Effects

Forum for discussing the Heroic tabletop game
Groovy
Golem
Golem

Effects

Unread postby Groovy » 10 Jan 2015, 07:12

Effects are persistent results of the use of spells and abilities on the map. They place an additional maintenance burden on the players, so I'm not keen on having all that many. Currently, all the enchantment-type spell effects (+/- attack/defence/speed/range) expire at the end of turn, to avoid having to manage them with effect counters.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Feb 2015, 21:14

Is there others in mind?
  • Frostbites
    Rust (on constructs)
And one that drains magic, damages directly spell points:
  • Nightmare
    Miasma
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 14 Feb 2015, 18:49

There will definitely be others, I just haven't gotten to them yet. I'm adding them as I work on the factions. I'll add Frostbite when I get to the Frost faction, for example. I'm currently not modelling spell points, so there probably won't be a mana-draining type of effect.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Feb 2015, 18:56

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there would have spell points or not. Given that you mentioned things like 'dreams' and such, I also thought there could have an effect, 'nightmare', that would prejudice dreams upon the battlefield. But it's just as you said, given that you haven't gotten to them yet, I cannot guess how usable a suggestion can be. :D

I'll keep reading the other threads.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 14 Feb 2015, 19:35

A bit of background on what I'm trying to do with dreams.

I would like to create a magic system that goes beyond producing fancy effects and cuts to the core of what it means to be human. The role of dreams is as in real life - they inspire us and give us something to work towards (i.e. not just the dreams that you have while you are sleeping, but life goals, if you will). Magic is what happens while you are busy turning your dreams into reality.

This radically changes the magic model that I articulated last year. I haven't finished integrating the two yet. I don't think it will be easy to integrate them, but I hope that it will be worth it. It will certainly produce a magic model completely unlike any I have ever seen.

It will also make dreams quite a tricky resource to handle properly. They won't be interchangeable the way other resources are because they are personal. You can't stockpile them and then use them wherever you need dreams; they are only useful to their originator. Somehow I'm going to have to convey this difference via the game mechanics.

Sorry that I cannot give you more on this at the moment. I still have a lot of figuring out to do...

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Feb 2015, 20:01

It doesn't matter. :) We'll get back to it whenever you are ready with your thoughts.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Re: Effects

Unread postby Groovy » 06 Aug 2015, 16:28

Here are effects associated with the 8th iteration of the overall game design.

Return to “Tabletop Forum”