H7 Collectors Ed. Available in US

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 25 Apr 2015, 14:04

Speaking of the game requirements, I have a question I hope those of you who are more tech savvy than me (that would probably be 99% of you) can answer.

Based on what I saw on the recommended config, my system is still better that what it calls for on the processor and RAM. Where I am going to have a problem is the video card so I will obviously have to upgrade that.

Here is my question. One of the recommended cards is the AMD Radeon HD7870. When I look on their site, this card's bus type is listed as PCIe x16 Gen 2.1. My system info tells me that my maximum bus setting is PCI Express 2.0x16.

Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to use the HD7870 card because it's listed as 2.1 whereas my system says I can only go up to 2.0?

Fuddelbaerentatze
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Fuddelbaerentatze » 25 Apr 2015, 14:42

I will not preorder and wait until reviews are out.Skill system seems mainstreamed to me. Its not about randomness for me, but about the lack of inter dependance of choices. The graphs that represent the choices seem way less complex to me then the H5 skillwheel.

As far as daydreaming is concerned, I still hope Van Caneghem will one day present a plan for a spiritual successor that will show us his vision for the future of homm.

mns3dhm
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mns3dhm » 25 Apr 2015, 16:44

I could care less about art books, lithographs, tarot decks, sound tracks, and the figurine would go in the trash. I would like to get the game beta simply because I would get the game sooner but there is no way I am giving Ubi money now and then have to wait four or more months for a delivery. Basically, they're asking us to help fund their development. Who knows if they'll even support the game? There track record on HOMM6 and M&M10 is they abandon games as soon as they are disappointed in sales.
Edited on Sat, Apr 25 2015, 12:45 by mns3dhm

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 25 Apr 2015, 21:58

@King Imp
There's no difference in speed between PCI 2.0 and 2.1 but it was added some more wattage to the PCI slot. So, it doesn't matter.

I would be taking Ubi specs with grain of salt, as there is no any logical explanation for such expirements if the game would be written well. So there are some graphical 'peaks' and with that annoucement Ubi just say that they will never bother to address them. Ever, it's left to customer to correct them with better hardware.

AMD HD7870 it's old model so it can be a little tricky with names. Nowaday it's called R7 265 and it's not seen often. You should start with R9 270X instead, for much better perfomance/price ratio. Don't worry with PCI 3.0 requirement the difference is still negligible here and of course it's backward compatible.

@
I will not preorder, first I might buy the game six months after to see if they are at least still patching. But I'm very vary after H6 experience. May ignore this release at all. H6 model of expansions, Complete and Gold edition was a tough lesson. With H5 they were somewhat fair.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 26 Apr 2015, 17:30

jeff wrote:I guess my biggest regret is the UBI's insistence on staying with the old stale H-III play format.
I see that more as a symptom of the underlying problem of lacking the vision to move the series forward. Had they chosen the H4 play format and then got stuck on that, it wouldn't have worked either.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 27 Apr 2015, 01:29

They can't move it forward, they can't make it traditional either.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 27 Apr 2015, 08:41

So the only way I can get a physical copy is to buy the Collectors Edition for $150, is that what Ubi are trying to tell me?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Apr 2015, 13:14

No, like I said in this article, you can buy the standard version either as a digital or a retail (box) version.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 27 Apr 2015, 14:15

Pol wrote:@King Imp
There's no difference in speed between PCI 2.0 and 2.1 but it was added some more wattage to the PCI slot. So, it doesn't matter.

So, even though my system says it can only go up to 2.0, I can put in a card that is 2.1 or even 3.0 and it will work?

As for the card in question, that's already pushing it price wise. I don't want to spend a fortune upgrading my card for one game as I rarely play PC games anymore.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 27 Apr 2015, 19:52

King Imp wrote: So, even though my system says it can only go up to 2.0, I can put in a card that is 2.1 or even 3.0 and it will work?
Yes
As for the card I understand your decision but you are getting an old model, in third quarter there will be new cards, would be better to wait and pick later. :)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 Apr 2015, 22:08

I have said I will not pre-order it, but I am glad that UBI finally has realized overlooking the Western hemisphere countries of NA, Central A and SA was bad marketing. Whether I buy it or not it is good to see it available.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 29 Apr 2015, 12:42

jeff wrote:... makes me pause and think. Has the need to please the young player require so much eye candy that the soul of the franchise has gotten lost. If the requirements were to drive an awe inspiring AI that might be one thing, but I think we know that's not true.
This "target" is affecting other and very different games. Hearts of Iron series is doing the same but <imo> What's a tad-mad is that in the case of HoI4 the game does't have the Battlefield level of HoMM or Total War. So I doubt single glorious Titans stomping over a stunning visual map is going to do flip for the younger folks, who are playing in near virtual reality FPS environments but it sure will tick off the older fans. In the end, another story of stiff-arming the old fan base, NOT for greener pastures, "only" the "lure of greener pastures." <imo> I am witnessing the same battle again, where a gaming-company appears to be driven by the "possibilities of the Future" at the near-disregard of the past. And yet, that past is why they are working on the present version of the game. Sadly, to me, Paradox has made a tragic leap that will come to no happy $ ending.

And that ending usually has something to do with this:

Since the Economy is far from rosy in the States, {and I doubt it's a golden-age anywhere}I wonder if any gaming companies are really stopping to consider the basics of a real market outlook? i.e. If more and more folks have to use an older PC. Then it should be; "forget bells and whistles just make a decent train."

I hoping the decision to use an existing engine will work well but seeing comments about high sys-req...oh no, again?

Return to “News”