Factions line-up

The game Might & Magic: Heroes VII, developed by Limbic Entertainment.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 04 Dec 2014, 20:04

Now that we have a decorated faction, I'd like to see a hollow one - Necropolis. Not that green happy gleaming thing as they have been doing since H5, stuffed with armor.

In older editions, the H2 Ghost was awesome. Scary, hollow. Everything about it was dreadful, the sound when it flew towards a peasant stack (just after multiplying itself when killing those weak bastards, damn it!), the way it screamed when being hit. In 3, wight and wraiths were a reasonable ok. Then, they completely and utterly screwed up in H4. H5 was less terrible, but still, gleaming all the while.

Liches were so nice in 2 (rather cute in 3), with their ranged attack that seemed truly devastating. In 3, it seemed that the attack lost its impact, became more like a poisonous gas only. And their art was also hollow. The crown gave them an aspect of lost grandeur.

Skeletal dragons and Ghost dragons in 2 and 3 were also pretty neat.

Even zombies in 2 and 3 had some undead feeling about them that's nonexistent in H5-6.

Regular troops, or anything except for Liches, should be lifeless, like this picture:

The most alive feature applicable on undead, imho, would be a faint gleam in the depths of big black eyes, something along these lines. A thing that you would look upon, see that it is dead, but still, there's something wrong about it, something is there that shouldn't be. As I recall reading somewhere: "When you look too much into darkness, darkness looks back at you".
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 11 Dec 2014, 17:23

Hum, thiswould look nice on my fridge.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 Dec 2014, 18:15

Yes, they could make it out of metal.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 17 Dec 2014, 17:25

I wished they would start hinting other line-ups. Those we know nothing about, less yet than Jon Snow.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Dec 2014, 18:12

Oh, we know something - that Heroes 7 heavy reuse Duel of Champions cards artworks. Haven and Academy creatures are present in DoC and I think most of Stronghold and Necropolis units also are present in its latest expansions (Heart of Darkness, Griffin Bane and Sins of Betrayal).

Creature from this card:
was present on some Heroes 7 promo materials.

Also, there was this picture found on one of H7 artists site:

Note: It could be Heroes 7 art but also it could be some scrapped concept art or even concept art not related to H7.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 20 Dec 2014, 19:22

Avonu wrote:Note: It could be Heroes 7 art but also it could be some scrapped concept art or even concept art not related to H7.
It sucks either ways.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 20 Dec 2014, 19:27

*sigh*

Thank you for this deep, detailed and comprehesive analysis. :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Dec 2014, 20:18

The second one has terrible resolution. :tongue:

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 21 Dec 2014, 09:41

8|

But... but... it was done with the highest level techniques available, full HD and in 4D! I don't know what can be wrong with it resolution? Maybe it's your harware fault? Yes, it must be hardware. :P

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 25 Dec 2014, 04:19

Damn it, that must be it. :D

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 27 Dec 2014, 17:15

I really detest the names and suspect that quite a lot of people do too. I suppose most of these names are not much rooted in mythology and have little support from stories that we know. EG Cabir (wherever the hell they took that name from) is definitely nothing compared with Halfling or Hobbit or Gremlin in name recognition.

That said, I am so relieved that game developers are making some effort to respect fan preferences in H7 that I'll overlook everything that I dislike. Fine, Landsknechts instead of Crusaders. If that makes the developers happy and more likely to respect fan preferences eg in making a nicer town screen, I'll put up with the developers' idiosyncratic preferences.

EDIT
I just googled Cabir, and found that there are no mythological creatures associated with them, at least on the first page of a google search. It's a Malware/ Computer Worm!!!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 Dec 2014, 12:36

@cjlee
Landsknecht is an original existing unit, although I dislike this term as too mundane. (It's just sort of mercenary unit with pike, so falls under pikemen). For someone from germany it may not comes so obvious - as it's their own word. Therefore Limbic may see it as wonderful.

There are better monsters, for example Fext, Monocerus, Crocotta or some classic like Nightmare, Ghost, Mantis, Giant Spider.

As a matter of fact I expect that MM:H7 will have a bestiary. And perhaps some encyclopedia. It would be a logical step after its predecessor.

For Cabir I don't know. First google is not source of all wisdom, second, the nature of google is that it index most known linked texts - so worm will have thousand more links than mythological beast.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 28 Dec 2014, 14:17

The cabir is inspired by the salamander, I believe. I don't care too much about the names; if they're silly they just give us something to ridicule. ;)

Anyway, the most important thing is that the game plays well - I'm sure we all agree on that.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 28 Dec 2014, 18:20

Pol wrote: As a matter of fact I expect that MM:H7 will have a bestiary. And perhaps some encyclopedia. It would be a logical step after its predecessor.
An encyclopedia of bugs is indeed likely to appear.

AFAIK the official inspiration for cabir was:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabeiri

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 28 Dec 2014, 19:14

Pitsu wrote: An encyclopedia of bugs is indeed likely to appear.
I meant in-game Bestiary from Ubi, not bugs list from fans. As for the second one I need from Ubi only the fixes and not knowing about it at all would be the best.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

BB Shockwave
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BB Shockwave » 09 Jan 2015, 21:16

No to mention how friggin' UNORIGINAL they were with Haven. Look at the units - everyone, even crossbowmen - have the same style helment. Since the maps are large, from above every unit will look the same. Heck, the pikeman looks the same as the cavalier, just without a mount.

And the wolves... seriously? How unoriginal can they be to just steal Game of Thrones' direwolf idea, and then just give them the old griffin's unlimited retaliation. How about something original, like King's Bounty did where wolves can howl to scare low level units and their bite can make enemies berserk with rabies?

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Jan 2015, 17:05

Aaaand here it comes, Necropolis line-up. Look at the size of this skeleton:

It's bigger (armored) than the Gaint Mutated Whale.

I'm already half expecting a vampire being like this:

:disagree:

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 21 Jan 2015, 17:39

Oh, man... purple... :hanged:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 21 Jan 2015, 17:54

parcaleste wrote:Oh, man... purple... :hanged:
What's the problem with a 'no glowing' option, I ask? Void, dead, rotten, eerie, blunt, lifeless, opaque. Dunno, that's what I think of Necropolis should-be designs.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 21 Jan 2015, 18:48

Panda Tar wrote:
parcaleste wrote:Oh, man... purple... :hanged:
What's the problem with a 'no glowing' option, I ask? Void, dead, rotten, eerie, blunt, lifeless, opaque. Dunno, that's what I think of Necropolis should-be designs.
no matter what colour, people will always complain about necropolis...

Return to “Heroes VII”