The Demo Won't Run

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
soupnazii
Genie
Genie

The Demo Won't Run

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Apr 2006, 00:24

OK, so i downloaded the demo, and now it dosent run. halfway through load, it crashes. in duels, when the other guy puts down his guys, it crashes. i have relatively new computer (September 05). its a Dell Dimension 3000 proccessor. i have 20" screen and run game in 1280x1024 reso on lowest quality settings. i tried lowering resolution to 800x600, but it still didnt work. During Beta: sometimes the game would crash through load. when it didnt, and i got into a battle, it would immediatly crash, and if not then it would crash halfway through battle. once or twice, i actually managed to get through a battle, and i went underground. it immediatly crashed.

Note: I am able to run Age of Empires 3 on my comp on 1280x1024 reso on highest detail setting perfectly. i dont think the problem is that my comp cant handle the graphics.

Also: i did not "register the product" or whatever its called. could this be why its not running?

Please help me someone!!

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 21 Apr 2006, 01:09

The Dell Dimension 3000 has Celeron D and Intel Extreme graphics, right?
I hope for you the problem isn't graphics because if I remember well there is no AGP or PCI express slot on those computers, which means no way to install another graphic controller.

The readme contains these lines however:
- Video : 128 MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4200 / RADEON 8500 or higher video card (in minimum requirements)
and
- Video: 256 MB AGP 8x GeForceFX 6600 / RADEON x800 or higher video card (in recommended requirements)

I don't know much about the power of the intel graphic chipset you have, but I do know two things: it doesn't support hardware T&L, which may be a requirement for the game as it is for most other ones, and it takes 64MB of system memory ("shared memory") for graphics. You may have a chance if hardware T&L isn't required (not sure it would launch at all if it was) and if you can increase the shared video memory to 128 in the bios settings.

However it may be something else, some compatibility issue with celeron D processors for example, or overheating system. It probably isn't audio since I'm using the onboard chipset too (which should be the same) and I hadn't such problem. You can still try to disable it if you want.

Oh, and it has nothing to do with registration.
Image Spiritu Insanum

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Apr 2006, 01:51

ok thnx i'll try. also, what i meant to write aboe was that it's a Dell Dimension 3000 *with an Intel celeron* proccessor. thats what it says on the front of it, and thats all i know.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Apr 2006, 03:32

i have another question: does this mean the finished game wont run on my comp? cause im really looking forward to 5 after 4 ruined it...

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 21 Apr 2006, 04:13

Can't be sure but if you can't run the demo, I think you won't run the final game. If you can't find a fix on your side, I'd advise you to wait for a demo patch or new version (sometimes when they fix big enough issues they release an updated version). You may also read changelogs of official patches to see is a specific issue that looks like yours has been resolved.

Since intel is n°1 on the graphic chipset market, that issue will probably be reported elsewhere or confirmed in some way if it's related to it. You may also ask on the official forums if you didn't already but I fear the only answer you'll get will be that your graphic controller doesn't meet the requirements (like they tested it :rolleyes: ).
Image Spiritu Insanum

trailMix
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: The Demo Won't Run

Unread postby trailMix » 21 Apr 2006, 06:40

soupnazii wrote: [snip]
Note: I am able to run Age of Empires 3 on my comp on 1280x1024 reso on highest detail setting perfectly. i dont think the problem is that my comp cant handle the graphics.
[snip]
Actually, Intel "Extreme" IGP is a pretty slow graphics processor. Unlike the previous generation of graphics processors, Intel actually embedded the graphics function into the Northbridge chip. Since Northbridge chip is absolutely vital in order for your PC to function, the graphics processor has to deal with what little silicon real estate it gets. So it's missing quite a bit of functionality. Even high end graphics card that's 4-5 years old can out perform it easily.

That being said, have you tried setting your graphics to "lowest quality"? I don't think it's the hardware T&L that's causing the problem. It sounds more like your IGP is running out of texture memory. Also check the "no eye candy" as well. Try running with these settings at 800x600 again. Hopefully, it will run. Otherwise try to increase the texture memory to 128MB if you can as Wildbear pointed out.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Apr 2006, 17:59

ok ill try that. thnx.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 21 Apr 2006, 18:10

ok, do i ran the game in 800x600, on lowest detail setting, checked the "no eyecandies" box, disabled the audio, and it still crashed. Can i ask what u mean by increase video memory to 128MB? i know how to get around the computer pretty well, just tell me where it is.

btw, i check the box that says "use HW cursor", because unless i do everything in the main menu runs VERY choppy and i can barely move the mouse. even on 800x600 its still a little choppy. would that have any effect?

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 21 Apr 2006, 19:01

If it's possible it's probably somewhere in the bios, you should search in your motherboard manual. Look for something like shared memory or video memory.
Image Spiritu Insanum

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 22 Apr 2006, 20:05

turns out it was already on 128MB. changed it to 256MB, and there was no difference. so i ordered 1: more memory, and 2:a new graphics card. 1 more week, then we'll see if it works....[/i]

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 30 Apr 2006, 19:57

i got the graphics card (Radeon PowerColor 9250 or something) and installed- the Demo works!! :D :D :D

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 10 May 2006, 08:06

Uh, where did you buy those things?
I think my computer might need a boost as well ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 10 May 2006, 20:54

i dont remmember where, actually. first i looked up "dell dimension 3000 graphics upgrade" or something to see what oother people did about upgrading this type of comp. turs out the Radeon one i got is pretty effective and doesnt cost so much, so i ordered it from somewhere.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 10 May 2006, 21:47

Congradulations on getting the demo to run... amazing what a decent video card can do for you... so many folks have problems just because of a crappy video card.

Always been an NVidia guy myself (got a GeForce 6800GT right now), but even an ATI 9250 is worlds better then Intel Extreme on-board graphics!

Have fun!

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 10 May 2006, 22:29

thnx. of course, i didnt get the card just for H5. i have no other games right now above my computer's ability to play, but i know that future games will get progressively more realistic, and thus i need a better cardd to be able to play them.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 11 May 2006, 01:32

Well, there are folks who will buy ten games (for $50 bucks a pop) and complain how horrible they run on their system...

Where a smart guy will buy seven or eight games and pick up a $100-$150 video card (for the same total price) and enjoy all his games with smooth frame-rates!

Welcome to the smart-guy club! A good video card will get you lots of mileage in gaming!

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 May 2006, 02:25

agreed.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 11 May 2006, 09:14

I gotta try that :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 May 2006, 11:23

Hmm... right now it's RAM that i'm missing... a video card is nice and all, but without enough RAM it's Lagville all the way.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 May 2006, 21:33

true but that wasnt the problem for me.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”