New to Heroes 6.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
dixy1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New to Heroes 6.

Unread postby dixy1988 » 14 Jun 2015, 09:41

Hello there,

I have been playing Heroes games ever since I got my first computer, Pentium II, over a decade ago. I played and still am playing Heroes 3 (complete version) and occasionally Heroes 5.

Of course, being a veteran (self-proclaimed) in these games, I couldn't wait to try out Heroes 6 when I saw announcement. I was quite disappointed when the game was out... Never liked what they did with game mechanics, read a lot about ever-present bugs... Not to mention that this Conflux/Dynasty/Altar of Wishes feature gives a feeling (at least to me) that this is some oversimplified browser based HoMM clone...

Still, it is summer sale on Steam and I wanted to give it a go, bought both MMoH6 games along with two DLCs.
Wanted to go straight away with Hotseat clash with my buddy, we ran into a problem...
- Dungeon faction heroes (or faction itself) wasn't there on the list for heroes/towns.
- Heroes were missing. At first, I thought that you just pick race/type of hero (no specialty), and the game gives you random one.

Can somebody please explain me the basic idea behind this game?
Do I really need to unlock all features/skills/heroes for Skirmish/Hotseat with Altar of Wishes?
Unlockable system should only have cosmetics in my opinion...
I feel like the game is constantly try to push me away with invisible in-game walls along with simplification. Unlockables should be purely cosmetic...

Sorry for rant and thanks in advance.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 14 Jun 2015, 10:25

First, Dungeon is not included in any of the two DLCs. It's part of the stand alone expension "Shades of Darkness".

Unlike other Heroes games you must (or really should) first create an own hero before starting a game.

To create an own hero, first click on the "My Dynasty" button in the main menu. Now, in the lower left of the pop-up screen click on the second symbol

To start making your own hero, click on the big plus symbol in the upper left corner. Unfortunately, by default you can only use the portraits which are available right from the start, you cannot unlock more.

However, if you are willing to invest a bit of your time, I can show you how to mod the game so you can switch out the portraits.

To play Hot-Seat you need to go to Multiplayer and again click on one of the buttoms in the lower left corner (it is the burning chair :P).

Regarding bugs, iirc all known bugs have been fixed.

To be honest, I think Heroes 6 has many interesting and highly sophisticated aspects and allows you to specialize your hero to a degree unseen in any other Heroes game up to date.

But to be fair, I only ever played Dungeon which is the only really fleshed out faction.

dixy1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dixy1988 » 14 Jun 2015, 11:02

Hey hey,
Yes, I saw all these features before I wrote post (or rant) here.
I saw that custom hero creation, I did a bit of self exploration before I came here disappointed 8|

I know how to make a Hotseat game, but problem is when we wanted to pick hero/faction, we only had two heroes (might/spell) from Necropolis, Sanctuary, Stronghold, Inferno. Thought at first, might be a map/scenario limitations... but again, all maps were the same, same choice...

I unlocked heroes for singleplayer... bought those for 0 currency available at Iron rank.

Regarding this newly added modding feature to the series: I agree, you can do a lot now... but its locked...
You could "customize" before, but it was randomized: starting bonus (resource, gold, artifact), town name bonus...

It feel super cheap that they added this mechanics of unlocking features in game... rewarding system should be only for portraits, titles, cosmetic looks for units...

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 14 Jun 2015, 17:06

With modding tools I mean the official tools used by Black Hole (maker of the game) which were leaked long time ago. It's hard to find them online, but I still have a version on my pc (so if you want, you can have it).

While the more advanced functions (changing statistics of enemies) worked only in previous patched versions, you can still exchange every texture in the game and even change some of the special abilities which is nice as well.

So, in order to have other portraits you can just replace the ones you don't like. And since you can also access the portraits from legendary heroes, you can override the portrait of a boring custom hero with one from the campaign.

I'm afraid this is the only way to unlock new portraits.

Of course, you can use the unlocked heroes, but they limit you in your preferences.

I personally made a custom hero with the beautiful portrait of Yrris ^^ (female Dungen campaign-hero).

dixy1988
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dixy1988 » 19 Jun 2015, 15:18

Nah, for now I will try to play and unlock stuff. Decided to give game a chance.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”