Factions line-up

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Factions line-up

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Aug 2015, 18:23

Panda Tar wrote:What, TT, wanted Hydra Queen? Or Queens with that many heads ... or Sisters, Princesses. :tongue:
Chaos Hydra worked for me...

It's by no means great, but it would do.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Aug 2015, 18:27

Here are the Dungeon heroes:

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/ ... gic-heroes

https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/ ... ght-heroes

Heh, Shade Weaver... Shadow Weaver just sounds better. And no Shadowblade, but Darkblade and Shadow Slayer...

They really need to hire someone with some literary skills... or, you know, just steal stuff from H4's name table... that thing had like a million hero "types".

EDIT: And the faction skill: https://mmh7.ubi.com/en/blog/post/view/ ... of-malassa

That's actually an interesting new mechanic.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 14 Aug 2015, 23:24

I vote for Sister's Princess ( = regarding the faction, of of them would be evil). In all seriousness if exists Ogre-Girl in Kings Bounty, who si invurnerable, jumping on the battlefield like a small kid (whenever being a girl) throwing bombs at enemies. Why we cannot get anything creative here?

No need to mention, that after bombs are placed, she reverts into her original form, and that is mini ogre with direct hand ability. :D

If there's is no creativity spirit Chaos Hydra would suffice, just use classic please.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 15 Aug 2015, 15:52

Dungeon heroes look incredible! I was not expecting to be impressed. 8| Nice job. Now we just wait for crappy 3D models undoing that favorable impression. ;)

No retal and double/multi hits are some of the best unit abilities in the game so I wonder how they're going to balance that with their faction skills and having a ton of units with those abilities.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 15 Aug 2015, 16:40

Yes, not to mention that Racial ability which makes them able to pass through other units and use the Flanking mechanism for bonus damage. Well, if there was an Equilibris mod for this H7 game, it would take generations to make the game playable (or interesting HOHO).
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 15 Aug 2015, 16:47

I'm starting to think I'm the only one but I strongly dislike the looks of Dungeon heroes. In fact, I dislike the looks of all heroes, but the ones from Dungeon even more.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 16 Aug 2015, 00:37

I'm not a fan of those visuals from Dungeon heroes. Comparing to the others, it was the design I felt less odd, although I do remember vampires and fancy fantasy parties, with masks and everything, specially due the colors.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Aug 2015, 06:41

The dungeon ones have a slightly different art style than the others. I think that's the first thing that struck me and why I found it appealing. I'd eat 1000 cabirs in order to get a different art style for the series.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Aug 2015, 11:43

It's a catch-22, isn't it; if Ubisoft decide to create entirely new factions and towns, leaving the old stuff behind, there'd be lots of screaming from the fans. On the other hand they want innovation ... I think introducing single factions like the Sanctuary might be the way to go, but that don't stop fans moaning about single factions they're unhappy with.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 16 Aug 2015, 12:35

Well if we're dissatisfied why shouldn't we say so?
I agree new factions such as Sanctuary are safer since weren't existent in original games so at least no legacy issues.
I'd eat 1000 cabirs in order to get a different art style for the series.
______ :lolu: :tsup:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Aug 2015, 13:14

Yeah but you see their problem: if they launched only new factions, fans would scream: "Nooo where is my Dungeon/Haven/Academy/Sylvan/Inferno I refuse to play without them!" :loll:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 16 Aug 2015, 13:37

Here's a crazy idea: give more budget to the franchise so we can have both classics AND new factions. 8|
Also you're not being very fair towards criticism, I do not see why we should accept silly or out of place creatures, especially when they replace staples (Bambi instead of Unicorn, weird Miyazaki-like construct instead of Manticore...).

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Aug 2015, 14:18

Like I mentioned before, if they're doing 8 creatures per faction, 4 new and 4 old (or 3:5) would be a good balance; even if just reshuffling certain units into different factions. Every new addition to the series should have at least one brand new faction.

Antalyan
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Antalyan » 16 Aug 2015, 15:01

mr.hackcrag wrote:Like I mentioned before, if they're doing 8 creatures per faction, 4 new and 4 old (or 3:5) would be a good balance; even if just reshuffling certain units into different factions. Every new addition to the series should have at least one brand new faction.
It would be really difficult to add some new faction to the world. They did it in H6 and than had (and I expect they still have) many problems with it, because people will start to ask: why this faction was not mentioned in the previous titles? How about its connections with the others?

Also, the faction can't be to similar to the existing ones. I still have a small problem with both nagas and sea elves, I cannot find much differences between them.

And finally, do you mean new models or completely new units? I think that both is impossible.
Wryn Pendragon Umbranacer community H7 project: http://wpu.worldofheroes.cz/indexEN.html
H7 Unoffical Community Mod

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 16 Aug 2015, 15:07

Antalyan wrote:It would be really difficult to add some new faction to the world. They did it in H6 and than had (and I expect they still have) many problems with it, because people will start to ask: why this faction was not mentioned in the previous titles? How about its connections with the others?
I don't think so. As far as I could witness Sanctuary has been very welcomed by most and even Fortress got an amount of supporters I didn't expect, considering the extremely dull line-up it had in h5.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Aug 2015, 16:34

I think we all have to face the fact that Heroes games will never have AAA budgets. They just don't have a wide enough consumer base. When even AAA games are re-using models and animations, it's to be expected that the Heroes devs have to as well. If you want all original creatures with all new animations and models, we'd end up with a game with two or three factions, that's all they'd be able to afford. I'm happy they're trying to develop new factions and such, but we also have to keep in mind a certain lore; it would be difficult to place entirely new creature lineups into existing factions since they don't fit into a timeline, and all-new towns would be too expensive to develop.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Aug 2015, 17:17

Antalyan wrote: Also, the faction can't be to similar to the existing ones. I still have a small problem with both nagas and sea elves, I cannot find much differences between them.
I think the main difference is that one has a snake body with many arms and the other has pointy ears and smokes weed. ;)

Well this "can't do" attitude that's being expressed is kind of surprising. Either they want to make a high quality game and will invest in it or they don't. Clearly they don't and I predict that this release will mark another subpar game that is met with ire which is a shame because they could be making serious money off this series if they took advantage of it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Aug 2015, 18:37

mr.hackcrag wrote:Well this "can't do" attitude that's being expressed is kind of surprising. Either they want to make a high quality game and will invest in it or they don't.
That doesn't quite hit the mark, actually. The fact is, there are segments within the game production world just like there is in other production areas: some car makers want to make a cheap and relatively reliable car while some want to make a car that's as good as a car can be. The latter will, naturally, be more expensive. In the gaming world, there are some games that are being made with huge investment and some that are being made on a low or medium-sized budget. The low-budget games aren't necessarily of low quality, but they will of course not have the same level of features that AAA games have. There are levels between "cheap" and "AAA" games too.

Expectations should be set in relation to the budget. They set the budget according to expected sales, and it is expected that the developers deliver a game that is good in quality relative to that budget. We see this very clearly with MMX; Limbic weren't given a very high budget, and delivered a decent game with what they had. Of course, had they had millions more to work with, the may have delivered a higher quality game.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Aug 2015, 20:24

I bet they'll still sell it at AAA prices. :tongue:

Well, if this is all about money, then HoMM will never be stellar. But I don't think it's just about money. I think there is something within the company that is a limiting factor for the excellence of the game.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 16 Aug 2015, 20:48

I think that's wrong and the proof is evident: Ubisoft are producing other games - huge AAA titles like Assassin's Creed. And as for quality: you find good and bad games in virtually all producers' portfolios.

Return to “Heroes VII”