The Damage is Already Done

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.

How enthusiastic are you?

I will preorder, even if it is $99
6%
I will preorder without paying a premium
5%
I will buy when it comes out, but I have not marked the day on my calendar
25%
I will wait for reviews and bug fixes before I buy
29%
I don't mind waiting a year for it to be discounted (OP's vote)
17%
Highly unlikely to buy, but if I get it for Christmas I will play it
12%
Absolutely nothing produced by Ubisoft!
6%

Total votes: 77

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 09 Apr 2015, 12:27

Dalai, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to end my contribution to our discussion at this point. It's been very informative about Heroes combat systems, and I thank you for that. I’d like to go beyond that, though, and explore new possibilities, but I don’t think I can do that here.

Anyway, take care. :wave:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 09 Apr 2015, 13:11

Remember when flying units had unlimited movement? :creative:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 09 Apr 2015, 13:13

No?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Apr 2015, 13:32

In H1 and H2, flying units would go all way to the enemy ranks. Only when you slowed them that they wouldn't fly over. But even rocs and sprites, who had Average speed, would fly the whole battlefield.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 09 Apr 2015, 13:35

Oh, I forgot about that. I haven't played H2 all that much, and I've only played one game of H1.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 10 Apr 2015, 22:43

The effect of the lack of movement restrictions and range limitations for Heroes 2 combat resulted in a sort of scissors-paper-stone character where flying troops would massacre shooters, ground troops beat up flying toops, and shooters destroyed ground troops.

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 11 Apr 2015, 23:46

Panda Tar wrote:In H1 and H2, flying units would go all way to the enemy ranks. Only when you slowed them that they wouldn't fly over. But even rocs and sprites, who had Average speed, would fly the whole battlefield.
It annoyed me to no amount, when I recently went back to play HOMMII on my tablet, since I tended to think in HOMMIII terms. :)

Sadly, based on gameplay videos, HOMMVII will continue the same trend as VI and V had, that some units can easily reach the other side of the map in one turn in battle. :(

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 11 Apr 2015, 23:51

Galaad wrote:
cjlee wrote:Ubisoft doesn’t care. So why bother to give them feedback? Why bother to criticize?
Because now they have gone Open dev, and they need a happy fan base wishing for stuff like arachnophile zen buddhists in the side of Order as necromancers or Legolas & co into Nature town, or DE in dungeon humiliating Minos, or I can go on but that's not the point (not even mentioning the wonderful mechanics we had in h6).

How convenient, they shut us up ten years ago.
Weird, are you the same Galaadeel from the Ubi site who had a chance to be on this Ubi convention? The HOMMVI-VII loving people there seemed to hang on to every word you said and did not hate you for disliking the game(s).

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 12 Apr 2015, 00:03

As for AOW3, it didn't catch me either on the first go, but since then the creators added a TON of new elements - race governance, lot of diplomacy options, made weak units more durable and gave interesting upgrades to them on level-up, and they even added 3 new races (Halfling, Tigran, Frostling) with some really clever skills. Halflings for example, have phsyical weakness and are slow, but they are "lucky" - like the Minotaurs in HOMMIV they get a % chance to avoid all damage. This however, depends on their morale, so you need to ensure they always feel happy, as many spells or ablities (undead, especially) can reduce morale, as can defeats or losing a hero. It's become a really complex and enjoyable game.
Sligneris wrote:
BB Shockwave wrote:Then we can ask JVC to kickstart a proper HOMM game. :) He must still be out there somewhere, no?
He is still probably around somewhere, probably even less interested in the franchise than Ubisoft is. Why do you ask? :)

Really, given how old pre-Ubi games are, I'd expect most people advocating them to be 20+ adults, but many of them approach this franchise with such childish naivety... :disagree:
BB Shockwave wrote:Also, as for the "damage already done" part, check the new Behemoth. All I can see is... this.
Heroes VII's behemoth actually looks way better than any behemoth in the franchise...? Really, what is it with you people. :|
I doubt he's uninterested in a franchise he started and ran for 4 games and which thousands loved. Did Bob Kane become bored of Batman by the end? Did Elvis stop singing? ;)

Yes, the new Behemoth is horrid. It's a gorilla with sloth claws and a tapir's TRUNK. The old Behemoth was a rock-monster with a huge mouth.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Apr 2015, 00:29

BB Shockwave wrote:
Panda Tar wrote:In H1 and H2, flying units would go all way to the enemy ranks. Only when you slowed them that they wouldn't fly over. But even rocs and sprites, who had Average speed, would fly the whole battlefield.
It annoyed me to no amount, when I recently went back to play HOMMII on my tablet, since I tended to think in HOMMIII terms. :)

Sadly, based on gameplay videos, HOMMVII will continue the same trend as VI and V had, that some units can easily reach the other side of the map in one turn in battle. :(
Yes, this is why I would really like the idea of having huge battlemaps with irregular terrain and the sort to make some obvious battle strategies, which lack in Heroes games, a bit more apparent, such as having shooters on high ground.

I have expressed some ideas in HC, if anyone is interested. But the resume of things propose there is like this:
  • • Shape of map tiles is hexagonal
    • Units have 3 sizes: small (7 hex), large (19 hex) and giant (37 hex)
    • Each size has innate capabilities regarding their interactions
    • Terrain is irregular
    • By default, the minimum land mass where a unit can locate itself equals 37 hex
    • Obstacles can be destroyed
    • Diversity in terrains and weather effects affect variables in mechanics
    • There is a flanking mechanism
    • Each unit has its own turn based on their speed
    • Special abilities and spells cost time to recovery, which means, it takes more time for a unit to resume charging their time to take action another action (turn)
    • Units stack
    • A unit has morale (for physical interaction), wisdom (for magical interaction) and luck (for interaction of odds)
    • Units have different actions and reactions
    • Ranged attacks and spell casting don’t cover the entire battle map. They have a limited reach
    • Hero is present on battlefield and has an area of command, where units get the most of the bonuses provided by their commander
    • Area of command can be breached by enemy forces and leave hero vulnerable for an enemy hero offensive duel
    • Also when there are too many opposing forces in comparison to defending forces in a hero’s area of command, the area is null and hero can get targeted by enemy units as well
    • Units can break the duel and defend their heroes, making an opposing hero retreat
    • When defeated having all troops defeated, a hero can surrender, duel or try a last stand (during which, one can try to flee)
    • When hero is defeated during a duel, before troops are defeated, different outcomes can happen depending on diplomacy, faction and other issues
    • Hero has many advanced classes based on skills mastered. There are many skills variations, such as universal skills, faction skills, race skills, class skills, specialization skills – within each of those there are unique skills for each Hero, making them stand out from each other even they have the same class
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 12 Apr 2015, 21:35

Image i am the voice of my own god... x)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 14 Apr 2015, 14:30

Groovy wrote:Dalai, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m going to end my contribution to our discussion at this point. It's been very informative about Heroes combat systems, and I thank you for that. I’d like to go beyond that, though, and explore new possibilities, but I don’t think I can do that here.

Anyway, take care. :wave:
Now I feel like a barrier to "exploring new possibilities" :(
No, I don't mind at all, you have my blessings. :D
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Apr 2015, 17:48

overall wrote:Image
Is the mean terrorist making you wear that sign Jimmy? You can tell me son.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

overall
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby overall » 20 Apr 2015, 20:13

No... its was some guy name Jesus... or was it a "Hey Zeus.".... you probably know him bit better... x)

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 21 Apr 2015, 20:52

ThunderTitan wrote:Is the mean terrorist making you wear that sign Jimmy? You can tell me son.
White socks with shoes is a definite distress signal!
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 23 Apr 2015, 15:55

Well, those system requirements seem a bit high for such game.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Apr 2015, 15:58

Indeed.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 23 Apr 2015, 23:49

Hopefully when they polish up the graphics, the system req. might be justified, but right now the game looks worse than H5 to me. ;|

Cristian
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cristian » 24 Apr 2015, 10:29

Already posted on the main page, copy / paste here:

Recommended requirements Heroes 7, 2015 Unreal Engine 3 game - Processor: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz or AMD FX-6100 @ 3.3 GHz RAM: 6 GB Video card: NVidia GeForce GTX670 or AMD Radeon HD7870 (2048 MB VRAM)

Recommended requirements XCOM: Enemy Within, 2013 Unreal Engine 3 game - Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or Athlon X2 2.7 GHz) CPU RAM: 4 GB RAM Video: 512MB Video Memory ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series/NVIDIA GeForce 9000 Series or greater

So should we expect a new buggy Heroes 6 game? Why are the requirements so high for such an old graphics engine?

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 24 Apr 2015, 17:11

I wonder why it's last gen.

Return to “Heroes VII”