Announcing Project Ironfist, new HoMM II mod

The old Heroes games developed by New World Computing. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 27 Aug 2013, 20:39

Ironfist has been tested on 4 different versions of Windows with 2 different versions of Heroes II Gold. If you tell us a little more, we can get this fixed for you very quickly. What exactly do you see before it crashes? Is there an error message?

TheRatt
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheRatt » 27 Aug 2013, 21:32

I open the exe, and I see the No CD mode screen, then immediately see the standard "Ironfist.exe has stopped working" message. When I troubleshoot compatibility, I see an error message saying "Debug Assertion Failed!" Clicking retry only goes back to the "Stopped working" message. I have Windows 7 (32-bit). I'm using the GOG version of Heroes 2.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 27 Aug 2013, 21:36

Taking this to PMs. I will make sure we get it working for you.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 29 Aug 2013, 12:34

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Awesome work. I just watched all the videos. I'm really impressed with all the effort you guys have put into this. Lots of people have had good ideas about modding H2, and now they'll have an opportunity to try them.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Bugle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bugle » 05 Sep 2013, 03:56

Oh wow, did I ever pick the right time to get in a Vintage Heroes mood. And here I was just going to go back to Shadow of Death.

And while this does look very promising, I do have a few questions before diving in...

First let's go with the big one: will this make my existing HoMMII unplayable unmodded? I'm sure I speak for many others when I say that while mods are great, every so often you want to turn them off and relive the original experience. Preferably without a complete reinstillation. I guess in simple terms: will we get a separate executable like IV's Equilibris?

It looks like at this stage you guys are at more of a proof of concept stage than a full blown game changing mod. But then it seems like this project is more so other people can create the full blown game changing mod. Is this accurate, or am I making a poor assumption?

Do the changes affect already existing maps? i.e. should I expect to see kobolds and harpies and so on wandering Pyramid for example? Or better yet the older campaigns?
Campaign and multiplayer modes are both currently broken. We expect campaigns should be easy to fix, but we would likely want to significantly rewrite multiplayer to make it better
Does this include the campaigns you added? Cause I am primarily a campaign player.

Any plans for secondary skills? More specifically adding new ones as I'm not really sure any old ones need changing.

In the initial announcement you mentioned new towns... has that happened, or is it still being worked on?

I guess that's it for now. Looking forward to more progress. And maybe when projects I'm working on settle down a bit, I might be interested in helping out a bit too (though that wouldn't be for a long time in the future).

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Sep 2013, 03:49

Thanks for the interest, Bugle. You have some great questions!

Ironfist installs well next to the original game. It is a separate executable and uses separate maps and separate data. The only thing that can go wrong is if you try to load an Ironfist-only map or savegame in the original.

Ironfist is much more than a proof of concept -- we've rewritten large swaths of the game to be moddable. It has an extensible scripting system, a new creature database, a new save-game format, and a lot of other massive internal changes. The cake is mostly done; what's left is icing. Then again, a full game expansion does need a lot of icing.

All Ironfist features are active at all times. We haven't yet made it so that Kobolds can spawn randomly, but you will see Ironfist-only spells in existing maps. You can also very easily add scripting to any existing map.

Campaigns and new towns have not yet been added for lack of things to put in them. New secondary skills have not been added for lack of ideas -- it should be very easy to add new ones.

Bugle
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bugle » 06 Sep 2013, 09:05

Okay, cool. I'll poke about in the near future and hopefully give some feedback, then.

Super Goober
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Super Goober » 27 Feb 2014, 17:16

I made this back when I first saw the Succession Wars mod for HOMM3. Does this fit well with HOMM2? It has no animations yet.

orzie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby orzie » 29 Jan 2015, 09:32

Okay, I guess it's time to refresh the thread.

Project Ironfist is still in development, and a new direction of work finally appeared.
It is the new 7th faction dedicated to the sci-fi aspects of Might and Magic 3-5: the Cyborg, being a partial tribute to MM3-5 and Heroes 3 unreleased Forge faction at the same time.

There are already some code adjustments which serve as a first platzdarm in inventing a new faction.

orzie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby orzie » 06 Mar 2015, 16:11

A final version of the Cyborg hero in battle. It also features color cycling animation in the game.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 09 Mar 2015, 08:54

For some reason I find it really hilarious that you use Alamar for this, but at least it looks great.

orzie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby orzie » 09 Mar 2015, 13:04

Alamar? O_____________o
Dude, it's Sheltem.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 19 Jun 2015, 01:21

How are you going with the project?

orzie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby orzie » 22 Jun 2015, 04:46

Luckily, we returned to work after Darmani's problems with booting into Windows. I sincerely hope to produce a notable amount of graphics for the new faction so we even could be able to make some videos.

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 08 Jul 2015, 02:47

I'm personally pretty excited to see what people do with the newest feature: You can, at any point during the game, give a player "shared vision," allowing them to see everything that an enemy or ally can.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 08 Jul 2015, 18:44

Sounds great! HOMM2 will always have a special place in my heart. =)

orzie
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby orzie » 16 Jul 2015, 15:12

Do you hate having to write down passwords for those border guards? So do we. With the release of Ironfist 0.8.2, now you don’t have to.

Visit the project website for more recent updates!

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Re: Announcing Project Ironfist, new HoMM II mod

Unread postby Darmani » 20 Jun 2016, 21:06

Hello Everyone!

Today I’m proud to announce a great development in Project IRONFIST! - as you all know the last few years have been a little quiet, but here over the past few months we have been re-igniting the engines of war! ….. and the progress has been amazing! Ironfist has gotten a new overhauled design, and many new features will be coming out in the following months!

To show off some of the new features we’ve created a demo map that will also be a prelude to the main Ironfist campaign.

New trailer

But the real news is that we’ve been gearing up to build the new Cyborg faction. We’ve tripled the size of the team in the last few months, and plan to grow a lot more.

We’ve designed a pretty exciting lineup of creatures for the faction, like the Shadow Warrior, whose venomous blades can make any creature it strikes more vulnerable to damage.

We have a lot more like that coming. We’ll have a large monthly updates and a smaller bi-weekly updates of our progress from now!

Want to join? Our team is now officially open for new-blood. Send a sample of your work to homm2ironfist@gmail.com . Do you have what it takes?
We’re now looking for the following roles:
  1. Graphics Designer (both 2D and 3D) - if you can turn 4 colors into a lush forest - then you are the one we’re looking for - Join our elite team to be a crucial part of the development of this awesome adventure!
  2. Code Ninja - if you have the talent and speed to dive into a codebase and build new features, or even reverse-engineer old ones, come join our elite group of developers and help shape this awesome Cyborg campaign! Also, did I mention the technology that makes our modding possible is seriously impressive (developed by an MIT computer scientist).
  3. Sound Designer - if you are able to manipulate sounds so well that you’ll be able to re-make retro music in a cool new campaign bringing sci-fi and fantasy into a unique clash - come join us!!
  4. Concept Artist - if you a have a passion for both Sci-fi and Fantasy, and you think you can bring to life the awesome characters and environments we’ve created - come test your skills with us!!
Join us in this amazing campaign to breath life into this awesome sci-fi fantasy game!!!

Onward!!!!

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 18 Aug 2016, 22:48

We’ve been cooking some things up over the last few months, and it’s finally all come together. Ironfist 1.2 is here!

The scripting system has been substantially improved. Want to track every square that each hero has stepped on? Now easy thanks to new improvements to map variables. Multiple new triggers and functions have been released. Zombies are waiting to jump out of every chest thanks to the insidious “StartBattle” function.

See it in action by playing the new (and final!) version of the map “Last Stand.” Many surprises await.

Soon we will begin announcing the new Cyborg creatures. Keep a watch on the next one….lest he disappear in a puff of smoke.

We are welcoming new members to our awesome team. Are you a kickass artists, stellar mapmaker, or coding rockstar? Send a sample of your work to homm2ironfist@gmail.com

Darmani
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Darmani » 06 Sep 2016, 14:14

Hey to all Heroes,

Today we are proud to announce the first creature in our new Cyber Faction!

It is the brand new Shadow Warrior!

These Elite Warriors volunteered to be augmented with cyber-enhancements to make them the ultimate stealth infiltrators!

They have trained in all martial arts for many years to become the perfect assassins!

They can skulk in the shadows and pounce on their prey, without warning delivering a lethal blows.

Their special shadow ability allows them to dodge the first attack on any round, which makes them a very unique dodge tank against foes and their poisoned daggers will render any target vulnerable to this turn’s attacks, making an awesome combo gameplay opportunity with all other units!!

We at Ironfist hope you enjoy the Shadow Warrior just as much as we do and stick around for the next update that will introduce the next awesome creature from the Cyborg Faction – the Cyber Behemoth – a hulking horror – part magical creature part augmented super giant!

Also a new alpha version for one of our first maps is in the works to test all the new creatures and we’d love to hear from some volunteer testers that would be interested to help us out with testing these awesome creatures!!

Thank you all – and see you in a couple of weeks with our next update!

So, till next time – Work hard – Play harder!!

P.S.

We’re on the prowl for new programmers and web-designers, so if you are one or know anyone with the awesome skill to join our super ninja programming team – please send us a shout. :-)

Return to “Heroes I-IV”