Factions line-up

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Factions line-up

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 17 Aug 2015, 02:04

I'm sorry if I did not write it clearly, I'm usually better with that - not Ubi is devoid of quality - I meant workers who are directly crafting the design of the game are not bringing it up to top tier status. Whether that has to do with money, talent, organization, time... who knows - Asha uses all. :devil:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Aug 2015, 05:41

Asha spends all, it seems.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Aug 2015, 08:30

Yeah, I agree that things could be done better, but it has to do with the budget, I reckon. If you were given a limited budget to do your job, there would be limits too; you could probably do better with more time and money.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 17 Aug 2015, 14:19

Galaad wrote:
Antalyan wrote:It would be really difficult to add some new faction to the world. They did it in H6 and than had (and I expect they still have) many problems with it, because people will start to ask: why this faction was not mentioned in the previous titles? How about its connections with the others?
I don't think so. As far as I could witness Sanctuary has been very welcomed by most and even Fortress got an amount of supporters I didn't expect, considering the extremely dull line-up it had in h5.
Maybe these factions were welcomed because they fit quite well to the whole Ashan word. If the new faction is hated by fans (I have read some ideas about bug faction which i really hate :)), the game has much lower chance to succeed.

Nevertheless, creating a new faction is every time a bit risky as well as money consuming.
You need to invent whole faction, its culture, habits, units. You can´t reuse some old models just because it is a new faction.

So to be honest, I don´t see much reasons why would Ubi do it again, although most of fans would probably welcome it.
Wryn Pendragon Umbranacer community H7 project: http://wpu.worldofheroes.cz/indexEN.html
H7 Unoffical Community Mod

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Aug 2015, 15:20

Maybe because they limited the game with its lore. Now, coming up with different things become harder and harder (if we disregard costs, that is), specially because lore-fanatics will ask about the whys and won'ts nothing was mentioned before, etc.

Either way, I'll play Dota 2. \o/
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 17 Aug 2015, 17:01

I liked the H2 times when no explanation was necessary why hobbits and titans were united in killing dragons. Especially with Ubi era lore, lore is best left to the imagination of the players.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Aug 2015, 17:39

H2 is yet my favorite overall speaking, whilst I played H4 the most. H2 was so fun when there was no mandatory balance between units and factions. Some had upgrades, others not. Sometimes they were expensive, sometimes cheap (upgrading was a bit unfair considering ogres and giants). Humans relied only on themselves (and I found them one of the most fun to play with, not having angels and 300 HP units...). Most of the upgrades made more sense than after that, animals usually didn't upgrade, while things which logically would evolve with class or some sort of training would do. That was the simplest most effective upgrade system so far, imho. And yes, the less lore involvement helped a lot. ^^

H4 I found it was fun because it was different from usual, and I like the involvement of heroes in battle, something that many people abhor.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 17 Aug 2015, 21:27

Kalah wrote:I think we all have to face the fact that Heroes games will never have AAA budgets. They just don't have a wide enough consumer base.
Come to think, Ubi has interesting marketing strategy: they loose more customers than they gain new ones. Of course I have no proof, but I'm firmly convinced the series would be much more profitable if they didn't loose god knows how many people's interest in their games ever since they took over.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Aug 2015, 21:40

I'm not sure about those numbers either (they would be interesting to see), but I'm fairly sure that if some customers are lost, new ones are coming in. There has to be some kind of profit margin that convinces the brass that the franchise is worth continuing. If there was nothing but red numbers, they'd have shut the whole thing down long ago.

But again ... it's not that the Heroes games in themselves are bad, I just don't think turn-based games will ever reach AAA status. That's reserved for things that play equally well on several platforms.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 18 Aug 2015, 00:16

What is undeniable though is it could have only done some good if they kept the old fan base behind them, both for their profit and reputation.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Aug 2015, 18:30

Possible. But we should also take into consideration that the old fan base is just that: old. The age of the players from the 1990s is climbing and to stay fresh and alive, new games have to appeal to younger players. While I myself personally prefer the H4 "2,5D" adventure map, I must concede that using proper 3D graphics is the way to go if you want to achieve this.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 19 Aug 2015, 09:22

And did Ubisoft achive this? Somehow I am not sure...

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 19 Aug 2015, 16:12

Kalah wrote:Possible. But we should also take into consideration that the old fan base is just that: old. The age of the players from the 1990s is climbing and to stay fresh and alive, new games have to appeal to younger players. While I myself personally prefer the H4 "2,5D" adventure map, I must concede that using proper 3D graphics is the way to go.
You may have seen my thread about Bloodstained Ritual. Most of the new Castlevania games that came out were not at all like the original 2D side scrollers that made the series so famous and endearing to fans. The original developer was told similar things to what you wrote - that it's the 2015 and people don't want 2D and gameplay style in the vein of the original games. They kept the original developer of Castlevania away from the series for years as the company kept releasing sequels that left fans disappointed. Finally, he left the company and started the Kickstarter for Bloodstained. On the first day, it was the most financially successful Kickstarter of all time until Shenmue surpassed it shortly after. I'm glad he was vindicated after the shortsightedness of Konami.

We may be aging players, but quality transcends generations.
Kalah wrote:using proper 3D graphics
Have seen the models? 8|

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Aug 2015, 17:50

I miss games such as Castlevania, designed that way. I'm having a very good time playing Ori and the Blind Forest. :D

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 19 Aug 2015, 18:14

It's not only about 3D.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 20 Aug 2015, 06:23

Panda Tar wrote:... I'm having a very good time playing Ori and the Blind Forest. :D
A fantastic game!

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 21 Aug 2015, 11:06

Dungeon town screen is not that exciting. And that dragon in the town screen... so much for saving it. :devil: Well, it was not the one I voted for.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 21 Aug 2015, 12:06

Panda Tar wrote:I miss games such as Castlevania, designed that way. I'm having a very good time playing Ori and the Blind Forest. :D
Is the PC edition limited to Steam?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Aug 2015, 14:32

I think it is. And you better have a X-box controller (which I still haven't, so I'm saving a bit to buy one to keep playing, given my generic controller cannot be adapted properly to play the game, so I'm required to play with a controller having the keyboard below my hands to push Shift and W, because these two commands won't execute in controller :rolleyes:), given some parts are required to use all your abilities in succession, combining movements. It's quite entertaining. ^^ This is one part of the game that I had to play pressing controller and keyboard buttons alternately. It was soooo damn tough, especially because I started this part with low life. Then I decided buying the X-box controller to play it properly (and get the opportunity to use the controller for other games which also has X-box controller as default, which I happen to have in my Library).

And I apologize for the off-topic thing :offtopic:

And, for those who haven't see, one of the old favorites H3 heroes is back, Darkstorm. But now, he does resemble a ... a ... what does he resemble again?

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 21 Aug 2015, 14:42

Angry Blue Bull :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Heroes VII”