H5 Naming Random Towns

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

H5 Naming Random Towns

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 14 Sep 2015, 07:34

Hi, I've got a problem. I've been working on a multiplayer map and I added several towns belonging to each player but I made them random, not fully random, each town of one player is the same as the others of that color, also, I named the towns and gave them a custom description. But when I start the map the names and descriptions are reverted to default for the town that random ones turn into. Is there a way to maintain the names of random towns given in the editor ingame? Or is there a script for doing that (I looked but couldn't find it :wall: )?

markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: H5 Naming Random Towns

Unread postby markkur » 15 Sep 2015, 20:58

I guess I don't understand why you would choose Random if you want all the players towns to match. When I wanted the same as I "think" you described,, I picked the same faction-town and then changed the specialty and then the name and they did stick.

I tried to name a fully random town but it would not stay there in-game. I can only guess that when a town is made to be random, when the game ramps-up and then picks the town the new selection overrides any data already existing.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 16 Sep 2015, 08:38

markkur wrote:I guess I don't understand why you would choose Random if you want all the players towns to match. When I wanted the same as I "think" you described,, I picked the same faction-town and then changed the specialty and then the name and they did stick.
Because, let's say that player 1 has 3 towns from the start, from my point of view it would be idiotic to make them all different. The same logic is applied to player 2 and player 3. So, you choose your faction at the start of the game and all 3 of your towns are of the same kind, they belong to that faction. Different players' towns are not related this way to eachother, for example, player one and player two may or may not be of the same faction, but their respective towns of the faction they choose at the begining.
I didn't want to restrict players from playing factions they want, that's why towns are random.

But, then, I guess that it is impossible to alter the names and descriptions of random towns because as you noted, game just overrides them at the begining.

I will try with script command OverrideObjectTooltipNameAndDescription but I doubt it will work...

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 16 Sep 2015, 13:35

I got ya now. Yeah, when I wanted each player to have a string of a matching random towns, it bugged me too that new names didn't stick. I think it has to be because you cannot archive a file that the game will call up when randomzing <LOL>towns at start.

Btw, I tried not using the nice town window for changes (just in case there could be a different save location) and edited the map-property line instead but ofc that's where the town-window saves.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 16 Sep 2015, 16:01

markkur wrote:I got ya now. Yeah, when I wanted each player to have a string of a matching random towns, it bugged me too that new names didn't stick. I think it has to be because you cannot archive a file that the game will call up when randomzing <LOL>towns at start.

Btw, I tried not using the nice town window for changes (just in case there could be a different save location) and edited the map-property line instead but ofc that's where the town-window saves.
Well, I still havent got around trying to script it like I said (I teach geography in elemetary school back here in Serbia, so I'm kind of bussy) but I'll leave a reply if it works.

The point is I really wanted to save towns by their names and write a custom description since I'm making a geographic map(s) to implement game into my teaching (kids these days don't like reading a book), so now I'm creating a map of Ukraine and I wanted towns to bear names of the actual towns and to have description to match some of the history of the actual towns. But I guess I'll have to find a workaround since it appears it's impossible to do it the way I tried.

Maybe I just replace random towns with a certain faction or something.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 17 Sep 2015, 16:13

I made a map like that for my home-state in H3, it is fun to do.

I guess if it were me, I'd just go with set-towns and forget the hassles. <VBG> Surely you have Orcs, Demons and Necros on your borders. <LOL>...just kidding.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 17 Sep 2015, 16:55

Actually I've set two border garissons near eachother (not too close), one belonging to one country and the other to the other. As guards I like to place monsters that have no retaliation policy against them or retaliate unlimited times (grifins, hell hounds) or creatures that attack two times (slayer, minotaur, elven archers...), anyway I put the same ammount on each side and whoever defeats it will be able to invade (but will probably suffer heavy loss in army) son not invading very deep. But if he retreats he'll have his own garisson to protect him from retaliating opponent. And so on... the map is still in development faze, the relief and rivers have all been placed, borders, towns, mines, vegetation, I just have to place some artifacts on the map with corresponding guardians and after the playtest it will be ready to be played.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 17 Sep 2015, 22:58

Milos Gajic wrote:Actually I've set two border garissons near eachother ...I put the same ammount on each side...
I did the same for years. Either I put the same number of creatures for each level of the 7 faction-units or I put in an identical force of neutrals. I like both routes but I realized later that the one neutral army for the garrisons was more fair to each player, since units-per-level do not have the same hitpoints between them. So, since I prefer the idea that a faction defends it's own garrisons and then I use neutral armies in the disputed parts of the maps, to keep the things fair I start off with numbers but then tweak the numbers to total hitpoints. It is far from hugely important I guess :D but you might go that route and try it, if you have not yet.

Cheers.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 18 Sep 2015, 22:12

Finally I've tried to script the names of the random towns but it didn't work, so it's answered (I guess), you can not change random town's name and/or description.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”