game and soundtrack.
If you say so.

lol

jeff

Re: Ubisoft accused of deceptive marketing for h7

Unread postby jeff » 12 Oct 2015, 21:21

So let me get this straight; in the US you get everything but the discs? :jester:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 12 Oct 2015, 21:56

I'd like my collector digital content please :jester:

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 12 Oct 2015, 22:08

jeff wrote:So let me get this straight; in the US you get everything but the discs? :jester:
everything but the game, period,
apparently there's nothing playabe in that box, just an unusable key which has to be specifically sent to Ubisoft and activated manually by some lackey on individual request to download the game lol

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 Oct 2015, 22:20

That's really weird ... if they made all that stuff in the US market, why not just make the DVDs too..? Don't the Americans have the technology to print DVDs?

This kind of thing is what we Norwegians refer to as "a storm in a water glass" - meaning it's a small thing made into a big thing. In all honesty, the size of the day 1 patch is so huge that DVDs are a bit redundant anyway, but on the othe hand, this kind of thing just makes you think: "Come on, Ubisoft, you promised us discs, what is wrong with you?!"
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 12 Oct 2015, 22:24

Kalah wrote:This kind of thing is what we Norwegians refer to as "a storm in a water glass" - meaning it's a small thing made into a big thing.
Well go tell that to the lad who just spent 100 bucks over the CE then doesn't even have the game. You don't ****ing screw with your customers, end of story.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Oct 2015, 00:39

Someone said something about protective laws in Europe which demands people getting their DVDs or whatever. But I'm not sure that in USA they have a law that makes them not getting what they want either ... I don't know what's like ordering it to Brazil. You probably get a banana instead.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Oct 2015, 02:05

Nah... you'll get a lemon. Because that's clearly what this is.

I think what Kalah means, is not that customers are being unfair (although it seems as though Ubisoft is blaming fans for their expectations again). He means it's an unnecessary storm.

Ubisoft didn't need to create that storm, but they did. The collectors' version of a game, and no game. Just like the makers of this game, no heart and no soul. They screwed up again because they aren't fans of their own products so they don't think like fans and what fans want.

How do you produce an entertainment product when you have absolutely no interest in it? Does anyone think that George Romero is indifferent to Zombies, or Michael Bay does not care about robots?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Oct 2015, 02:57

People's reaction, I think, reflects their state of trust on publisher and developer. Would you expect them to storm like that if they had a problem with a company they cherished a lot? I wouldn't. They would keep it civil and patiently await for a solution. Given that Ubi is no novice in screwing up things, and having released many games in a poor state for years now, they lack trust and sympathy. I think its only natural that at the smallest problem they show now, storms will happen, but that's basically because they left their company reach a level of doubt upon the quality of their products. I believe that back then, when Ubi was trustworthy in its words, people didn't react like that. Given that it's going worse and worse, I think people also understood that being civil wasn't bringing fair results. Now, we have this.

It's just like that saying that you reap what you sow.
Last edited by Panda Tar on 13 Oct 2015, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 13 Oct 2015, 05:52

Galaad wrote:... You don't ****ing screw with your customers, end of story.
Subscribing here.

So, Ubi had released an unfinished product, and now they are selling the same product without the... product. F@ck them.
Panda Tar wrote:... reap what you sow.

Wlf2kme
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wlf2kme » 13 Oct 2015, 06:31

Whoa! The cake is a lie :-)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Oct 2015, 07:59

Panda Tar wrote:Someone said something about protective laws in Europe which demands people getting their DVDs or whatever. But I'm not sure that in USA they have a law that makes them not getting what they want either ...
As you can see from Ubisoft's response (they're backing down, offering refunds), the law in the U.S. is quite clear: what you see (in the ads) must be what you get.

There was a problem in the past with licensing; Ubisoft Europe not being the same company as Ubisoft USA (or something), that was the reason the H6 edition was not launched on discs in the US. I thought that problem had been solved, but apparently not ...
cjlee wrote:I think what Kalah means, is not that customers are being unfair (...). He means it's an unnecessary storm. Ubisoft didn't need to create that storm, but they did.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I have clarified my opinion further in the news, but the point is that even though this may not be a huge deal in practice, it's misrepresentation. U.S. customers (in particular) have a big issue with that. Ubisoft could easily have avoided this by either making discs (my suggestion) or, if that was not possible, at least be clear about it from the start.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 13 Oct 2015, 09:44

This is amazing! There are people on this planet ready to spend $100 on MnM:H7! Just mind-blowing! 8|
Erwinner wrote:apparently there's nothing playabe in that box
How dare you say that! :devil: You can play with the box. There are those shiny pieces of paper. You can play with them all day long! :D
Panda Tar wrote:Would you expect them to storm like that if they had a problem with a company they cherished a lot? I wouldn't. They would keep it civil and patiently await for a solution.
I agree. I sincerely believe that toilet paper producers are more passionate about their product than Ubi about H7.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 13 Oct 2015, 11:07

Dalai wrote:How dare you say that! :devil: You can play with the box. There are those shiny pieces of paper. You can play with them all day long! :D
lol that's a good one, let's face it though, even if Heroes 7 was in the box there still wouldn't be anything playable in it lol

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Oct 2015, 13:44

You guys had me laughing. As I'd said, Ubisoft is a very nice name for a toilet paper brand.

And Dalai, don't forget that many millions of people voted for George Bush II. Dumb people are everywhere; that's how a dishonest manufacturer of 'games' that can't be played can stay in business.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 13 Oct 2015, 14:33

Erwinner wrote:lol that's a good one, let's face it though, even if Heroes 7 was in the box there still wouldn't be anything playable in it lol
No argument here :D
cjlee wrote:And Dalai, don't forget that many millions of people voted for George Bush II. Dumb people are everywhere; that's how a dishonest manufacturer of 'games' that can't be played can stay in business.
I can't claim to be an expert on George Bush II, but we here had our own share of rulers who were a pitiful disgrace for a country. But even knowing how bad the choice was, I can't say that people are dumb "en masse" (rather susceptible or suggestible), because the alternative candidate was not any better.

Of course it can not be related to gaming, as we have a very wide choice of quality games. That is why people ready to pay $100 for MnM:H7 surprise me.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

BlackDragonSlayer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby BlackDragonSlayer » 16 Oct 2015, 00:14

I can't say I'm surprised at all that this is happening. I expected about as much...

Return to “Heroes VII”