HOMM V ToE !!!HELP!!! Missing Hero, corrupting map?!

Maps and the art of mapmaking.
Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

HOMM V ToE !!!HELP!!! Missing Hero, corrupting map?!

Unread postby Magelord » 24 Jul 2015, 07:56

I know I have seen this problem posted on the web before but as that was more than a few years ago I just can't seem to find it now.

I have been trying to make Agbeth the hero of my Warlock based map only to constantly delete the standard Warlock hero I inserted from the map editor time and time again when I couldn't pull the Agbeth's character out but now after saving the map for the 30th time with absolutely NO HEROES on the map my "check map" function keeps telling me that I have "a hero with army problems" at the exact location of the deleted hero?! No my map comes up with a greyed out "Start Game" in HOMM V ToE and is unplayable!!!

Summery:
1. No heroes on map but map says there is hero at specific location.
2. Map suddenly non-playable in game. (it shows up ok in scenario menu but START GAME menu stays grey and un-executable)

Please Help if anyone knows how to clear this error!!!

markkur
Demon
Demon

Re: HOMM V ToE !!!HELP!!! Missing Hero, corrupting map?!

Unread postby markkur » 24 Jul 2015, 11:03

I've had that happen. One problem I used to have was a Hero "somehow" was placed "at the very corner of the map." What happened then I've no idea.

Couple of "serious straw grasps" :D

1. I doubt you would/could have but...Did you change any numbers in the Hero's location-coordinates? I've had objects where I entered an incorrect number on X or Y i.e. 200 instead of 20.<L>

2. I can't remember if or how I got around this bit. Have you tried placing an object on that cell# and "Saving"? Sometimes that trick will work...and "reset" the check but you have to Save first or the checkeri will show the same error. In the past its been too easy for me to overlook that simple step.

Btw, the first moment I saw any odd behavior in the Editor I "re-pasted" all the Editor files (Editor tree only)from my back-up install. (Just make sure you've have all maps in Maps Saved somewhere else) I like the Editor but it is one big piece of Swiss Cheese.

As far as replacing the pics, that should be easy...as long as you can find the textures.

I'm going to look closer at the files today. I detest defeat!

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 24 Jul 2015, 15:06

I'm defeated...I give up.

Looking about, I decided to "force the issue" by creating a "AdvSharedHero" blahdebalh (there isn't one listed for Agbeth in the same way as the others) and inserted the file into the "Available Heroes" list inside of Map-Properties. I made it identical to all other Hero lines already there.

Upon starting the game, I received 5 Errors...the first was "Could not find Hero in the Arena" etc. After seeing these errors the game crashed. So in order to run the game I had to delete my test map. Ofc then I did a RePaste of the Editor...since I don't care for ANY remote possibility of corruption. <G>

I yield to the script or whatever that creates that mysterious character. Btw, I did look at the Map Script in Hate Breeds Hate, and although I'm no scripter, I didn't see anything that looked anything like whipping-up a Hero. I have to believe the files are there somewhere but the file-structure "naming and organization" are nightmarish to navigate.

Good luck.

Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Magelord » 25 Jul 2015, 08:02

Just WOW

Thank you for all your time and effort partner! I am in awe that you would try so hard to help me out. Thank you again!

I will try some of your above suggestions and hopefully they do the trick, I would rather have a functioning map with no special hero than a special hero on a useless map that I spent weeks developing.

Diolch Makkur!

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 25 Jul 2015, 12:26

I only wish I'd been able to help. If you figure this out...come back and post the findings.

Pob lwc! Magelord

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 25 Jul 2015, 13:36

Magelord wrote:I would rather have a functioning map with no special hero than a special hero on a useless map that I spent weeks developing.
Just an idea, can't you create an ordinary hero of the race you want and just add the face texture of the hero you want (agbeth or whichever). If this hero has his special ability identical to some other regular hero this is just a piece of cake, but if not, you could make a custom hero with custom special ability (but this is way trickier but not that complicated if you know what you're doing).

EDIT:

If you can't find his picture in the game, just google his image (I'm sure there is an image of this hero somewhere) and then just resize and convert to adequate size and format required by the editor.

Milos Gajic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Milos Gajic » 25 Jul 2015, 14:02

Magelord wrote: 1. No heroes on map but map says there is hero at specific location.
2. Map suddenly non-playable in game. (it shows up ok in scenario menu but START GAME menu stays grey and un-executable)
1. Maybe by editing the shared files of your hero you accidetaly deleted it's model file and made it invisible (just guessing here).
2. Map not playable - do you have other heroes (players) on your map? Does it have teams, check how they are configured.... Maybe the two issues arent connected if you edited anything else

Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Magelord » 25 Jul 2015, 22:07

Markkur

If I figure it out count on it buddy!

Milos Gajic

This wouldn't be the first time I replaced an in game avatar. The coding around the heroes in HOMM V with their unique specializations and shared file paths has always made that option seem a little daunting especially when there is an ingame hero that meets my needs. I have Agbeth's avatar picture as you can see in my thread just below this one "The Agbeth Problem" so finding that and sizing it is no issue I'm just not savvy enough to write it into the game. :/

As for my map There are no teams and only one human controlled castle(Dungeon) and no other hero characters on the map. Not sure if I can make a model invisible or not but something is still there. I tried Markkur's suggestion and placed a dragon and then later a building on the same spot hoping to cancel the hero out but to no avail and the map still wont work...

Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Magelord » 26 Jul 2015, 05:08

SUCCESS!!!!

Ok so it turns out my invisible hero which is still there by the way has no impact on the game whatsoever...except that he shows up as an error message in the editor every time I check the map.

So of all the stupid things it appears that under "Map properties" I had somehow deselected "ALL" Artifacts which would not allow the game to start so easy fix there.

So this thread can be locked/closed and I will continue to look for ways to find Agbeth in my other thread.

Return to “Mapmaking Guild”