Welcome to HEROIC!

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Welcome to HEROIC!

Unread postby Panda Tar » 19 Sep 2011, 00:15

Heroic is a project of a Tabletop RPG-strategy game intending to propose a wide range of features that are, at the same time, easy to follow and deep rooted in flexibility of playing-through.

Initially born from HoMM and MM premises, it now follows its own path, still showing many characteristics of a fantasy game, but adding and changing many features which looked flawed or uninteresting in HoMM/MM universe.
Last edited by Panda Tar on 02 May 2014, 16:31, edited 7 times in total.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 21 Sep 2011, 22:35

Hi there!

Thank you for inviting me to this inner inner circle of sorts. ;)

I’d just like to get some more info on the kind of game that we are building. When Panda Tar first invited me, in my enthusiasm, I glossed over the word tabletop. I just went on the design titbits that he had presented in the Heroic threads. Now that I’ve read through all the topics here, I confess that I really have no idea how a Heroes-style game would work in the tabletop setting. My knee jerk reaction is that it is far too complex and needs to be grossly simplified. This is what happened with the Civilization card game that I bought a few years ago – it doesn’t have anywhere near the complexity of its electronic equivalent. The ideas that I’ve seen presented thus far, particularly the skill wheel, however, don’t suggest a reduction in complexity. So I’m really curious how it will be managed so that it doesn’t overwhelm the players.

The second question that I have concerns the game’s design philosophy. Something that I’ve realised with the Heroic design is that one cannot really design factions, units, etc, without a clear sense of the direction that one wishes to take the game in, since that direction determines what effects one is trying to create and what problems one is trying to solve with the lower-level design elements. So what is the design about? What is it trying to achieve in terms of game play experience?

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 22 Sep 2011, 07:05

Fully agree with Groovy.
Just got access to here and need a bit time to get in line with all the proposals so far.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Apr 2014, 19:36

Moved back to separate forum per the request of his Pandaness. :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Apr 2014, 19:51

Thanks! :hoo: :hail:

I'm discussing with Groovy to actually focus on his project, given that he was able to continue working on it - and given that, in the end, that's what the whole thing was about: a tabletop Heroes game.

For now, it's called HEROIC.

So here we would place some mechanics to discuss, artwork, features in general after a first decision. Still firstly I must talk to Groovy to decide what would be our next step apart my decision to help with artworks and small advice/opinion here and there.

Probably doing another Announcement post to introduce his project should be necessary, then closing the others we won't use any more, to avoid any confusion.

I just need to read everything again to get a grasp of what was happening and then see if anything can be of use in this new project. I won't probably have any hindrances that will take me away for that long, then this project should move forwards faster, hopefully. :sweat:
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 26 Apr 2014, 09:13

Thank you, Panda and Kalah, for reopening this forum. And thank you, Panda, for offering to help me realise the Heroic design in the tabletop setting. It might not have seen the light of day otherwise.

I suggest creating two subforums inside Tabletop Forum, one for Heroic and the other for Realms of Might and Magic. Then the current content of Tabletop Forum can be moved to Realms, and we can use Heroic for the new content. This way, all the existing information can be available without the danger of mixing it up with new content.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 26 Apr 2014, 17:32

Yes, but after rereading all threads yesterday, I've seen that not much was done or discussed. For all I know, all other threads could be deleted. RoMM goes to the fridge from now on.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 27 Apr 2014, 11:14

Some cleaning now. Just Bestiary is left at the moment so I can peruse it again to see if anything is usable for Heroic.

Groovy, if you're out there, check that thread too.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 23 Jan 2015, 22:07

I have just created http://aia-world.wikia.com and http://aia-heroic.wikia.com . Not much content at this stage, but hopefully it will grow in the weeks and months to come.

This should make it easier to collaborate on the game and its world once the development progresses to that stage.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Mar 2015, 13:57

A note - a request, for those who are coming from HC: forget Heroes when coming here or any matter there discussed, please. It's a Heroes-based game, but it also has nothing to do with it when it comes to how the game will work, and mechanics differ in a long shot.

Keeping that in mind, take your time.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 11 Mar 2015, 14:27

Good point, Panda!

There's a bit of information on the history of the design in The Story of Heroic topic. I can supply more, if anyone is interested.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 25 Mar 2015, 21:16

Keeping a fresh mind always works better :)
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Mar 2015, 21:19

Sure thing.

I just didn't want people pouring here and asking things like: "Where's the lich? Why I don't see Kirin? Why my hero has no Logistics? Mass haste!? Can I convert towns? Must use town portal!"

Pointless things like that. Oh, I'm sure there might have lich somewhere, hohohohohoho.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 26 Mar 2015, 04:30

Lich is currently the townsfolk for the Necropolis (Undead) town. But I haven't seriously started design work for it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: Welcome to HEROIC!

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Aug 2015, 17:05

Since I'm already restructuring the forums, I'm moving stuff around. This forum can be moved to a separate subforum of another forum in here. I'm thinking ... the Heretics hall?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Re: Welcome to HEROIC!

Unread postby Groovy » 06 Aug 2015, 20:04

Sounds good to me.

Return to “Tabletop Forum”