Dark Souls

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Dark Souls

Unread postby wimfrits » 05 Feb 2015, 15:45

A tip for all those (millions) fans of Severance: Blade of Darkness like myself.. I have finally found a game that managed to exceed the joy of Severance.

Dark Souls. Originally a console only game, ported to the pc a few years ago with some graphic issues that can be fixed with a community HD patch.
Dark Souls has that same gritty feel to it and is set in an intriguing open world. Combat system is good, with different movesets per weapon and magic/ranged to augment your melee skills. The game is far more unforgiving than Severance was, making it extremely frustrating at times but also highly rewarding.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 05 Feb 2015, 16:22

A friend of mine plays this and said it was very nice. I didn't try yet due lack of time. But what he told me got me interested: game is difficult. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 08 Feb 2015, 14:08

Indeed. This is by far the most difficult game I ever played.

I'm currently doing a second playthrough with a new character/different build. Now that I know where the completely unfair (as they should be) traps are laid, how to navigate through difficult sections, and the general strategies for tough enemies and bosses, I think the game is pretty tough.

The first playthrough was a complete nightmare. But fun nonetheless :D
Anyone else playing or played Dark Souls?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 09 Feb 2015, 13:12

:D

When a discount happens, I might buy it, to play later.

Haven't you tried DS2 yet?
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 09 Feb 2015, 18:35

I got DS for 10 euros at steam a while ago, which is a bargain considered the size of the game. Price has doubled now it seems.

Not sure about DS2. A friend of mine said it's fun, but that bosses are not as versatile and original as in DS. I'll probably wait for the discount ;)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Feb 2015, 19:48

My doctor forbids to play such insanely difficult games...
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Feb 2015, 04:40

I really tried to like Demons Souls on PS3, but I just found it obnoxiously difficult, and not in a good way. Cheap deaths and unforgiving in places where it didn't need to be. It felt like it was just trying to be difficult for the sake of being difficult, which seems to defeat the purpose of a game to me. Why not difficulty levels for those of us who like to play a casual game? Plus it's just impossible to progress if you can't dedicate a lot of time to it, which doesn't suit my lifestyle anymore. So, no Dark Souls for me. (The online community aspect is a turn-off, too.)
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 10 Feb 2015, 19:12

Well, I don't know. The game could have a scalable difficulty and have more cushioning to reach a wider audience. But there are already enough games like that. It kind of kills the originality so I applaud the developers for daring to be different. The game has a realistic feel to it that I have not experienced since Severance.
Corribus wrote:(The online community aspect is a turn-off, too.)
I agree with you there. As the game doesn't explain anything I didn't know how that worked. So one time I discovered the 'reverse hollowing' option at a bonfire, walked around with a real face for about five minutes before I was invaded and killed 8| I don't care much for PvP and had no friends for coop play, so remained undead for most of the game :)

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 10 Feb 2015, 19:20

It's a world of trolls out there. :D

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 11 Feb 2015, 00:24

Problem is, you just can't progress in a game like that if you are limited to 30 minute game sessions. I need games where I can make reliable progress in 30-40 minutes. Even if it's small progress.

And when I say, "punishing in places it didn't need to be", I refer to situations like where I accidentally attacked one of the guys in the Nexus (safe zone), and thereafter he was hostile and hacked me to death every time I tried to go there. There was no reversing it, couldn't reload, nothing. Game was ruined. Had to start over. Why? Just so they can say it's difficult? That's not difficult, it's cheap.

It's too bad - the game was really atmospheric, had awesome controls. I just didn't see the sense in putting in options so more casual players could enjoy it.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 11 Feb 2015, 07:16

You mean the crestfallen warrior, right? High level npc, low level player. He does warn you after striking him once. Attacking someone without consequences would kind of defeat the realism. It's an early teacher that the game has little cushions. It's not ideal but you can proceed to the next bonfire and do not need to return to the nexus before getting better gear and have a fair chance of defeating him.

I too often have a 30 minutes playing limit. In one part of the game this means I only have 1 shot at defeating a boss. That really reduces your 'getting in to it'. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Feb 2015, 12:39

Although I don't have that much time anymore, the prospect of a truly hard game, even that could feel unfair at times, is quite amusing to me, these days. :D

I know I cannot compare, but I had my share of unfairness replaying Mario Kart for Snes not long ago. The amount of AI cheating and bursts or unluckiness were almost overwhelming. Enemies jumping on deep water, red missiles simply dodging their mark for no reason, Toad bumping into my Bowser and launching him away as if I was a maggot. *sigh* I do prefer a game that's very hard and realistic and that you die thinking: "Ah, yes, that can happen." It might even feel unfair, but not the 'cheating-feel' kind of unfairness. :)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 11 Feb 2015, 14:26

Corribus wrote:Problem is, you just can't progress in a game like that if you are limited to 30 minute game sessions. I need games where I can make reliable progress in 30-40 minutes. Even if it's small progress.
I'm in the same situation. I had to give up on the RPG genre because I spent most of those 30-40 minutes trying to remember where I was supposed to deliver that stupid potion or staff in the first place. And I realized that completing games such as Skyrim or Dragon Age would take me years at that rate...

But I'm going to try The Witcher 2 soon. Let's see how that goes...
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Feb 2015, 04:26

wimfrits wrote:You mean the crestfallen warrior, right? High level npc, low level player. He does warn you after striking him once. Attacking someone without consequences would kind of defeat the realism. It's an early teacher that the game has little cushions. It's not ideal but you can proceed to the next bonfire and do not need to return to the nexus before getting better gear and have a fair chance of defeating him.
I don't remember what he was called, but this is not Dark Souls I'm talking about. No bonfires. The Nexus is the only safe place in the game, as far as I could tell. I don't remember receiving any warning not to attack, and in any case I didn't mean to attack at all. Simply hit the wrong button on the PS3 button and he was nearby.

I'm all for realism and all that, but when it's all said and done, it's still a game played with a controller. If you make a simple mistake many hours into the game, you shouldn't have to start all over just to make the game playable. It's bad design IMO, defended by simply calling it "difficult". I mean, hell, we can just defend any poor design decision in a game by just saying it was intended to be difficult.

Anyway, I don't need to get into an argument about it. Different games appeal to different people. There are sometimes just games I buy and they don't appeal, even if they're rated well. This specific case just was especially frustrating because the production values are undeniable and it's exactly the kind of game I like to play - it could have been made so much more appealing to me with a few simple options to appeal to people with different gaming needs and styles. The tragedy is that the people who like the game as it is wouldn't even have to lose anything at all. I just don't see the sense in such limited vision from a developer. *shrug*

@Angelspit

Yeah I don't play too many complex, sprawling RPGs any more. (Although, I adored MMX). Too much stuff to do and simply not enough time to do it in. I go for TBS, FPS, or action/adventure games mostly - ones I can turn on, play 30-40 minutes, and SAVE and feel like I accomplished something meaningful.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 12 Feb 2015, 17:24

Oh.. I see my mix up now. You were referring to Demon's Souls, the spiritual predecessor of Dark Souls. I can't comment on it as I haven't played it, but I also feel that you should never be forced to start over after being many hours into a game.

My guess is that developers have listened to the fans in that respect though. In Dark Souls the worse you can do is cut off a secondary storyline by killing npc's or blocking some weapon upgrade paths by killing blacksmiths.
The game is nowhere near as unfair as Mario Kart :D

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Feb 2015, 19:44

Well, that's a relief.

A game that I had to start over was MMX.

After beating the normal game, I downloaded the DLC, and then I simply couldn't beat Caindale, the first boss. No matter what. I tried N times, N strategies and then I realized that, to win, I would have to rely ENTIRELY on luck. That just won't do.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 12 Feb 2015, 23:41

Yes Demons Souls. So, maybe I shouldn't hold that experience against Dark Souls, I don't 'know. It's been on my Steam wishlist for a while and I've seen it for as little as $5. I probably would have just bought it and given it a whirl but I've heard the PC port isn't fantastic, particularly mouse support. Thoughts? (I don't play PC games with a gamepad, mouse and keyboard only.)

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 13 Feb 2015, 07:40

The port is supposedly pretty bad as far as ports go. To slightly compensate, the pc version is larger and priced attractively. It seems problems are that the game is not rendered in top graphic quality and that the mouse cursor is visible in game. I've seen both and have installed the community made DSfix to play in high resolution. And I swipe the mouse to the right of the screen to take care of the second problem :D

If you play without a controller, there is a DSMfix to take care of the cursor thing. There's a thread on steam that provides instructions on how to use the 2 mods simultaneously.

Since you say you played on PS3, I recommend connecting the PS3 controller to the PC and use Motioninjoy or JoyToKey to use that.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 24 Feb 2015, 03:11

I was previously led to believe the compatibility of the PS3 controller with PC was fairly poor - this is not the case?

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 24 Feb 2015, 20:43

Don't know. But I came across statements of how easy connecting a ps3 controller is when I was looking for a Logitech driver. Just search for 'ps3 controller on pc'

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”