Heroes III HD Review at PC Gamer

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Feb 2015, 18:04

PC Gamer <a href="/http://www.pcgamer.com/heroes-of-might- ... eviewed</a> the recently released HD edition of Heroes of Might and Magic III. They say the gameplay still shines after all these years:

"HOMM III remains an excellent game. Even with just the base, you get seven campaigns, 50 skirmish maps and a map-editor, and it’s only really the availability of the original that gets in the way. It’s a game best defined not by its strategy as such but in the satisfaction of each individual act; the turn-based equivalent of looting monsters in something like Diablo, with just about every move adding a little something to your stockpile of gold or gems or units, and building up towns and armies turn by turn, squad by squad, to be able to go from fearing a few wolves hanging around town to being an unstoppable deathball rolling over the whole map"

On the other hand, they cannot recommend the purchase of the HD remake:

"It’s hard to recommend anyone buy it. The redrawn graphics are okay, if nothing particularly special, but there’s a problem. The original version of HOMMIII is already available on GOG.COM, and fans have long since modded it to run at modern desktop resolutions. You don’t get the new sprites that way, but this is a turn-based 2D game from 1999. Updated or not, it was never going to out-shine the prettiness of successors like Age of Wonders III. Put against the original game, the difference isn’t even particularly noticeable."

Get the full review over <a href="/http://www.pcgamer.com/heroes-of-might- ... /">here</a>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1423073076
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

crees0921
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby crees0921 » 05 Feb 2015, 13:15

I have two faults with the HD Edition. The extended set of HOMMIII maps that come with the original version don't work. That's a bit aggravating. It also requires Steam which wants to always run in the background and is a bit of a hog.

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 05 Feb 2015, 14:22

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41033

Modders already found a way to set HD edition compatible with AB/SoD maps + integrating random generator. And the first version of the patch is dating from...the 29th of january, the release date. This says long on official programmers skills.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 06 Feb 2015, 13:05

In Skillful & Dedicated, Unpaid, Non-professional Modders we trust! :D
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

Neidhaart
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Neidhaart » 06 Feb 2015, 14:20

Well, modding is proved to lenghten the lifespan of most games.
"I did put the fires out."
"You made them worse!"
"Worse?!... Or better?"

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 06 Feb 2015, 15:42

Is the Space button on (let's say Watermills) not working again on purpose? I find this annoying as f~ck.

Yurian Stonebow
Archmage
Archmage

Unread postby Yurian Stonebow » 06 Feb 2015, 17:55

You find it annoying because that particular feature you complain about (and not in a polite way, too) was first introduced in the Shadow of Death standalone/expansion? And let me guess... There are no damage dealing moats and they forgot to add in the Combo Artefacts...?
Don't worry if things are going badly today. They will be much worse tomorrow.

ttague2005
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ttague2005 » 08 Feb 2015, 00:05

Steam is performing the first time setup of Microsoft VC AGAIN! DRM'd games really stink.

crees - I am not sure why Steam thinks this the first time I am playing H3. I can reason that the people making decisions on how games are sold and distributed never played a game in their life.

Here is a review of this not complete game. Sitting in the moats does not yield damage, the flies do not cast weakness, the thunderbirds do not strike with lightning, the video is glitchy, the game is MUCH slower than H3, etc. Doesn't anyone that cares tests these games before they go on sale?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 10 Feb 2015, 17:34

It's been shown in H7 council that they do care about graphics, fancy animations, ultra-detailed bullsh*t that you won't happen to be interested in zooming in other than once. But nothing else that much. That could be expected, really. Although having old games we liked revamped into more advanced visuals is almost a sign of respect, it has no other meaning or purpose.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 11 Feb 2015, 00:26

This HD game is such a scam, since they don't have the resources to do the same for the expansions. Meaning, no serious Heroes player will really get it for anything more than to fulfill their desire of collecting everything there is about Heroes.

No thanks.

I'd much rather they remake Heroes 3 exactly with the same design and add more expansions and continue on the old storyline.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 11 Feb 2015, 08:52

I'm not the biggest fan of H3 any more (loved it back in the day). I bought it to have something to play on the ipad. Very happy with it. No way I'd buy it for the pc, don't care about the graphics upgrade, have it on GOG anyway.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 12 Feb 2015, 01:51

There is a free Heroes 2 app available in Google Play which has many great features added. Unfortunately, it's probably not available for Apple-loving Aussies who don't have good taste for technology.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 12 Feb 2015, 09:35

Your username on the 3DO messageboard was more apt. :p

ttague2005
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ttague2005 » 21 Mar 2015, 21:56

Is there a patch yet?