So is this game worth buying?

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: So is this game worth buying?

Unread postby Kalah » 08 Oct 2015, 10:02

Thanks, I'll try that - although my PC at this point should be able to handle anything.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 09 Oct 2015, 10:19

Hey Dan I don't understand, I thought you were developer, but in HC your status says "Community Manager", and here "Game Designer"??

gomaki
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gomaki » 09 Oct 2015, 10:41

Hey Galaad.
Think it's just semantics with in title. I do more than just community manage but this is my primary roll right now.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 09 Oct 2015, 14:41

Kalah wrote:my PC at this point should be able to handle anything.
Famous last words! If you know what I mean :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 09 Oct 2015, 21:42

Completely off-topic, but god damn; quotes break the forum layout pretty damn hardcore with javascript disabled.

And seemingly only if it's the last post that has a quote??
test patrol wrote:test
Ah, it has to be a named (
someone wrote:) quote.

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 10 Oct 2015, 03:04

wimfrits wrote:I'm so very said reading all this. Really had my hopes up high. I'll refrain from buying the game just yet.
You sure are optimistic wimfrits. I didn't have high hopes going into the release, so the game being decidedly average (6.1-6.7 on Gamerankins and Metacritic last I saw) didn't really affect me. I'll just play some other game like I have been doing :)
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Oct 2015, 17:59

Banedon wrote: You sure are optimistic wimfrits. I didn't have high hopes going into the release, so the game being decidedly average (6.1-6.7 on Gamerankins and Metacritic last I saw) didn't really affect me. I'll just play some other game like I have been doing :)
You mean this is NOT the end of the world? ;)
Yeah I guess you're right. I'll stick to D3 for now.
But I still like to keep an open mind and see what developers are able to pull off in upcoming patches.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 11 Oct 2015, 01:46

Considering your standards wimfrits, you should fight with both hands tied behind your back. AI is reportedly so bad, a gamer of your caliber might be able to beat it with only your starting troops for every map.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 11 Oct 2015, 08:13

I see. Like you I plan on waiting out quite some development cycles hoping the game will improve sufficiently.

You know, the thing that struck me the most in this discussion was that even Mr Positive Panda has turned sour 8|
I never thought I'd see that happen. Someone needs to stay optimistic :-D
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Oct 2015, 22:12

Yeah, you see how far they managed to make things turn out, now, wimfrits. ^^
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Oct 2015, 03:10

wimfrits wrote: so the game being decidedly average (6.1-6.7)
I've heard several people describe a score of 6/10 as average. I don't get it. That's a D. How would you feel if you got a D on a test? C's aren't even transferable here.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 12 Oct 2015, 05:01

Banedon wrote:
wimfrits wrote:I'm so very said reading all this. Really had my hopes up high. I'll refrain from buying the game just yet.
You sure are optimistic wimfrits. I didn't have high hopes going into the release, so the game being decidedly average (6.1-6.7 on Gamerankins and Metacritic last I saw) didn't really affect me. I'll just play some other game like I have been doing :)
I read much lower ratings elsewhere. But the general concensus is, as Totalbiscuit says too: it's an average Heroes game with tons of bugs and balance issues that doesn't give you anything really new, so... why not play some of the older, better made games like III or V which do the same and have no such issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74GRowG4SSc

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 12 Oct 2015, 14:51

mr.hackcrag wrote:
wimfrits wrote: so the game being decidedly average (6.1-6.7)
I've heard several people describe a score of 6/10 as average. I don't get it. That's a D. How would you feel if you got a D on a test? C's aren't even transferable here.
I think you're overly harsh, or perhaps you have a different educational background compared to me. In my experience, 80-100 is "A", 60-80 is "B", 40-60 is "C", and so on. So a score of 60 is completely average. In the same way sites that provide such scores often say 6 is 'fair', i.e. average. 6 is a fair score for MMH6 in my opinion. That game wasn't good, but there are worse games out there too. That said, man MMH7 looks similar to MMH6. Things like the combat screen are immediately recognizable, which does not bode well. It doesn't bode well either how the first patch is coming out so soon. Why publish a game one knows is seriously flawed? Why not give it more time?

There have been reviews that gave MMH7 as high a score as 88, but there have also been reviews that gave it 40+. The consensus I've seen ties in with what BB Shockwave wrote: if one is a fan of the series, then there's an argument for playing this, but if one is new to the game, then one of the classic titles makes more sense. Well, I am a fan of the series, but I don't need more of MMH6. That game got so tedious I didn't play any scenarios after the campaigns (and even dragging myself through the campaigns was a huge chore). :disagree:

I still might buy this game someday, the most likely scenario being an expansion that receives good reviews.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

gourley4p
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby gourley4p » 12 Oct 2015, 17:12

Banedon wrote:I am a fan of the series, but I don't need more of MMH6. That game got so tedious I didn't play any scenarios after the campaigns (and even dragging myself through the campaigns was a huge chore).
I experienced the same, Banedon. The Town Portal spell in MMH6 was very broken and made conflicts with the AI a game of freeze tag. I couldn't make it through many of the campaigns because of that. So far, the MMH7 campaigns are MUCH better. A play about 95% of the time on campaigns since my wife and daughter don't play (otherwise, hot seat would be on). For me, MMH7 is a huge improvement over MMH6. Still, you should watch videos, read reviews, and consult trusted sources before making your purchasing decision.

Wlf2kme
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Wlf2kme » 13 Oct 2015, 13:10

I admit that there are quite a lot of issues with HOMM VII. Having not finished a single campaign I'm not fully qualified to make this comment, however might I note that the quite well liked HOMM V was riddled with bugs and performance issues when it first came out. Come to think of it, there still are issues with HOMM V, mainly memory issues on large maps.

And to take things on a broader scale, I don't think I've bought many games near their release date that didn't contain lots of issues. Obviously postponing the release by a month could seriously help, although commercial and contractual obligations probably make that quite hard.

As with any modern piece of technology the 'early adopters' will likely need to wait a little while for the product to mature. I'm semi-confident that it will. But if one can't cope with that, well, don't buy it just yet.

For one, I'm very glad that HOMM VII is a lot more like HOMM V than it is like HOMM VI, as the latter was truly horrible. No increased level of maturity could help out in that department.

I bought the game and I'm not sorry (yet?) :)

crislevin
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Bug reports after patch 1.2

Unread postby crislevin » 15 Oct 2015, 14:42

It is incredible. Since I know my saved game will not work, I tried to start over the Sylvan 2nd map. Now my game would not start a new campaign at all and my computer eventually freezes. This game isn't worth a penny right now as I simply can't play it at all.

Sorry about my language, but I am incredibly pissed at the moment, I can't believe I paid $50 for this months before the lunch and waited for the supposed savior patch. The impotence of the whole thing is beyond anything I have ever seen. I would be damned to pre-order or order anything from this publisher+developer team in the future.

BTW, I verified the game cache integrity in steam, It did NOT solve this and I had to force reboot my computer after that loading screen turned into death of my computer.

UPDATE: I have asked for a refund through steam, with or without refund (depends on steam), I will check back for this game in a few months when its actually becomes playable for most people. Words cannot express my regret for the franchise turning into what it is now in the hand of Ubi.

UPDATE 2:Steam refused my refund because I played 5 hrs, never mind 4 hr of which was just waiting for the game to load. I completely de-installed and re-installed the game, then did another verify integrity, now a new campaign can start, fingers crossed to see if save will be corrupted again.

This should never happen like this, patches have to be better packaged so it can patch the game properly w/o requesting additional steps that most customers don't usually do.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Oct 2015, 20:38

@crislevin: I moved your post here, as it is a general complaint rather than a specific bug report.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Bug reports after patch 1.2

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Oct 2015, 20:45

crislevin wrote: This should never happen like this, patches have to be better packaged so it can patch the game properly w/o requesting additional steps that most customers don't usually do.
Yeah, this is proving rather bad. Not everyone is checking SC to see additional info on how deal with this matter. People are left to get additional stress for free, until they manage to dig in for more information. :disagree:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 15 Oct 2015, 20:47

First I read it: "People are working to get additional stress for free..." :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Oct 2015, 20:48

:D It also makes sense, you know.

Return to “Heroes VII”