Creature Abilities

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
protecyon
Golem
Golem

Unread postby protecyon » 01 Dec 2005, 17:06

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/440

AlnOl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlnOl » 01 Dec 2005, 17:06

Nice description - it will be nice to see the whole variety and how it will play in the game, like the archer upgraded to marksman.
Food for thoughts

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 01 Dec 2005, 18:20

Very nice indeed. The only ability that makes me wonder is the Mages Magic Attack. If Mages are spell caster units is this ability their spell or a normal attack?
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 Dec 2005, 18:39

Most likely a normal attack, i hope! In H4 it was very annoying that Mages didn't have a normal ranged attack.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kronos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kronos » 01 Dec 2005, 21:18

I'm curious if a hydra atacking two enemies like on the screenshot, will atack each with only one head and the other heads will rest or if it will atack one enemy with more heads dealing aditional damage...

Daystar
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Daystar » 01 Dec 2005, 21:42

Cool! but still no pics of the dragons. however, the makers of the game seemed to be influenced by the heroes III necropolis. the familiars effect is from the wights/wraiths, and the vampire comes from the vampire. the mage seems to have a "Dragon breath" attack. The war dancer is also very cool.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 01 Dec 2005, 22:26

Nice indeed.

And notice, our first in-game glimpses of the Silver Unicorn, Ancient Treant, Mage, Gremlin and Minotaur Slave. :O)
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 01 Dec 2005, 22:38

I wonder about the mage's magic attack. Not being mele troops, they will be behind the academy's other units and so it seems at first glance that the attack will seldom be able to shoot downrange enemies without damaging their own troops. The same goes for when enemy troops penetrate the line of defence protecting the shooters. We'll have to see how it plays out in the game, but I am not too excited about this ablility.
Edited on Thu, Dec 01 2005, 15:40 by Grumpy Old Wizard
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hralcin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hralcin » 02 Dec 2005, 00:14

Aren't both golems and gargoyles highly magic resistant? If they're positioned in front of the mage, they may be able to protect him while taking only minimal damage from the Magic Attack.

AlnOl
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlnOl » 02 Dec 2005, 18:08

If the mage magik attack is "normal", then will it be the same for retaliation? I can see the enemy attacking the mage so that it is aligned with most of my units, therefore making more damage to my troops then to the enemy!
Food for thoughts

lordskeleton
Pixie
Pixie
Location: Sweden (You know, polar bears, close to switzerland)

Unread postby lordskeleton » 05 Dec 2005, 15:39

Well, daystar. The imps of Heroes IV had exactly this ability except that it wasn't calculated by stack size.
"Every enemy I've met I've annihilated!"
"Ehm.. Oh yeah?... well... eh... You fight like a cow!"

Kronos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kronos » 05 Dec 2005, 16:06

I don't remember how it was in heroes3, but the familiar special ability seems to be very fatal and effective to me as the mana points stealed are calculated by the stack size... a very large stack can steal all heroes mana for one turn!!!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Creature Abilities

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 Jan 2006, 13:22

Should watch out for friendly fire with those mages, lol =P

roguestate86
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Creature Abilities

Unread postby roguestate86 » 31 Jan 2006, 10:28

where's the full list? this is only some of them!

Sandro123
Pixie
Pixie

Creature Abilities

Unread postby Sandro123 » 16 Feb 2006, 10:29

more specials should be added. Like, the archer's special of firing on several adjacent tiles with 50% damage. This is lost with the upgrade to marksman in exchange for a slight increase in damage.

the mage's attack is really strange and I doubt that it will be widely used. Since magi are obviously spellcasters, is this attack a magic one or a normal?

It doesn't seem to be normal, but if it is, how can a normal attack be with rays shooting here and there? I mean, if it is a normal, is it melee or ranged? If it is, the black dragons would not be budget by it...

It is a strange attack, I am anxious to try it out!

Sandro123
Pixie
Pixie

Creature Abilities

Unread postby Sandro123 » 16 Feb 2006, 10:33

Also, the famiar's mana stealing is quite useful, although the familiars themselves are quite fragile. What happens to the mana if it exceeds the amount the hero's knowledge allows? Does it disappear or does it go back to the enemy hero?

Sandro123
Pixie
Pixie

Creature Abilities

Unread postby Sandro123 » 16 Feb 2006, 10:37

So my guess is that vampires also, not just vamp lords, can drain life? This is totally new and for me, it makes pointless the upgrade to vamp lords. It is my favourite creaature, so I don't want it deprived of all it's functions...

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Creature Abilities

Unread postby wimfrits » 16 Feb 2006, 10:57

Sandro123 wrote:This is totally new and for me, it makes pointless the upgrade to vamp lords.
I kinda like the genuine choices to upgrade or not as opposed to the nobrainers in previous games.

- both unupgraded and upgraded units are useful.
- upgrading does justify the cost, only cost is so high that you really need to choose which creature(s) to upgrade

This brings a lot more diversity in townbuilding and overall strategies than H2 or H3 had.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Creature Abilities

Unread postby Orfinn » 10 Mar 2006, 19:45

Yeah you have rigth there wimfrits, the upg system is more diverse than in H3, upg is a much more strategical and tactical choice than before =)

RommeL_666
Peasant
Peasant

Creature Abilities

Unread postby RommeL_666 » 11 May 2006, 23:12

hello,don t you think that Familliar steals to many mana???like I can in a demo just one time cast a spell then I am finished with my hero.

and the Druid in the demo is tooooo strong:x)

just my opinion,,:x)..
"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people"
jeff wrote:Me to, I usually hire the two best looking female heroes. Ok a bit of a sexist, but if I am going to stare a pictures all day, I might as well enjoy the view. :devious:

Return to “Articles”