Heroes 7 skill system

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 09 Apr 2015, 21:20

Visually, looks terrible.

Maybe I'm missing something, but looks like barb hero has magic skills.

Could have been much more easily explained with 2 minute video, but since it's almost the same as H5, that's really the only thing that needed to be written for veteran players.

Hopefully, every skill will be valuable this time around.

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 09 Apr 2015, 21:36

Heroes VI 2.0 incoming people.

Ps. Have you seen the Erwheel?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Apr 2015, 22:11

Well, Erwheel, for what it's worth, looks better than H7 Skillwheel.

Only to show my appreciation on that subject so far. Worse than expected, again, and this is still considering I wasn't expecting much.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 10 Apr 2015, 00:02

IDK since I never really enjoyed H5 and passed on H6; I am completely lost with this whole skill wheel thing. I prefer the more simplistic approach of the earlier chapters. Perhaps the Heroes franchise has just left me behind. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Galaad
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Galaad » 10 Apr 2015, 00:30

You're not the only one, we're revolting down here! Join the resistance!

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 10 Apr 2015, 18:39

Autoskilling
For beginner players, an option to let the game chose skill points spending automatically is provided. Using this system, you ensure the building of a solid, effective hero, at the cost of customization.
lol

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 10 Apr 2015, 18:43

You also have Warcries presentation.
Warcries are the counterpart to spells for Might Heroes (and they have the exclusivity for using them). Each skill rank (novice, expert, master) unlocks new Warcries, and abilities improve their efficiency.

Warcries appear in the “spell book” during combats, for practical reasons, but using them does not require any mana.
I'm not sure, but isn't this something people complained all the time about Warcries?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 10 Apr 2015, 21:38

As I wrote earlier, it doesn't make sense that they can learn magic skills while not being able to use "magic."

As I also mentioned earlier, just because you call it a war cry, doesn't make it function any differently than magic. ;|

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 11 Apr 2015, 06:18

Two observations

1) Heroes VI skill chart now redrawn as a circle. Ubisoft creativity at its normal.

2) Barbarians now more effective spellcasters than the professionals. But not to worry; when this becomes apparent, Ubisoft will patch it by letting wizards gain attack and defense much more quickly so that your best might heroes are Academicians.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 Apr 2015, 09:06

^ Welcome to the modern world, I guess... :ashamed:

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 11 Apr 2015, 13:57

cjlee wrote:Two observations

1) Heroes VI skill chart now redrawn as a circle. Ubisoft creativity at its normal.

2) Barbarians now more effective spellcasters than the professionals. But not to worry; when this becomes apparent, Ubisoft will patch it by letting wizards gain attack and defense much more quickly so that your best might heroes are Academicians.
It is, isn't it... :(

I don't want a replica reboot of old games I didn't like. Why must it be this way? :(

:(

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 11 Apr 2015, 22:57

To me that looks exactly like the V system... in VI, wasn't this a skill tree, with you having to unlock every migth skill and wizard spell one by one keeping to a pre-set route?
jeff wrote:IDK since I never really enjoyed H5 and passed on H6; I am completely lost with this whole skill wheel thing. I prefer the more simplistic approach of the earlier chapters. Perhaps the Heroes franchise has just left me behind. ;|
Same here. In fact, I hated the skill wheel of V, it was complicated and hard to use. Often you had to know information not available in-game on what specific sub-skills you had to take to get the super-awesome hidden skills unlocked.
The best would be a merge of the HOMMIII and HOMMIV skill system - make the primary skills useful like in 3, but give the sub-skills some meat too like in 4. But one thing's for sure, this better not have the spells only unlockeable by the skill wheel like in VI...

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Apr 2015, 15:04

If they're going to utilize the minimal possible original concepts for their game, then I wish more H4 game mechanics would start making it's way into there copying. :mad:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Apr 2015, 00:57

Me too.

But I wouldn't mind if they recreated the whole game from scratch.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 13 Apr 2015, 13:02

Panda Tar wrote:Me too.

But I wouldn't mind if they recreated the whole game from scratch.
Um... judging by Ubisoft's normal quality controls, I don't think that game would be playable.

It certainly won't look anything like a TBS or Homm.

Limbic-Jaelle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Limbic-Jaelle » 20 Apr 2015, 09:32

Hey fellas,

We are currently preparing a statement regarding the skillwheel mechanism. Could you please share with us your main concerns and questions (in bullet points) regarding this Topics, so we can integrate them in the feedback of our gamedesigners?

Important information: In this state of the game, there will be no changes in the system and the mechanics. We collected your feedback and worked with it. We would like to answer your question and concerns regarding this topic.

Thanks for your help and passion!
Cheers, Limbic-Jaelle

Short addition: This request is, to make things more clear, where it's needed. That's why we asked precisely for the open questions here.

King Imp
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby King Imp » 20 Apr 2015, 14:11

At least this skillwheel is part of the game and we don't have to open a separate file like we did in H5.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 20 Apr 2015, 14:26

Limbic-Jaelle wrote:Hey fellas,

We are currently preparing a statement regarding the skillwheel mechanism. Could you please share with us your main concerns and questions (in bullet points) regarding this Topics, so we can integrate them in the feedback of our gamedesigners?

Important information: In this state of the game, there will be no changes in the system and the mechanics. We collected your feedback and worked with it. We would like to answer your question and concerns regarding this topic.

Cheers, Limbic-Jaelle

Short addition: This request is, to make things more clear, where it's needed. That's why we asked precisely for the open questions here.
I'd really like to know how you think that the skillwheel mechanic is going to improve the game, rather than implementing a "free to choose" skill system like in H6.

Moreover, how will this system support the idea of making every hero unique?

I just don't see the merit in having many sub classes which are limited to different areas, rather than a single might or magic class with a truely unique class-skill (which was more often than not great to play around with) and enough openness to make whatever you want.

From my experience, people tend to stick to certain heroes forever, and less choice per hero will result in less diversity overall.

Erwinner
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Erwinner » 20 Apr 2015, 17:37

Limbic-Jaelle wrote:Hey fellas,

Cheers, Limbic-Jaelle
uh, why exactly should I bother sharing my concerns and questions if there will be no changes in the system and the mechanics? lol

Return to “Heroes VII”